Windows 10: ASUS GL502VS - Windows April 2018 (1803) Update - NVMe Reboot Hang.

Discus and support ASUS GL502VS - Windows April 2018 (1803) Update - NVMe Reboot Hang. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After upgrading my ASUS GL502VS from Windows 10 1709 to 1804 I can no longer reboot the system. When the system reboots the ROG UEFI logo appears and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Matthew Hoare, Aug 11, 2018.

1. ASUS GL502VS - Windows April 2018 (1803) Update - NVMe Reboot Hang.

After upgrading my ASUS GL502VS from Windows 10 1709 to 1804 I can no longer reboot the system.

When the system reboots the ROG UEFI logo appears and the disk activity light flickers and then the system freezes. The Windows spinning dots no longer appear below the ROG UEFI logo.

If I then power the system off, and then power it back on, the system then boots as normal. The system seems to know that the last boot was interrupted because if it reboots due to Windows Updates, if I power the unit off and then back on again, it starts rolling back the update it just installed. However, If I power the unit off before UEFI hands over to Windows, and then power the unit back on, Windows proceeds to install the update with no further issues. The only way I can currently install Windows Updates is to Update and Shutdown, and then power the system back up to perform the rest of the install.

I thought this might have been a Windows Upgrade issue, so I have completed a clean Windows Install using a USB created using the Media Creation Tool. The Install goes okay, including the reboot during Windows setup until I load the Intel Chipset Drivers and then the problem returns after Windows reboots with the chipset drivers loaded. I've tried the chipset drives that came in the eSupport folder on my system, the latest ones available on the ASUS website, and the latest ones from the Intel website.

Googling suggests that it is an issue with Windows 1803 and NVME drives. I swapped out the original Samsung OEM SM951 256GB drive with a brand new Samsung 970 EVO 500GB retail drive, clean installed Windows, and it results in the same behaviour.

I've also tried a Intel 600p, 760p, and WD Black NVME SSDs and they are also resulting in the same behaviour, even with a clean install of 1803 Windows 10.

Interestingly if I remove the NVME SSD and boot off the Hitachi HDD then the issue goes away, I can reboot system reliably until the cows come home. I also tried a 500GB Samsung EVO 850, and a 256GB Crucial MX500 which are both 2.5" SATA SSDs and the also worked flawlessly. The issue here is clearly NVME related.

As you can see in the video I was concerned that the drive wasn't being detected upon reboot which is apparently an issue on the SM951 so I bought the 970 EVO. Even with the 970 EVO the issue still occurs and If I check the BIOS upon reboot, the 970 EVO is listed in the BIOS during a reboot and if I use the boot override to ensure that the Windows Boot Loader is chosen, I get the drive activity light flicker and then all I get is a black screen. Cold boot the system then it all goes back to normal.

For NVME drives I've tried the default MS driver and the Samsung 3.0 NVME driver and both result in the same issue.

How can I use NVME and the latest version of Windows at the same time?

If anyone from MS reads this, contact me for the video link. Also if anyone else if having this issue and contacts Microsoft directly, refer them to 1436702298

:)

Matthew Hoare, Aug 11, 2018
  2. Drone Win User
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

4. Brink Win User

ASUS GL502VS - Windows April 2018 (1803) Update - NVMe Reboot Hang.

Windows 10 April 2018 Update now available Monday, April 30

Source: Some devices may hang or freeze when using certain apps, such as - Microsoft Community

Brink, Aug 11, 2018
Thema:

ASUS GL502VS - Windows April 2018 (1803) Update - NVMe Reboot Hang.

1. ASUS GL502VS - Windows April 2018 (1803) Update - NVMe Reboot Hang. - Similar Threads - ASUS GL502VS April

2. windows update April 2018

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows update April 2018: Normally at the end of every month I get a notice that Windows is going to update and make it better (just a text message to my notifications panel). I usually let the update happen. Last night I got notification that support for the April 2018 update is ending in November...
  3. Error when updating to Windows 10 1803 (April 2018 Update)

Error when updating to Windows 10 1803 (April 2018 Update): I need help with Windows 10 Update. It keeps saying that the update failed. I saw this instruction that said to uninstall my video card, but it gives me a blank screen like if I didn’t have my laptop display on....
  4. Has anybody succesfully installed Windows 10 April 2018 (1803) update?

Has anybody succesfully installed Windows 10 April 2018 (1803) update?: I have tried 10 times by now and it always gets stuck at 75%. What happens at 75%? I would like to know! While looking for a solution I have only come across a million other posts regarding issues with update 1803. This makes me think nobody actually has been able to...
  5. Windows 10 1803 April 2018 Update - Update Fails. Both Automatic And Manual

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 1803 April 2018 Update - Update Fails. Both Automatic And Manual: What it says. >.< Please, replace the Update File with one that actually WORKS. >:( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-1803-april-2018-update-update-fails/76e1dd86-970f-4688-b734-c231bdd6dc83
  6. Administrative Templates 2.0 for Windows 10 April 2018 Update (1803)

in Windows 10 News
    Administrative Templates 2.0 for Windows 10 April 2018 Update (1803): This page provides the complete set of Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 10 April 2018 Update (1803). Group Policy tools use Administrative template files to populate policy settings in the user interface. This allows administrators to manage registry-based policy...
  7. Blue Screen after Windows 10 April 2018 Update 1803

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen after Windows 10 April 2018 Update 1803: So I can't really do anything of logging and sending you guys here, the moment you can log in which doesn't even appear it goes blue crash https://i.imgur.com/kTRme28.jpg It seems this is caused by comodo, so uninstalling would solve it right? however how to do that if I...
  8. April 2018 update

April 2018 update: My PC automatically updated the April windows 10 update and ever since it has been slow and wont connect to any device via any connection method including the basics such as using a USB cable and bluetooth....
  9. update april 2018

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    update april 2018: i 've proceed to the last upgrade but this turned me into some problem. see annexes [img] i had never this app installed, nor i cannot find it trough device manager also i cannot save anymore files by my official photoshop since i have annouce as follows [img] before the...
  10. Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 10 April 2018 Update 1803

in Windows 10 News
    Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 10 April 2018 Update 1803: This page provides the complete set of Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 10 April 2018 Update (1803). Group Policy tools use Administrative template files to populate policy settings in the user interface. This allows administrators to manage registry-based policy...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. asus gl502vs hang on reboot

2. gl502vs windows 7

3. gl502vs windows 10 update

4. gl502vs no rog logo,
  5. asus gl 502 recovery disk download,
  6. gl502vs windows update,
  7. gl502vs 1803,
  8. NVME hang on reboot