Windows 10: Asus laptop randomly freezing, Microsoft Basic Display Adapter questions

Discus and support Asus laptop randomly freezing, Microsoft Basic Display Adapter questions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone, so some months ago my father's laptop (Asus Q504U) started having some issues, it would randomly freeze, forcing me to shut it down by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nachogold, Jun 29, 2019.

1. nachogold Win User

Asus laptop randomly freezing, Microsoft Basic Display Adapter questions

Hi everyone, so some months ago my father's laptop (Asus Q504U) started having some issues, it would randomly freeze, forcing me to shut it down by holding the power button. This made the laptop useless.

After some time of troubleshooting and doing a fresh install of Win 10, I discovered it will still freeze UNLESS I use the default windows display adapter driver (Microsoft Basic Display Adapter). I tried installing different driver versions: the one windows would automatically install (a version from 2018), the latest available from Intel's website (2019) and the one available in ASUS' website (2016), but the computer would still freeze a few minutes after turning on the laptop.

I have been researching but couldn't find any formal answers. I must say that in case there isn't a possible workaround, my father is prepared to continue using the basic driver, as he just uses the laptop for work purposes. HOWEVER, in this case I would like to know if there is a way to reduce/modify the screen brightness with this driver (as this is the only annoying thing I found while using this driver until now).

Thanks everyone in advance.

:)

nachogold, Jun 29, 2019

2. microsoft basic display adapter question and concern

Hi

I have a lenovo z50 75 AMD fx 6th gen 7500 processor with AMD radeon7 graphic card.

The problem with the laptop is the screen brightness. updating the latest AMD drivers nov 2016 did nothing to help.

found a solution online,

1. Open device manager

2. display adapter

3. update driver software

4. choose from the pc

5. select microsoft basic display adapter

viola. it works. my screen is brighter than before.

downside. The sleep function is gone.

BUT will this DISABLE my AMD R7 graphic card?

if i play a game, like metal gear solid or 2014 pc games, it will cause an error cause the AMD r7 has been switched to MICROSOFT basic display adapter?

beerus_king, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Microsoft Display Adapter not getting connected to PC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response.

I would suggest that you follow the steps below and check if you can find the adapter in Device Manager.

1. Right click on the Start Menu and then click on Device Manager.

2. From the list of Hardware, find the Microsoft Display Adapter and check if you can find the device in question.

I would also suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in the first link and check if it helps.

Vanessa

Vanessa Sohtun, Jun 29, 2019
  4. Jerrax Win User

Basic Display Adapter Issue

I have a problem with my newly upgraded old laptop to windows 10 pro. The display is not good, the video is fragmented and sometimes freezing. I have checked all the drivers in the device manager and updated all but still no changes. In the display adapter
    the driver is named "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" I checked the properties. the driver version is
    10.0.17134.1 , the release date is 21/06/2006 the driver provider is Microsoft. How can I update this driver? I've searched for this driver named "Microsoft Basic
    Display Adapter" but I never found. Is there an alternative for this driver? Anyway this is a "Clean Install" of Windows 10 pro. Can anybody help me? Thank you.

Jerrax, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Asus laptop randomly freezing, Microsoft Basic Display Adapter questions - Similar Threads - Asus laptop randomly

2. microsoft basic display adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft basic display adapter: microsoft basic display adapter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-basic-display-adapter/c3f88116-72f2-480d-93dc-9b37b5c4b807
  3. Microsoft Basic display adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Basic display adapter: Hi folks,first of all I wanna say I know this question has been asked a lot but after many tries I still haven't found a fixAfter updating my drivers with driver booster and a restart I noticed my NVidia drivers were replaced with "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"I have tried...
  4. microsoft basic display adapter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft basic display adapter: VGN-FS570, clean install from xp to win 10 having a problem the graphic display, only seeing microsoft basic display adapter, not getting the full screen of the display, cannot change the adapter, tried to install adapter, not supported by your device the problem is cannot...
  5. Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter: Hi Gents, I have an Acer Aspire E5-575T-58WH recently I had problem with Graphic, Screen turned white and froze If i used Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, it worked fine but Windows keep updating it. Is anyway I can prevent Windows update it, thanks....
  6. Microsoft basic display adapter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft basic display adapter: The name of GPU is not shown in device manager, it's showing MICROSOFT BASIC DISPLAY ADAPTER. And when I try to upgrade GPU DRIVERS it's told best drivers are already installed. And Nvidia installer cannot continue is also being written when I try to install it by Nvidia...
  7. Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter: Driver cannot be installed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-basic-display-adapter/1596a9b8-f87d-4a42-908b-f285f803dd18
  8. Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter: I have a GTX 1050ti but device manager shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter i tried updating it but it didn't work i tried updating my OS to Windows 10 but it still shows "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" i tried plugging my graphics card to other computers it works but it...
  9. Microsoft basic display adapter.

Microsoft basic display adapter.: The driver is the default that I use along side my amd display driver. I recently updated my graphics driver, and it got rid of the microsoft one. Now I am not able to change my brightness. I checked device manager and it is not there. I tried to add legacy hardware but it...
  10. A few basic display adapter questions

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    A few basic display adapter questions: New Lenovo P50 Win10 Nvidia Quadro M1000M (Driver 8/27/15, 10.18.13.5404). The Nvidia was part of the base package--didn't really need it. 1. If I have this fancy adapter why then is the Intel HD Graphics 530 also running per device manager? Shouldn't one or the other...