Windows 10: Associate/Open files with portable apps : still not possible?

Discus and support Associate/Open files with portable apps : still not possible? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, when i tried 10 (about 6months ago i'd say), what made me go back to 7 was that issue : It wasn't possible to associate (& therefore open)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by unko, Jul 30, 2016.

1. unko Win User

Associate/Open files with portable apps : still not possible?

Hello, when i tried 10 (about 6months ago i'd say), what made me go back to 7 was that issue :

It wasn't possible to associate (& therefore open) filetype with portables apps. Is that still the case?

:)

2. Awin1 Win User

File associations broken post Anniversary update

Has the Anniversary update broken the way file associations use to work for portable applications. Prior to the update, any portable program could be set as the "default app" (eg browser, video player) once it had been associated with a file extension eg.
    Smplayer associated with .avi, and it would be visible in the drop down list of known video players. But now it looks like it doesn't applear in the drop down list, unless I manually set many file associations to a portable app, and then it _might_ appear.

Another issue is when I change the "default apps", not all the file extensions are changed to the new app, eg. setting smplayer to be the new default app for video player does not change .divx or .m4v which is still set to the built in "Movies and TV".

Is this problem also related to Anniversary update removing classic shell?

Awin1, Jul 30, 2016
  3. Microsoft Edge Overrides Default Program for PDF

Thank you for your help first.

I'm using a portable version of Acrobat DC, unfortunately it seems only the last method works( http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/edge-hijack-pdf-htm-associations/ )by
    adding a registry value NoOpenWith. But the problem now is after open a PDF, the software simply won't open another unless I close the previous one. And when open the first PDF file, the icon of the file changes, so I guess the value of the registry has changed
    during the opening procedure?I really prefer to use portable apps if possible. Do you have any idea how to handle this?

Thanks.

Zheng Yuen, Jul 30, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Could be, installed programs have to write to the Registry and the portable apps I've used didn't.

Berton, Jul 30, 2016
  5. Gort Win User
    I've done this on Windows 10 recently, as I associated the portable version of Irfanview as my image viewer for certain image file types.

In File Explorer, right-click your file, then go to Open with, then select "Choose another app". You then have to click near the bottom of the dialogue box (scroll if need be) and choose "More apps". Then scroll to the bottom of the box that comes up and choose "Look for another app on this PC". This will open up a file chooser, so go and find the executable of your portable app and select. Then click the box that has "Always use this app to open *** files" (*** being the file extension). The application should be associated with the file type.

6. unko Win User
    I'll try again ASAP. But sometimes the portable app isn't launched by its main exe file, it's launched by another exe which generally display the logo of the maker. Is that your case? Guess not.

7. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Associate/Open files with portable apps : still not possible? - Similar Threads - Associate Open files

2. 'Open file location' gives 'file does not have an app associated...'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'Open file location' gives 'file does not have an app associated...': I believe this started happening when a program I installed modified some entries in the Registry. I tried System Restore but I got an error that has something to do with the WindowsApps folder, but long story short, I can't perform a System Restore. sfc /scannow and dism...
  3. File explorer slow to open, Windows apps have no app associated.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer slow to open, Windows apps have no app associated.: Hi! I've had this issue ever since I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10, but I never found a solution.The issue is that when I boot my pc, there's a ~50% chance something will be 'wrong'. And when it goes wrong, it's always these two things:1. Windows apps like settings have no...
  4. Double click doesn't open files associated with apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Double click doesn't open files associated with apps: Cannot figure out what has happened. I have Win 10 Pro ver 2004 OS-19041.685. A simple text file .txt will not open with Notepad after a double-click. I have to start Notepad, browse the file, and first then it can be opened. The same problem occurs with other associated...
  5. Is it possible to install windows on a portable ssd?

Is it possible to install windows on a portable ssd?: I was thinking about getting the samsung t5 or something to put windows on there. Is that possible or is the portable ssd just there to store files? Kann man auf einer portable ssd windows installieren?
  6. File App Association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File App Association: There isn't a file option for .odm in default file association by app in settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-app-association/3e118cb5-61df-49e0-89ea-373fc0307092
  7. File/app association question

in Browsers and Email
    File/app association question: Today I checked which apps I have associated with which files. I discovered that .mht; .mhtml; and .website are associated with Internet Explorer which I never use. I tried to associate them with Chrome but the option is not available; I am simply told to find another app in...
  8. Does the old file associations menu still exist?

Does the old file associations menu still exist?: I'm on 1803 and had to clear some file associations manually the other day via the registry. I was unable to find the old Control Panel-based default programs menu. Is there any way to access the old menu? The file association settings offered by the Settings menu is...
  9. File type associated with App

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File type associated with App: I recently installed Office 365 on my NB running Windows 10 Home. Upon successful installation, I uninstalled my Office 2007 from the NB. Nightmare occurred - I could not double click the selected file and open it with the App. Instead, I have to open the App first and...
  10. Portable apps file association/open with//"Types.exe" app

Portable apps file association/open with//"Types.exe" app: Looks like another annoyance (don't get me wrong, i'm not a 10 hater *Tongue) : when i do "open with" and select a portable app, nothing happens :/ Also if in the portable app i tick options such as "show context menu", this won't take effect. All that worked fine on 7. I...