Windows 10: Asus Q500A Wi-Fi Connection Drops and/or Adapter Issue

Discus and support Asus Q500A Wi-Fi Connection Drops and/or Adapter Issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have been experiencing a major and annoying Wi-Fi connectivity issue with my Q500A that I can't figure out. The wireless adapter is an Intel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bgeo25, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Bgeo25 Win User

Asus Q500A Wi-Fi Connection Drops and/or Adapter Issue

Hello, I have been experiencing a major and annoying Wi-Fi connectivity issue with my Q500A that I can't figure out. The wireless adapter is an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (latest driver version installed). Most of the time, I use an Ethernet cable and turn off Wi-Fi to save power. However, when I need to use Wi-Fi if Ethernet isn't available, it won't function properly. The Wi-Fi option in Settings may disappear, not all available networks show up, or it may connect but drop connection soon after.

I've tried reinstalling the network adapter in Device Manager numerous times. Running one or more of the troubleshooters from Control Panel doesn't work or provides a temporary fix. What is something I can do to get back steady/working Wi-Fi?

:)

Bgeo25, Feb 6, 2016
  2. Trekafied Win User

Constant WIFI Issues after Windows 10 Installation, "Limited" Connection

Hello. I have been having the same issue as of late with my ASUS Q500A on Windows 10. Could you share the steps that you used to solve your wi-fi problem in a bit more detail?

Trekafied, Feb 6, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Network Discovery

I'm having the SAME exact issue! I was using Skype and my Wi-Fi was working perfectly fine, and then suddenly my connection was dropped. Now, I don't have a wi-fi adapter available in the settings to even try to do any troubleshooting. The only adapter
    I now have is the ethernet adapter. I have tried a number of different things to fix the issue, but there's no wi-fi adapter, so I can't do anything!

CDioxide24, Feb 6, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi Bgeo25 and welcome to Tenforums.

Looking at the drivers here, I see they've got W10, W8 & W7. They also have BT. Have you updated your BT as well? Because it's all related. IDK but, sometimes rolling back drivers helps. This is kind of tricky, and sometimes you really have to mess around with the different drivers to find the right solution. And, Windows Update will many times give you a different version that what you find at the OEM's web site. Did you also install their "software" that goes with it? Just be sure, when you delete the device, delete the drivers as well (there's a box to check), then reboot, and install the next driver you want to try. Also, in the Adapter properties, you can set it so the OS doesn't turn it off to save power (when you're using it, of course).

OTOH, if all else fails, could it be that your wireless card is going and needs to be replaced? Do you, or a friend, have a working one that you could try in your laptop?

simrick, Feb 7, 2016
  5. Bgeo25 Win User
    Hi and thanks for your help on the issue (and sorry for taking a long time to reply).

After updating the Bluetooth driver, at first the Wi-Fi worked. I then switched to Ethernet (since I alternate between Ethernet and Wi-Fi often) and turned off Wi-Fi. Then, I unplugged the Ethernet cable and tried to turn Wi-Fi back on manually, but it wouldn't let me even turn it on (or sometimes it shows "Not available" in place of Wi-Fi. (Check the example video)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9f...ew?usp=sharing

Basically, the Wi-Fi seems to work only once right after I restart. If I turn it off, then it will stay off. Uninstalling the Centrino from Device Manager and reinstalling still provides a temporary fix, but of course connection drops after that and it's no good. Also, it's strange how Intel's driver update utility thinks I have an older version of their Bluetooth driver than Device Manager indicates. Could it be that the update isn't working or just a glitch in Intel's software?

Bgeo25, Feb 7, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Very strange indeed. This is not a solution, but I wonder if it's a workaround. On the laptop, there should be a function key (or even a slideswitch) to manually turn the wifi adapter off, without doing it in the operating system. If you reboot, and the wifi adapter is working, then turn it off using the F-key, then turn it back on that way, does it work properly?

Sometimes there are very slight differences in the drivers from the component manufacturer's web site, and the site of the system maker (ASUS). These slight differences can also make a difference in the performance. One thing to do is, when uninstalling a device, make sure to the check box to also uninstall the driver, to make sure all traces are gone before you install the new one. Sometimes leftovers of one driver version can interfere with another version. Also, updating the device driver through Windows update can give you a whole 'nother version.

I know it's not an answer, but I have found in situations like these, you really have to play around to find the right combination wifi/BT set.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Asus Q500A Wi-Fi Connection Drops and/or Adapter Issue - Similar Threads - Asus Q500A Connection

2. Wi-Fi connection often drops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi connection often drops: Hello,since the end of 2020, I have had my notebook and never had any problems, but recently there have been complications.A few weeks ago, my notebook had the problem that sometimes the screen froze for a few seconds or the computer even crashed. This eventually ended up...
  3. Wi-Fi connection often drops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi connection often drops: Hello,since the end of 2020, I have had my notebook and never had any problems, but recently there have been complications.A few weeks ago, my notebook had the problem that sometimes the screen froze for a few seconds or the computer even crashed. This eventually ended up...
  4. Wi-Fi connection issues No Wi-Fi, Secured

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi connection issues No Wi-Fi, Secured: Shows I have “no Wi-Fi, secured” no one else connected is having this issue, it’s fine after I reset the router however but the next time I turn the computer off and back on, the same issue...
  5. Wi-Fi connection issues No Wi-Fi, Secured

Wi-Fi connection issues No Wi-Fi, Secured: Shows I have “no Wi-Fi, secured” no one else connected is having this issue, it’s fine after I reset the router however but the next time I turn the computer off and back on, the same issue...
  6. Wi-Fi network adapter and Wi-Fi issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wi-Fi network adapter and Wi-Fi issues: Hello, I have a Dell Vostro 3558, Windows 10, and for several months now I've been having a problem with my Wi-Fi network adapter which prevents me to connect to the Internet. It wasn't so bad at first I would just shut down and boot pc again then the Wi-Fi would work but now...
  7. Wi-Fi network adapter and Wi-Fi issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi network adapter and Wi-Fi issues: Hello, I have a Dell Vostro 3558, Windows 10, and for several months now I've been having a problem with my Wi-Fi network adapter which prevents me to connect to the Internet. It wasn't so bad at first I would just shut down and boot pc again then the Wi-Fi would work but now...
  8. Wi-Fi network adapter and Wi-Fi issues

9. Wi-Fi connectivity issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wi-Fi connectivity issues: I have been having issues staying connected to my Wi-Fi for the past few weeks since getting a new computer with a Windows OS. I spend a lot of my time during the day in meetings and streaming videos, so it gets very annoying getting booted from these meetings frequently. I...
  10. Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues: As the title of the post says, my laptop's Wi-Fi will not turn on. When I hovered over the Wi-Fi button in the corner it said that it was connected to the network but had no internet access, which was a little strange. My dad's tablet is on the same network and his is working...