Windows 10: ASUS Z390-A Will only boot one time to Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2 from other boot disk Error...

Discus and support ASUS Z390-A Will only boot one time to Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2 from other boot disk Error... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My computer has 5 disks 3 have the EFI boot partition. The 850 EVO SATA SSD has a EFI boot partition and 3 bootable OS partitions. The 970 EVO M.2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Tiger_lcf, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Tiger_lcf Win User

ASUS Z390-A Will only boot one time to Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2 from other boot disk Error...

My computer has 5 disks 3 have the EFI boot partition.

The 850 EVO SATA SSD has a EFI boot partition and 3 bootable OS partitions.

The 970 EVO M.2 SSD has a EFI boot partition and 4 bootable OS partitions.

The 500GB WD SATA HDD has a EFI boot partition and 0 bootable OS partitions.

All 7 bootable partitions are Windows 10 Home.

6 are version latest update 1909

1 is minimal updated version 1809 for testing this problem.

When the 850 or WD are set as the boot disk in the BIOS.

You can only boot to either one of the four OS partitions on the 970 one time. After that you get the Boot Failed error, error “Windows Failed to start” could not find \Windows\system32\winload.efi Error Code 0xc000000e.

If you go in to the BIOS and reselect the 850 or WD the problem repeats.

There are NO problems booting to any of the 3 OS partitions on the 850.

When the 970 is set as the boot disk in the BIOS.

There are no problems booting to any of the 7 OS partitions

Motherboard is ASUS Prime Z390-A

CPU i9-9900

CPU cooler Corsair H100i

Ram Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4

Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2280 NVMe 1.3 SSD

WD 500GB SATA HDD

WD 2TB SATA HDD

WD 42TB SATA HDD

Video Card – MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Power Supply - Seasonic FOCUS PX-850

:)

Tiger_lcf, Jan 4, 2020

2. 2 RAID Arrays on Z390 chipset (M.2x4 and SATA)

This is possible. I have successfully built a Z390 based machine with both an M.2 RAID 1 array (boot) and SATA RAID 0 array (D disk), all running off of the Z390 chipset Intel controller. Creating the RAID arrays is standard, and not significantly different than with just SATA disks. The primary difference being that the M.2 disks must have "RST PCIe Storage Remapping" Enabled.

This system is configured as such:

• i9 9900k
    • ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate
    • 2x 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSDs (RAID 1 + Boot)
    • 2x 1TB WD Blue SSDs (RAID 0)

Graydon Neill, Jan 4, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
  4. Steve1507 Win User

ASUS Z390-A Will only boot one time to Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2 from other boot disk Error...

My Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVMe m.2 ssd not being detected in BIOS

I am having problems with the Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVMe m.2 ssd and it not being detected in BIOS. I recently had to submit my motherboard in RMA for repairs and the drive was working perfectly before, but now it's not being detected. I receive this code
    in "Secure Erase" in ASUS BIOS: SMNVMeROM

I have an ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI OMEGA x299 motherboard and I have 2 other NVMe m.2 drives that do work on the motherboards m.2 slots, and in the dimm.2 adapter slot. It's just that the 970 EVO had my operating system on it, and I'm confused by what SMNVMeROM
    means. Did it turn into a ROM file? Should I try putting an operating system on one of the working m.2 drives, to see if I can access the m.2 drive in question(windows disk management)? ASUS wasn't able to help me out in terms of tech. support.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve1507, Jan 4, 2020
Thema:

1. ASUS Z390-A Will only boot one time to Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2 from other boot disk Error... - Similar Threads - ASUS Z390 boot

2. SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB NVMe M.2 not detected by BOIS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB NVMe M.2 not detected by BOIS: Hello, I just recently built my computer and it has been working fine for around 3 to 4 months but now my SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB NVMe M.2 has stoped working and from what I have been told the controller or something along those lines might have busted was defective from...
  3. SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB NVMe M.2 not detected by BOIS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB NVMe M.2 not detected by BOIS: Hello, I just recently built my computer and it has been working fine for around 3 to 4 months but now my SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB NVMe M.2 has stoped working and from what I have been told the controller or something along those lines might have busted was defective from...
  4. Clone Boot disk ( Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB) to Samsung 970 EVO PLUS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone Boot disk ( Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB) to Samsung 970 EVO PLUS: I would like to clone my boot drive(Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250) to a new Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVMe M.2 1TB Hard drive. The SSD 850 is in Legacy in the BIOS under Storage boot option control. I want the new M.2 drive to be the new Boot drive. My understanding is that I must...
  5. Migrating OS from Kingston SSD to Samsung Evo 970 plus M.2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS from Kingston SSD to Samsung Evo 970 plus M.2: [ATTACH] I have recently cloned my OS from my old ssd to my new m2. I can see that the files are the same and they are equal in used space. I can not however get my pc to boot from this new file. If I go to bios and select boot order, the M.2 does not show up. 2 of my...
  6. Samsung M.2 SSD 970 EVO PLUS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Samsung M.2 SSD 970 EVO PLUS: I have recently got an new m.2 SSD and wanted to install it to my motherboard. After doing so I encountered and error stating "Boot from proper device". My HDD has my OS on it and changed the order of boot in the bios but still ran into the issue stated. tried many things...
  7. Samsung 970 Evo vs SK Hynix P31 M.2 SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung 970 Evo vs SK Hynix P31 M.2 SSD?: I will be ordering a new 1tb nvme ssd tomorrow. I had decided i will be buying the samsung 970 evo when looking at reviews until some people on another forum suggested the sk hynix p31 becauee not only is it as good as the samsung evo... and it uses a lot less power in power...
  8. Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2

in Windows 10 Customization
    Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2: Hi I recently installed Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2 on my Dell Inspiron 3268. Using Samsung Data migration tool, I copied my OS to SSD and wanted to make SSD as my boot drive, but is not getting shown up in BIOS as boot option. I can see PCI as loaded in BIOS, can also see...
  9. SAMSUNG 970 EVO boot slower than nomal SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SAMSUNG 970 EVO boot slower than nomal SSD: I've just upgraded my boot drive from an old SSD to a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (500GB) but windows task manager is showing my last BIOS time as being 20 seconds where as with my old ssd wa around 10s. Pls help! 130098
  10. NVMe vs SATA for M.2 SSD? Samsung 970 EVO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVMe vs SATA for M.2 SSD? Samsung 970 EVO: What kind of M.2 do I have? NVMe vs SATA? That is the question here! Hi! I have this notebook: Dell G3 5379 and want to get a fast SSD Drive. Will this one fit? I'm confused about NVMe. My notebook has an M.2 slot and so far I only used traditional SATA 2.5" SSD drives....