Windows 10: ASUS laptop in Desktop mode but keyboard and touchpad not working

Discus and support ASUS laptop in Desktop mode but keyboard and touchpad not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 5 year old ASUS SonicMaster laptop that originally did not come with Windows 10. It has Windows 10 now. Upon boot up it displays on-screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by te7, Oct 16, 2017.

1. TE7
    te7 Win User

ASUS laptop in Desktop mode but keyboard and touchpad not working

I have a 5 year old ASUS SonicMaster laptop that originally did not come with Windows 10. It has Windows 10 now. Upon boot up it displays on-screen keyboard for login to Windows. After logging in, there is no way to type in, either keyboard or on-screen when in Windows, and the touchpad doesn't work. The only thing you can do is open apps, and select options, but you can't enter any information or use the mouse. What I'd like to do is see if I can enable the keyboard and mouse. I've Google'd but no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for any replies.

:)

2. keyboard disabled in desktop mode

Once I've logged into my laptop, the keyboard and touchpad are immediately disabled, The settings are configured that it should be in full desktop mode when I login. Both the keyboard and touchpad work when I'm in the login screen, though. so the problem
    is after I've logged in I've tried turning it off and back on. Right now I'm typing this in tablet mode with the pop-up touchscreen keyboard (frustrating to use, as you can imagine).

Thanks,

Ellen

Ellen Kessler, Oct 16, 2017
  3. doner03 Win User
    doner03, Oct 16, 2017
  4. ASUS laptop in Desktop mode but keyboard and touchpad not working

Hi te7. Any chance Tablet mode is engaged?

Tap in Notification area of systray. Action center appears. The tablet rectangle should not be blue. If it is touch again.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 16, 2017
  5. TE7
    te7 Win User
    Thanks for the reply. Tablet mode was off. Switched to tablet mode. Can enter info in apps now with on-screen keyboard. Switched tablet mode off again. No keyboard and mouse. Should I try to roll back the drivers? Funny thing ... when I go out of tablet mode, I can still tap on screen to open apps. Are there settings in the BIOS and how to get there? In non-tablet mode in notification area there is a keyboard icon. What is that for in desktop mode? Also in Settings>Tablet mode I have it set to use desktop mode when I sign in. But then it gives on-screen keyboard on restart.

Edit post: figured out the keyboard icon is for using the on-screen keyboard when in command prompt. Running sfc /scannow now. Then I'll try to roll back drivers.

6. Have a look at your Windows update history, it will tell you if drivers have been installed on your behalf by Windows. Those would be the ones to roll back.

Start => Settings => Update and Security => right hand side near the top.

Does your laptop have a battery that is removal? If so, unplug from wall, remove battery, hold power button down 25 secs, reassemble, do not connect any external USB devices, boot.

When you laptop first boots either the Del key or F2 enters setup. Soon as it starts boot press a key two or three times.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 16, 2017
  7. TE7
    te7 Win User
    Stuck in touch screen mode even in desktop mode. In desktop mode, the only way to interact with Windows is by touching the screen, and when you want to type you have to choose the on-screen keyboard in the notification area. On Windows restart at the login screen I'm presented with the on-screen keyboard. Not at any time does the physical keyboard or touch pad mouse work while in Windows.

Troubleshooting so far:

1) Used the Troubleshooter to find keyboard and mouse problems ... reinstalled drivers.

- In Device Manger, keyboard error previously was fixed with this ... physical keyboard still not working.
    - Mice device still shows error ... touch pad still not working ... at no point is a mouse pointer shown on the screen.

2) Keyboard filtering is not enabled.

3) Battery is not removable.

4) Windows update history shows no hardware updates.

5) Keyboard works in BIOS setup mode.

8. hawkman Win User

Hi Te7,

Assume youve got Asus Smart gesture installed,

Check its settings it will override MS options, in certain cases.

Note
    Smart gesture >> Program << does NOT show in Apps!!!!
    I get to it via the control panel

Roy

hawkman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. ASUS laptop in Desktop mode but keyboard and touchpad not working - Similar Threads - ASUS laptop Desktop

2. My touchpad and keyboard doesnt work in laptop mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My touchpad and keyboard doesnt work in laptop mode: So i have an Asus Vivobook laptop and all of a sudden, the keyboard and the touchpad wont work in laptop mode, but when i switch to tablet mode, it works fine, i found this out of curiosity because sometimes in tablet mode, i accidentally click my keyboard, and i wanted to...
  3. My touchpad and keyboard doesnt work in laptop mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My touchpad and keyboard doesnt work in laptop mode: So i have an Asus Vivobook laptop and all of a sudden, the keyboard and the touchpad wont work in laptop mode, but when i switch to tablet mode, it works fine, i found this out of curiosity because sometimes in tablet mode, i accidentally click my keyboard, and i wanted to...
  4. ASUS laptop Touchpad not working [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    ASUS laptop Touchpad not working [Fix]: [IMG]If your ASUS laptop touchpad is not working, you can use the suggestions provided in this article. These fixes will surely help you. The touchpad is one of the important parts of a laptop. A non-working or non-responding touchpad can create problems for some users, as...
  5. Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working: Hi, I use my laptop all the time at uni for studying. Today I noticed the touchpad and keyboard no longer work when I use them, but my wireless keyboard and mouse works. It was last working on Friday 2/9.I check for all updates including optional on my computer and installed...
  6. Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working: Hi, I use my laptop all the time at uni for studying. Today I noticed the touchpad and keyboard no longer work when I use them, but my wireless keyboard and mouse works. It was last working on Friday 2/9.I check for all updates including optional on my computer and installed...
  7. ASUS touchpad not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ASUS touchpad not working: My ASUS touchpad is not working and I've literally tried everything, also my laptop is completely up to date. I tried to install the touchpad drivers from the ASUS official site but it also didn't work. The "12C HID Device" driver is also showing an error in the device...
  8. touchpad Asus laptop

touchpad Asus laptop: The fn-9 does not toggle touchpad on-off. ALSO Settings/Touchpad does NOT have a switch to turn the touchpad off I have installed the latest ATK package from ASUS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-asus-laptop/0b72da2a-ef4b-49de-ab5b-197eaa525486
  9. ASUS touchpad and keyboard problems

ASUS touchpad and keyboard problems: Hello, I have an ASUS laptop that I haven't been using for a while. When using it, I noticed that the keyboard, when typing, was skipping letters, at random. I actually discovered this problem cause I had trouble logging in, and then realised that the password I typed in...
  10. laptop keyboard and touchpad not working

laptop keyboard and touchpad not working: Problem: computer starts up normally and goes to the password log-in screen, but nothing happens when I try to enter the password. The computer doesn't appear to see any keystrokes. Solutions tried: rebooted removed and replaced main battery attached USB keyboard hit...