Windows 10: Associate .dat files to NotePad

Discus and support Associate .dat files to NotePad in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am trying to associate a .dat created by one of my software packages with Notepad so that the file that is created can be saved to my computer. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RickLoggins, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Associate .dat files to NotePad

I am trying to associate a .dat created by one of my software packages with Notepad so that the file that is created can be saved to my computer. When I go to the Associate App page in Settings and click on .dat it gives me a message that no app is downloaded to use for .dat files. Notepad is on my computer. Why will it not allow me to use it for the association?

:)

RickLoggins, Apr 8, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

*.dat file is opening in Notepad

Hi Muaaz

A Dat file is not an executable file, it is generally a file containing data for an application (executable)

It is not easy to remove a file association in Windows 10, here is a trick that will do that for you . . .

Open Windows File Explorer

On the view Ribbon (tab) check the box marked 'File Name Extensions'

Close File Explorer

Right click your Desktop and choose New - Text File

Right click that text file and choose rename, then change the file extension on that new file from .txt to .exe

Confirm the change

Right click a .dat file, choose open with - Choose another App

Check the box marked 'Always use this app to open .dat files' - IMPORTANT!

Scroll to the bottom and click 'More Apps'

Again scroll to the bottom and choose 'Find another app on this PC'

Navigate to the dummy file exe on your Desktop and click OK

The .dat file will not open

Delete the dummy exe file on your Desktop and restart your PC

The file association will then be broken!

DaveM121, Apr 8, 2020
  3. all my dat files run a video editor

You wrote - im trying to change the dat files back to to default so they work properly

That is why I am asking what was the previous default. Generally dat files are associated with text editors such as Notepad.

Vijay_Verma, Apr 8, 2020
  4. Associate .dat files to NotePad

unintentionally set Notepad to save files as .dat files. I want to change this so files are saved without .dat extension.How do I do that?

Original title: Notepad with .dat file extension

I unintentionally set Notepad to save files as .dat files. I want to change this so files are saved without .dat extension, in fact with no extension at all.. How do I do that?

Thank you.

LynnFremd678, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

Associate .dat files to NotePad

1. Associate .dat files to NotePad - Similar Threads - Associate dat files

2. DAT file concerns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DAT file concerns: Just now, I deleted a lot of temp files. I was going really fast and I ended up deleting some DAT files. I read about these just now and I learnt that they contained critical about programs used to create specific files. I also read that DAT files can have Windows registry....
  3. DAT file concerns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DAT file concerns: Just now, I deleted a lot of temp files. I was going really fast and I ended up deleting some DAT files. I read about these just now and I learnt that they contained critical about programs used to create specific files. I also read that DAT files can have Windows registry....
  4. .dat file are appeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .dat file are appeared: hello Suddenly some files are appeared on my desktop which are of .dat extention .files names are : backup.dat and settings.dat so i want to know that this kinda file can harm the laptop or not ?thank you...
  5. .dat file are appeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .dat file are appeared: hello Suddenly some files are appeared on my desktop which are of .dat extention .files names are : backup.dat and settings.dat so i want to know that this kinda file can harm the laptop or not ?thank you...
  6. .dat files now open only with notepad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .dat files now open only with notepad: Hey! Actually, .dat now opens up with only and only notepad. I don't know, how to change that to the no software as default. Please, help me with that....
  7. Delete a DAT file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete a DAT file: Hello, My program SuperAntiSpyware detected a malware file named "UsrClass.dat", because this is a Data file when I try to delete it an error message appears "this action can't be taken because the file is open in the system". How can I delete this file? Thanks,...
  8. *.dat file is opening in Notepad

in Windows 10 Customization
    *.dat file is opening in Notepad: I accidently select the notepad for always use this program to open this type of file, but I want it to change to always ask which app to open it. Please help how to change it to default....
  9. Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803

Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803: Hi, I need to associate a file type of .opt with Notepad, but .opt doesn't show on the "Choose default apps by file type" screen. Is there a way to do this? Thanks....
  10. Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803

Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803: Hi, I need to associate a file type of .opt with Notepad, but .opt doesn't show on the "Choose default apps by file type" screen. Is there a way to do this? Thanks....