Windows 10: ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update

Discus and support ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How do I go about booting into the BIOS and changing the storage controller mode? Forgive me...I am a noob. Press F2 Button during POST, it will give... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by purple potato, Apr 24, 2016.

1. ARC
    Arc Win User

ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update

Press F2 Button during POST, it will give you the option to boot into the BIOS.

The storage controller modes should be available under Advanced > SATA Configuration.
    ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update [​IMG]
    The possible options should be there are ... IDE/ATA and AHCI.

Change between them. See if it works.

2. Ooooo this worked to get me my wireless mouse back. Thank you *Smile
    Not sure if the USB ports are working with flash drive yet though because the PC still isn't booting up.
    I'm thinking I should take out my hard drive and get out all my files, then do a clean reinstall.

purple potato, Apr 26, 2016
  3. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Before doing that, can you please do another thing?
    Do you have access to another computer right now? If so, download Partition wizard Bootable CD (the last one in the link). Burn it in a blank CD or in a USB flash stick.

Boot into Partition Wizards GUI following this instructions. When you are on the last screen, take a camera snap of the screen and upload the snap here.
    Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums

We need to see the partitions and parameters. This might tell something about the non-bootable state of the computer.

But if you want to perform a clean install right now, you can salvage the files in this stage too. Windows 10 Recovery Tools or a bootable Puppy Linux will do it. Boot into either of those, browse to the data, copy them externally, perform a clean reinstall.

4. ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update

Yeah I will do the Partition Wizard thing now. But before I do it, I can tell you that my pc's 500gb hard drive has 2 partitions, one has the OS on it. I can afford to wipe all the data from that partition because my personal files stored there are backed up. But the other partition is not backed up so I need a way to secure those files before anything. I'm not sure how the reinstall works and if it wipes the entire hard drive or just the partition that the OS is on. Plus there is a 24GB SSD to help with fast start up time I guess.

5. I'm have a bit of trouble changing the Boot order in BIOS:
    These are screenshots of my BIOS...which one do I move to the top to make the system boot from DVD?
    BOOT Menu:

Save and Exit Menu:

6. Ok i did the Partition Wizard thing. This is what I got:

7. ARC
    Arc Win User

Here lies a big contradiction. CSM enabled means Legacy BIOS mode; and the boot order is UEFI.
    Plus there is an active partition in your GPT disk which is having a recovery partition as well.

Have you tried anything else other than what we suggested?

Please disable CSM. See if UEFI boot restores back.

If not, just because of the haphazard partition structure of the disk; I would suggest you to back up your data, format the entire disk, and install windows afresh.

8. ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update

I've tried using the Start-up Repair in the Automatic Repair Menu that comes up when you try to boot plus I tried booting into Safe Mode. I just end up in the same position. Other than that I didn't do anything apart from what was suggested.

I'll try disabling the CSM and try rebooting after I'm finished backing up.

I used the Windows 10 Recovery tool that you suggested and booted from a DVD and I was able to access my files. If I install the windows afresh, would I be able to remove the partition on my hard drive and use it without any partition? My laptop came with the partition already.

purple potato, Apr 27, 2016
  9. ARC
    Arc Win User
    If you install windows afresh, delete all the existing partitions. Make two partitions yourself. One for the OS and the other is for the data. Select the OS partition and proceed with installation; the mechanism will create two more partitions there.

The factory created partitions are not necessary after a clean reinstall.

10. What size would you recommend the OS partition to be?

purple potato, Apr 27, 2016
  11. My laptop has a 24GB SSD. Its Drive 1 in the snap below. It is used as cache I guess to help with the laptop's alleged 2 second start up time. Should I delete it too or leave it be?

Also I'm getting a Warning stating: "Windows can't be installed to this disk. The select disk is of the GPT partition style."
    It says that for any Drive and Partition selected.

purple potato, Apr 28, 2016
  12. This is the Repair Log when I did the Startup Repair:

Perhaps it will help to give a better understanding of why my laptop isn't booting up.

Also these were the updates that caused my USB ports and my touch-pad to stop working:

13. ARC
    Arc Win User

You may leave that memory caching SSD.
    If CSM is disabled as said in post #20, then it should not occur. UEFI works perfectly with GPT disks.

14. Thanks for your all your help thus far.

I changed the CSM to disabled and the clean reinstallation with UEFI started. I'm waiting for it to finish. Approximately how long does it take? What are the benifits of splitting the partitions into OS and Data?

15. ARC
    Arc Win User
    The basic installation will take a few minutes only; it may take some time to get the critical updates during installation depending on your internet speed.

Most of the users prefer to store the data in a separate disk. As you dont have another disk there, it will be better to keep the data away from the C drive. So I suggested you for a separate partition.

Thema:

1. ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - ASUS USB Ports

2. Touchpad and USB ports not working after new update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad and USB ports not working after new update: I recently updated an Asus notebook of mine and after it "finished", my touchpad and USB ports stopped working. Every time I boot up the notebook an error keeps popping up and I can't use the touchpad. The error status is 0xc000046e. wruninstall.exe - Bad Image How can I...
  3. USB ports not working after Windows 10 20h2 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB ports not working after Windows 10 20h2 update: Someone please help! I updated to Windows 10 20h2 and now none of my USB ports are working. If I had known this I never would have downloaded the version. I can’t use my keyboard or mouse because they are Logitech wireless and the receiver is connected to USB port as well....
  4. USB ports not working after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB ports not working after update: 2 of my USB ports stopped working with a recent windows update. I noticed they weren’t working when I had a warning screen pop up with every restart stating “USB device not recognized. the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows does not...
  5. Windows 10 1903 USB ports not working after update.

Windows 10 1903 USB ports not working after update.: I was forced to install the latest update and instantly had issues. The USB ports wouldn't recognize anything. When I plug in external hard drive they power up fine. I can use it but its showing that it has a driver error in device manager, if I plug in a thumb drive, or...
  6. ASUS touchpad not working after Windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ASUS touchpad not working after Windows 10 updates: The touchpad not working (scrolling) after a Windows 10 update is not new. The solution has always been to uninstall the SmartGesture touchpad program and the ATK drivers and reinstall them. That always fixes it. However, the 1809 upgrade attempts have deleted parts of the...
  7. USB ports not working after Windows update

USB ports not working after Windows update: I had a update last night for windows 10 on my desktop, made me do it as I could not turn off my computer without it starting, I get up in the morning and get on, the usb ports work for 5 minutes at most before they stop working, all of them worked fine until this update, I...
  8. USB ports not working after updates

USB ports not working after updates: Hi there I have an Asus all in one Pc with windows. Since a set of updates, neither of my 2 USB ports seem to be functioning. Any devices phone. tablet, camera etc. when plugged in do not register and I cannnot transfer files or images from one to the other....
  9. USB ports not working after Windows 10 update

USB ports not working after Windows 10 update: I had this issue after the September 11, 2018 update. Device manager showed only my 3.0 ports installed but they were not working and no yellow exclamation marks. I right clicked on the USB controllers item and had to enable it. No Change Then I right clicked on the intel...
  10. Windows 10 1803 USB ports not working after update.

Windows 10 1803 USB ports not working after update.: I was forced to install the latest update and instantly had issues. First the wifi wouldn't connect anymore and the USB ports wouldnt recognize anything. After a couple of days playing around I took it to a shop. They were able to fix the wifi issue but the USB ports remain...