Windows 10: Asterisk in Title of Untitled Notepad File

Discus and support Asterisk in Title of Untitled Notepad File in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Recently I opened a new Notepad file. While working in that unsaved file I noticed something odd I hadn't ever noticed before in the more than 20... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SamW.2, Aug 31, 2019.

1. SamW.2 Win User

Asterisk in Title of Untitled Notepad File

Recently I opened a new Notepad file. While working in that unsaved file I noticed something odd I hadn't ever noticed before in the more than 20 years of my experience with personal and professional computing, an asterisk was showing in the Title bar of the window in front of the word, Untitled. When I saved the document, the asterisk did not carry over into the new document name.

When I opened a new Notepad file, there was no asterisk in the Title bar until I added text to the document. My obvious question is why is this showing up? And, if this is a function of Microsoft, how long has this been something of a Microsoft feature and why? Or, could this at all be an indication of the presence of malware?

:)

SamW.2, Aug 31, 2019

2. Notepad title

When I use Notepad to compose a letter, how do I prevent the title from printing?

Trinity1969, Aug 31, 2019
  3. Ascii file in Notepad

Hi GreenGreen2,

This statement of an issue is quite unclear and incomplete to be understood by our readers. It is too broad for us to distinguish the main reason why you are having challenges/concerns with
    Notepad. To have a better understanding of your concerns, we'd like to ask you some questions:

• What is this file? Is it a Notepad
      file with ASCII characters inside it? or is file with ASCII characters named on it?
    • What is the file extension of this file? Is this a .txt file or not?
    • Where is this file came from?
    • Can you give us a step by step walkthrough on what you’re doing?
    • Can you create a new user profile and test if the issue will still happen in the new user profile?
    • What were the recent changes made on your part before you experienced this issue?
    • Can we have a screenshot of this file? This is to give us at least an idea what type of file is this.

In addition, you can read our forum guidelines here:
    How to ask an effective question
    to help you phrase and compose your concerns in complete detail here in our community. In this way, the readers will get enough information that will lead them to provide you accurate resolutions instead of
    having assumptions and guessing.

To notify us and have us get back to you, simply reply to this post.

Johann Eva, Aug 31, 2019
  4. Asterisk in Title of Untitled Notepad File

Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

Asterisk in Title of Untitled Notepad File

1. Asterisk in Title of Untitled Notepad File - Similar Threads - Asterisk Title Untitled

2. numbers showing up as asterisks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    numbers showing up as asterisks: numbers showing up as asterisks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/numbers-showing-up-as-asterisks/8af3f5fd-9768-48d4-9878-3916beb528e3
  3. numbers showing up as asterisks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    numbers showing up as asterisks: numbers showing up as asterisks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/numbers-showing-up-as-asterisks/8af3f5fd-9768-48d4-9878-3916beb528e3
  4. Hovering the Notepad icon from the taskbar does not display the titles of individual Notepads

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hovering the Notepad icon from the taskbar does not display the titles of individual Notepads: Hello Everyone! Hopefully someone can help me. I use Notepad a lot on my Win 11 laptop. I use it for work and I would usually have multiple Notepads open simultaneously. Recently, I noticed that hovering the icon from the taskbar no longer shows me the titles of those I've...
  5. Hovering the Notepad icon from the taskbar does not display the titles of individual Notepads

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hovering the Notepad icon from the taskbar does not display the titles of individual Notepads: Hello Everyone! Hopefully someone can help me. I use Notepad a lot on my Win 11 laptop. I use it for work and I would usually have multiple Notepads open simultaneously. Recently, I noticed that hovering the icon from the taskbar no longer shows me the titles of those I've...
  6. Untitled URL on Desktop suddenly?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Untitled URL on Desktop suddenly?: Hi I have a quick question for you guys, for some reason there was suddenly a YouTube shortcut on my Desktop (it was titled "Untitled"). File type was URL with the normal URL of the Youtube homepage, but whatever i do i cannot replicate a Youtube shortcut that is untitled....
  7. Apps and Features: untitled app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apps and Features: untitled app: Hi there, In my Apps and Features list I have an app with no name see picture. It appears to be Rundll32.exe. [ATTACH] An Microsoft agent on this page...
  8. Asterisk shows up in Notepad header after the first character is typed. Is it a bug? How to...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Asterisk shows up in Notepad header after the first character is typed. Is it a bug? How to...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/harambewasabrother [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eh4x9i/asterisk_shows_up_in_notepad_header_after_the/
  9. How to disable to show Asterisk in Notepad windows title bar for unsaved Notepad File ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable to show Asterisk in Notepad windows title bar for unsaved Notepad File ?: After windows 10 update, it will show * "Asterisk" in Notepad windows title bar for unsaved Notepad File. How to disable it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-to-show-asterisk-in-notepad-windows/1032dc8c-15f2-4aef-8811-9a845b1fb387
  10. Can't Open "Untitled" Photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Open "Untitled" Photos: Greetings, I have sent some "untitled" jpeg/jpg photos that I have taken to my daughter, but for some reason she cannot open the files in the Windows Photos app or Photoshop. She says that the extensions say "file." Can anyone please help me solve this mystery? Thanks!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. notepad file asterisk

2. notepad shows asterisk in filename