Windows 10: Associating .jpg files to anything other than MS Photos

Discus and support Associating .jpg files to anything other than MS Photos in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I can't change the default file association for .jpg files. The normal routes don't work:Settings/ Apps/ Default Apps/ Enter a Default Type. When you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by thisisb.s., Jan 1, 2022.

1. Associating .jpg files to anything other than MS Photos

I can't change the default file association for .jpg files. The normal routes don't work:Settings/ Apps/ Default Apps/ Enter a Default Type. When you type in .jpg, nothing appears in the "Choose default" field. In fact, nothing appears for any photo or movie extension. Settings/ Apps/ Default Apps/ Set defaults for applications. Other photo viewers such as Irfanview do not show up. Typing in the search box brings up an option to Choose defaults by file type. Photo files including .jpg do not show up in the file list.Right-click on any .jpg file, choose Properties, there used to be a Change but

:)

thisisb.s., Jan 1, 2022

2. When clicking the files getting error that the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.

Hello,

I understand that when you try to open the file, you are prompted that the files does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. We will certainly help you.

• What file are you trying to open?
    This issue is caused if the file is not associated with any of the application or program to open it.

If those files are the pictures as I can see that you are trying to access the picture folder. I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if the issue resolves.

• Right click on the file and select Open with.
    • Select Photo App or Photo Gallery.
    • Double click and check if you are able to open that file.
    Keep us posted if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 1, 2022
  3. Edwin Win User
    Setting File Associations - Another Step Backwards

Won't let me choose Photo Viewer for .ico files!!! *Mad
    Frig Sakes MS!!!

Associating .jpg files to anything other than MS Photos [​IMG]

Edwin, Jan 1, 2022
  4. Arul_D Win User

Associating .jpg files to anything other than MS Photos

Windows 10 - defaul photo program

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

As I understand that you are not able to see Photo Explosion in the list of default programs, I would suggest you to follow few steps to set Photo Explosion as your default program.

• In the search bar type Default programs and press enter

• Click on associate a file type or protocol with a program

• Select the file type which you want to associate with the photo Explosion.

• After selecting click on change programs

• Check whether you are able to see Photo Explosion in the list.
    Hope this information is useful. Do get back to us for further assistance.

Arul_D, Jan 1, 2022
Thema:

Associating .jpg files to anything other than MS Photos

1. Associating .jpg files to anything other than MS Photos - Similar Threads - Associating jpg files

2. JPG thumbnails associated with Photoshop show Photos icon - no thumbnail in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    JPG thumbnails associated with Photoshop show Photos icon - no thumbnail in file explorer: In File Explorer I can't see a thumbnail preview of a JPG file. I see an icon for MS Photos. Screen shots attached. I have cleared the thumbnail cache. Older jpgs have thumbnails, but those jpgs I created today I can only see the icon. Preview will not view these new files....
  3. Unable to associate .jpg files with an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to associate .jpg files with an app: I have Windows 11 home. I have many image files on a flash drive some of which are .jpg files. In Control Panel there is no .jpg entry for me to change the default application. Also, when I right click on the file, click More Options, click Open With, then Irfanview, there is...
  4. Unable to associate .jpg files with an app

Unable to associate .jpg files with an app: I have Windows 11 home. I have many image files on a flash drive some of which are .jpg files. In Control Panel there is no .jpg entry for me to change the default application. Also, when I right click on the file, click More Options, click Open With, then Irfanview, there is...
  5. .jpg files will not open using MS Photos app.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .jpg files will not open using MS Photos app.: On Windows 11.Starting recently. attempts to open .jpg images causes the error message "...The specified module could not be found"". I rebooted but this didn't help. I ran Restoro but it found no issues. I checked and image files open using other apps such as Paint and...
  6. .jpg files will not open using MS Photos app.

.jpg files will not open using MS Photos app.: On Windows 11.Starting recently. attempts to open .jpg images causes the error message "...The specified module could not be found"". I rebooted but this didn't help. I ran Restoro but it found no issues. I checked and image files open using other apps such as Paint and...
  7. Associating .jpg files to anything other than MS Photos

Associating .jpg files to anything other than MS Photos: I can't change the default file association for .jpg files. The normal routes don't work:Settings/ Apps/ Default Apps/ Enter a Default Type. When you type in .jpg, nothing appears in the "Choose default" field. In fact, nothing appears for any photo or movie extension....
  8. UNABLE TO OPEN JPG FILES WITH MS PHOTO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UNABLE TO OPEN JPG FILES WITH MS PHOTO: USING MS 365. HAVE UPDATED SOFTWARE. BUT NOW UNABLE TO OPEN ANY JPG FILES WITH MS PHOTO. THEY DO OPEN WITH MS PAINT & PAINT 3D BUT I PREFER PHOTO. USED TO OPEN AUTOMATICALLY WHEN I CLICKED ON THE PIC. JUST GET A BLACK SCREEN WITH NO PIC THEN GOES OFF. PLEASE HELP...
  9. File Association Broken for all JPG & PNG

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Association Broken for all JPG & PNG: I do know how to use open with and create proper file associations. And I am not having issues opening files in PHOTO or other graphic programs. The problem is Windows 10 has decided that all my photos are now SONY RAW files. I cannot upload them to Google photo. It...
  10. No jpg file association ?

in Windows 10 Support
    No jpg file association ?: I double clicked on xxx.jpg and LibreOffice opened. I wanted to change the program to IrfanView. I went in through Start > search > associations. How could they screw that up ? 10703