Windows 10: At Home connection of a LapTop and a Desktop

Discus and support At Home connection of a LapTop and a Desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Desktop PC and a laptop .... I wish to make all files on each unit accessible by each other ... how can I do this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RobertKellett, Aug 3, 2020.

1. At Home connection of a LapTop and a Desktop

I have a Desktop PC and a laptop .... I wish to make all files on each unit accessible by each other ... how can I do this?

:)

RobertKellett, Aug 3, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

Kari, Aug 3, 2020
  3. karyeowl Win User
    Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI

I have 3 desktops (all on Windows 10 1803) connected on my LAN. After following this forum for some times and did all the steps as suggested by forum member, access denied, all my desktops are able to view and access one another. I have a printer connected to PC1, and managed to connect all the other 2 PCs to have the shared printer.

I also have 2 more laptops (both Asus with the same Windows 10 1803) connected via WIFI. Performed all the same steps as per the desktops, but I was not able to access PC1. I was able to view all the 3 desktops from the file explorer, but I just can't access all the desktops. However, I was able to access the Asus laptops from desktop PC1.

Anyone able to assist on this matter? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

karyeowl, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Sharkman Win User

At Home connection of a LapTop and a Desktop

Network a wndows 7 desktop with a windows 10 laptop

New to this stuff... Can someone detail what has to be done to each PC step by step so that I can share files, printer etc between the systems? The desktop has a wired connection to the router and the laptop is using wifi. Desktop is windows 7 home.

thanks

Sharkman, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

At Home connection of a LapTop and a Desktop

1. At Home connection of a LapTop and a Desktop - Similar Threads - Home connection LapTop

2. Work laptops showing my home desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Work laptops showing my home desktop: My home laptop has a different main Microsoft account but I use my work Microsoft account on some apps on my work laptop. Now, when I sign in onto my work laptop it will show my home laptop desktop?? There is no sync button to disable this feature from the work laptop...
  3. Work laptops showing my home desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Work laptops showing my home desktop: My home laptop has a different main Microsoft account but I use my work Microsoft account on some apps on my work laptop. Now, when I sign in onto my work laptop it will show my home laptop desktop?? There is no sync button to disable this feature from the work laptop...
  4. laptop cannot connect to home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    laptop cannot connect to home network: I have a dell laptop wirelessly connected to the internet, I have a PC on ethernet to the internet, a cable modem and a wireless router. Both are up to date W10 pro.I can see the PC from the laptop, but when I try to login, I face the following problems:1. the email is grayed...
  5. [QUESTION] Is there a way to Remote Desktop from a VPN connected laptop to home PC on the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [QUESTION] Is there a way to Remote Desktop from a VPN connected laptop to home PC on the...: I work from home on a work laptop running Windows 10 that is VPN-connected to work network. I'm assuming all network traffic goes through the VPN tunnel and out from the work network. I also have my home PC (where I have my personal email and files and so on). What I'd like...
  6. trouble connecting desktop & laptop

trouble connecting desktop & laptop: Hello, I work as a caregiver, and am trying to get my client's laptop to talk to the desktop. I guess Windows 10 no longer has a homegroup, although it does come up in the WinExp sharing menu for sharing, for some reason. Anyway, I've got it to where the laptop & the desktop...
  7. Remote Desktop connection on windows home??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remote Desktop connection on windows home??: Hey guys I wanted to know if I could connect to vps from my windows 10 home edition I heard that we can’t use Remote Desktop connection on home edition but when I search Remote Desktop connection on my home edition search bar it pops up Is it only that on home edition, I...
  8. no home network connection between wifi laptop and cable desktop

no home network connection between wifi laptop and cable desktop: I have a HP desktop that has a private network set up, and it's connected to the router via cable. I also have a Dell laptop with a private network set up, and it's connected to the router via Wifi. Both are running Windows 10. However neither can "see" the other's...
  9. Connecting to another laptop at home

Connecting to another laptop at home: Hi Im trying to connect my laptop to my husbands laptop as we keep duplicating documents so would prefer to share. How do I do this? Thanks in advance...
  10. Home Network Desktop and Laptop no longer able to connect.

Home Network Desktop and Laptop no longer able to connect.: Home Network Desktop and Laptop no longer able to connect. My desktop is a Dell Inspiron x64 running Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 on local LAN connected via Broadband Internet Access. The computer has been formatted into two drives. My laptop is also a Dell...