Windows 10: Associating .pl files with Perl installation

Discus and support Associating .pl files with Perl installation in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have just installed Perl from ActiveState in C:\Users\.., and now want to associate a .pl file with that.I have tried to follow the method starting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CVHorie, May 22, 2023.

1. CVHorie Win User

Associating .pl files with Perl installation

I have just installed Perl from ActiveState in C:\Users\.., and now want to associate a .pl file with that.I have tried to follow the method starting from ControlPanel>DefaultApps. But I can see no connection to the Perl App as an option. I have now clicked a wrong app in error, and I cannot delete that association.How should I make that association?Thank you

:)

CVHorie, May 22, 2023
  2. CVHorie Win User

I have just installed Perl from ActiveState in C:\Users\.., and now want to associate a .pl file with that.

I have tried to follow the method starting from ControlPanel>DefaultApps.

But I can see no connection to the Perl App as an option.

I have now clicked a wrong app in error, and I cannot delete that association.

How should I make that association?

Thank you

CVHorie, May 22, 2023
  3. Associating .pl files with Perl installation

Hi CVHorie,

Please try the ASSOC AND FTYPE commands in this StackOverflow post.

Associating .pl files with Perl on Windows 10 - Stack Overflow

If Perl.exe is not located at "C:\Perl520\Perl64\bin\perl.exe", use the correct path in the command-line.

If the commands don't help, let me know the path to perl.exe on your computer.

Ramesh Srinivasan, May 22, 2023
  4. VLMin Win User

How to run a perl script in Win 10

Thank you. I got the two set commands to work. Now I am stuck on what appears to be the final step, namely, the perl command itself:

perl -S annotate_vivaldi_bookmarks.pl -trees %HTML% %BOOKMARKS%

I got a message saying that perl is not a valid command. I tried putting "run" in front of it, but that did not help. I am in a CMD window, inside the perl folder: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ActiveState\bin. Do you have a next-step suggestion?

Thank you.

VLMin, May 22, 2023
Thema:

1. Associating .pl files with Perl installation - Similar Threads - Associating files Perl

2. Associating .pl files with Perl installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Associating .pl files with Perl installation: I have just installed Perl from ActiveState in C:\Users\.., and now want to associate a .pl file with that.I have tried to follow the method starting from ControlPanel>DefaultApps. But I can see no connection to the Perl App as an option. I have now clicked a wrong app in...
  3. Associating .pl files with Perl installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Associating .pl files with Perl installation: I have just installed Perl from ActiveState in C:\Users\.., and now want to associate a .pl file with that.I have tried to follow the method starting from ControlPanel>DefaultApps. But I can see no connection to the Perl App as an option. I have now clicked a wrong app in...
  4. Perl for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Perl for Windows 11: Hi All,I want to write in Latex under Visual Studio Code. I installed MikTex and Latex Workshop extension. But on test run of a latex file, I got an error"Make sure 'perl' is installed on your system."I went to perl.org website, but it seems that I cannot select Windows 11...
  5. Perl for Windows 11

Perl for Windows 11: Hi All,I want to write in Latex under Visual Studio Code. I installed MikTex and Latex Workshop extension. But on test run of a latex file, I got an error"Make sure 'perl' is installed on your system."I went to perl.org website, but it seems that I cannot select Windows 11...
  6. File Associations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Associations: I cannot associate a .xcfg file with its application TurboCAD Platinum 2021.The app is listed on the Start Menu, and is listed in All Settings/Apps and Features.xcfg is listed in All Settings/Default/Apps/Choose default applications by file type, but when I select xcfg I am...
  7. Perl download, not downloading?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Perl download, not downloading?: So I downloaded ActiveState Perl for Windows 10. I went through the download process, and then it said the download was complete. Although in CMD it says that the command Perl is not recognized, when I use: perl -v Any idea on why this is happening? submitted by...
  8. File Associations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Associations: I have imported and saved personal photos of friends and family. I would like to use them as screensavers on a random, rotating basis. When I go to Settings and Personalization, I am asked to associate all the photos I would like to use with a file or program extension. I...
  9. File association for installer file

in Windows 10 Customization
    File association for installer file: I clicked on an installer file from Metastockfile extension .eik to install it. Apparently, since a Windows Update was waiting for install it instead brought up the pop-up for Open with... In that I accidentally clicked with the default "Always Open with this option clicked"...
  10. File Association

File Association: I use MS Office 2003 with Frontpage which works well in Win and does all I need. How can I associate .html files to open with Frontpage. In Control Panel - set default programs it dos not show Frontpage as an option. In Control Panel set File associations - it...