Windows 10: Asus Z270K cpu microcode

Discus and support Asus Z270K cpu microcode in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is this microcode an update that is to be installed because of the Meltdown issue? What are the actual steps to installing this type of file? I found... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Rose W, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Rose W Win User

Asus Z270K cpu microcode

Is this microcode an update that is to be installed because of the Meltdown issue?
    What are the actual steps to installing this type of file?
    I found reference to the Al Suite tools so I installed this Suite but when I clicked on the upgrade checking the result was that no update was required at this time. This Desktop Bios was updated when the ME correction was done in the past months. I think the Bios is dated July 2017
    Just a little confusion to add to the other question I have.
    Does this microcode compliment the future Microsoft updates. Should it be in place or not before Microsoft produces stuff against the Meltdown insecurity?
    I'm leaning towards the plan of having a technician in town install this thing.

:)

Rose W, Jan 8, 2018
  2. JimWynne Win User

Intel Pentium G3258 Overclock problems in Windows 10

It's always good to know the whole story, which I learned with just a few minutes' web-searching. Intel never intended non-Z motherboards to be able to overclock the Pentium CPUs. Asus and a few other MB manufacturers exploited an Intel bug in the Pentium
    CPUs that allowed them to be overclocked. Intel developed the new microcode included in KB3064209 and present by default in Windows 10 in order to correct the bug. Asus apparently anticipated this, as there is a statement on their website that says:

ASUS does not guarantee that Intel new Pentium processor and Core K Series (‘Haswell’ and ‘Haswell Refresh’) processors will be overclockable on ASUS H97, H87, B85 and H81 Series motherboards in the event that Intel issues software and firmware updates
    that result in function changes.

There's no way for Microsoft to fix Intel's microcode, and you shouldn't expect Intel to do it because it was never their intent to allow Pentiums to be overclocked.

JimWynne, Jan 8, 2018
  3. Danicela Win User
    MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSODS error

Thanks for your reply.

What search bar are you talking about ? On this website ? On Windows Start menu ? Note that I use french version. Is it a native Windows software ? Or should I download something ?

Note that I'm already up to date on the BIOS, I updated the Asus MB to 0703, release of january 2016, CPU microcode patch 74, and it didn't solve anything.

Danicela, Jan 8, 2018
  4. Asus Z270K cpu microcode

Search Asus website for firmware update

rockyanexpert, Jan 8, 2018
  5. Rose W Win User
    Asus Z270K cpu microcode [​IMG]

This is the cpu microcode that is on the bios & firmware downloads. I have downloaded this and its a cap type file.
    I was looking for descriptions that outlined how a cap file is installed.

Rose W, Jan 8, 2018
  6. clam1952 Win User
    The Windows patch only solves part of the problem you need to install the updated Bios which contains the Microcode.

If the Motherboard is a PRIME Z270-K you go here PRIME Z270-K BIOS & FIRMWARE| Motherboards | ASUS USA
    and downloaded it.
    AI suite can't find it as it's only just been released, you will have to manually download it, extract the cap file and personally I'd put it on a USB stick and use EZ Flash in the bios to update it. To access the bios press Delete on starting the PC up.
    Your Bios should have EZ Flash, a how to here ASUS EZ Flash 3 introduction | Official Support | ASUS UK

If that's too complicated you may be better getting someone used to flashing a Bios to do it.

clam1952, Jan 8, 2018
  7. Faith Win User
    That's the upgrade to address the recent Spectre vulnerability. You need to use the proprietary flash tool if you want to update the BIOS. I'm not familiar with ASUS, but with MSI all of this is included in the download, aswell as a read-me on how to do it properly, ASUS should have similar download path. Usually the steps are simple: You download all the files to a bootable USB device, and you launch it at startup. Also on modern hardware there's usually a built-in flash tool in the BIOS screen to make it easier. And whatever you do, never update the BIOS through the Windows desktop, always do it through the BIOS. This is the safest option.

Faith, Jan 8, 2018
  8. clam1952 Win User

Asus Z270K cpu microcode

Asus just has a zip file containing the bios cap file, no instructions or tool, that's in the bios or alternatively the Asus AI Suite which I would avoid using, as it's done from Windows which as said is not the safest place to Flash a Bios from. Incidentally I've never yet had the EZ Flash in the bios or AI Suite find the latest Bios version on line.

Asus doesn't require a bootable drive for a Bios Flash just needs the cap file putting on a drive, USB or internal, you browse to it from the EZ Flash utillity in the Bios

clam1952, Jan 8, 2018
  9. Rose W Win User
    Okay, these are the kind of words I was hoping for since there were no instructions in this cap download.
    extract the cap file and personally I'd put it on a USB stick and use EZ Flash in the bios to update it. To access the bios press Delete on starting the PC up. Your Bios should have EZ Flash, a how to here ASUS EZ Flash 3 introduction | Official Support | ASUS UK

I have discovered my BIOS version 0809 is higher than the bios listed in the Asus cpu info page - says if it is higher than a flash bios routine is not needed.

Its not that its complicated. I have been accustomed to getting into the bios....back many Win versions but not in Win10. Its the condition of when things go wrong( and they can) what is the reversal action. Someone who does this sort of thing on a regular basis would not have to research all the possibilities <grin>

EDIT: at 5 p.m EST the BIOS update was successfully completed through the Advanced section of the EZflash within the Z270 motherboard.
    The fact that the driveway still requires a lot of shovelling to reduce the snow in front of the garage door contributed to low enthusiasm for going to town and have someone else provide the service *Biggrin
    Thanks for the 'to do' list which allowed this success.

Rose W, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Asus Z270K cpu microcode

1. Asus Z270K cpu microcode - Similar Threads - Asus Z270K cpu

2. ASUS TUF A15 CPU PROBLEM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ASUS TUF A15 CPU PROBLEM: Hello! I have the ASUS TUF A15 FA506IU laptop. The problem is that when my cpu goes on a higher clock more than 2.2 ghz it starts to crash in different ways, so I have to keep it locked at 1.39ghz. The CPU was supposed to be running 2.9 ghz base clock and 4.2 ghz boost clock....
  3. Microcode Update for Intel CPU's

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microcode Update for Intel CPU's: Hi! I update my laptop ME firmware and my CPU microcode, the last one via Windows Update. Is it going to be an update for desktop processors? Because the update for 10th gen Intel CPU's to update the microcode are only for mobile devices and i can't find one for desktop...
  4. Windows 10 microcode updates to fix new Intel CPU security issues

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 microcode updates to fix new Intel CPU security issues: Microsoft has released a number of new Intel microcode updates for the company's Windows 10 operating system that address recently discovered security flaws in Intel processors. Microcode updates are released by Intel to provide Microsoft with patches that either fix security...
  5. Intel CPU Microcode Update for Windows 10 version 1909 and 1903

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel CPU Microcode Update for Windows 10 version 1909 and 1903: Microsoft released a patch KB4497165 that addresses issues related to Intel CPUs: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4497165/kb4497165-intel-microcode-updates You may visit MS Update Catalog and select the appropriate patch for your system, if your Intel CPU is...
  6. KB4100347: Intel microcode updates (messes with CPU overclock) Bug in Windows?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    KB4100347: Intel microcode updates (messes with CPU overclock) Bug in Windows?: So when I would install this update, my cpu clockspeed would stay at the stock boost clock speed, and would not keep my overclock. My bios detected my overclock (4000 MHz) as well as all my other settings. (XMP RAM, Cache Speed and voltages.) So for example my 6800k is...
  7. Do CPU Microcode Updates Need to be Reinstalled if Win is Renstalled?

Do CPU Microcode Updates Need to be Reinstalled if Win is Renstalled?: Microsoft has been releasing some of Intel's CPU Microcode updates to patch Spectre flaws as part of KB4090007. This update has to be downloaded and installed manually from the Windows Update Catalog - it won't just download automatically through Windows Update. I'm not...
  8. Recent ASUS BIOS update mentions CPU microcode update.

Recent ASUS BIOS update mentions CPU microcode update.: Just thought I'd see if there was a new BIOS available for my new ASUS Prime Z370-A and there was one available dated 4th January. It mentioned some stability updates and a "microcode update for the CPU". Do we think this relates to the recent Meltdown and Spectre...
  9. How to update the CPU's microcode

How to update the CPU's microcode: Good Morning All, I came from Linux to Windows 10. After 14 years, got tired of the Linux desktop mess. The experience has been good. I've been on W10 since the beginning of the year. Under Linux, CPU microcode updates were easy to deploy. My MB MFG (MSI) tells me short of...
  10. Asus CPU microcode update...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Asus CPU microcode update...: The system with Asus Prime Z370-A updated to BIOS version 0613, that includes the CPU microcode update. Benchmarking the drives and comparing to pre-update results show interesting results. System drive, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, M.2 NVMe x4 : [img] Updating the BIOS...