Windows 10: At lock screen, displays shut off after 20 seconds, comes back on

Discus and support At lock screen, displays shut off after 20 seconds, comes back on in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; If I lock my computer, after 20 seconds or so, the displays turn off, then come back 2 seconds later. The timing is consistent. I also notice that it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by SSShadii, May 10, 2020.

1. SSShadii Win User

At lock screen, displays shut off after 20 seconds, comes back on

If I lock my computer, after 20 seconds or so, the displays turn off, then come back 2 seconds later. The timing is consistent. I also notice that it resets my lockscreen image slideshow to the original image everytime it cycles. It does this on both my monitors (i.e. an HDTV and a computer monitor; the TV is hooked up through the DVI port and the monitor is hooked up to the HDMI port if that matters). I have power settings set to "AMD Ryzen Performance" but it does it on every other power profile.

It seems like it has to be a setting as it is so punctual. It's not a huge deal, but I would still like to know what is causing this as it is driving me crazy.

My system is as follows:
    Windows 10 Pro (1909)
    Asus Prime x570-p motherboard
    PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 590
    Ryzen 5 3600x
    Oloy 16 GB Ram 3200 I think

:)

SSShadii, May 10, 2020

2. Ads displayed in Lock Screen

Hi Subhadeep,

Windows Spotlight is an option for the lock screen background that displays different background images and occasionally offers suggestions on the lock screen.
    To turn off Windows Spotlight, go to Settings, clickPersonalization,
    select Lock screen, under Background select a different lock screen background.

To avoid messages on your lock screen, you can consider the following:

• Make sure that the "Get fun facts, etc" on your Settings is turned off.
    • Disable “suggestions” that appear as notifications. To do so, follow these steps go to
      Settings, then select System, then click
      Notifications & actions
      and turnoff “Show me the Windows welcome experience after updates and occasionally when I sign in to highlight what’s new and
      suggested”.
    • Disable “tips, tricks, and suggestions”. Head to Settings then select
      System, then click Notifications & Actions and disable the “Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows” option.

Don't hesitate to reply on this thread if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, May 10, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Lock Screen keeps changing

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Windows Spotlight picks the photos from Bing and displays them in the lock screen. I understand that you have set a picture and it is getting changed automatically.

I suggest you to follow the steps to select the Picture that you want to be displayed on the lock screen. Please follow the steps mentioned below to set a Picture to lock screen:

1. Press and hold Windows + I key on the keyboard to open settings.
    2. Click on Personalization.
    3. Click on Lock screen.
    4. Click on the drop down under Background and select
      Picture.
    5. Click on Browse and select the picture that you want to set.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 10, 2020
  4. At lock screen, displays shut off after 20 seconds, comes back on

Lock Screen Dims (Brightness Auto Reduce at Lock Screen)

Hi,

Since you're having an issue with the brightness of your Lock Screen, we suggest uninstalling the display adapter from the Device Manager. Just follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Locate and expand Display adapter.
    • Right-click on the display device and click uninstall.

Note: Please restart your computer after performing the steps above.

If the issue persists, download and install latest display driver from the computer manufacturer's website.

Please update us with the status. We will be glad to assist you.

Justine Pel, May 10, 2020
Thema:

At lock screen, displays shut off after 20 seconds, comes back on

1. At lock screen, displays shut off after 20 seconds, comes back on - Similar Threads - lock screen displays

2. screen comes back on after turning it off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    screen comes back on after turning it off: In the "Control what the Power Buttons do" section of the control panel I have the Power button selected to turn off the display however, when i actually press the button in person the display turn off as expected then after .5th of a second the screen turns back on...
  3. screen comes back on after turning it off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screen comes back on after turning it off: In the "Control what the Power Buttons do" section of the control panel I have the Power button selected to turn off the display however, when i actually press the button in person the display turn off as expected then after .5th of a second the screen turns back on...
  4. screen comes back on after turning it off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Black screen and comes back after few seconds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen and comes back after few seconds: Hello,It started happening today. What I already tried?Enter in safe mode, uninstall all NVIDIA drivers and make a clean install of the latest version 466.77 I was running either 466.47 or 466.63.sfc /scannowdism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthWhen I was installing the...
  6. Screen dimming after 20 seconds

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen dimming after 20 seconds: This just started today, but my laptop screen dims every 20 seconds if I'm not doing anything. Doesn't matter if I'm gaming, watching a video or whatever, if there's no mouse movement or key strokes, the screen dims from it's highest to lowest setting without fail. I've tried...
  7. Screen dimming after 20 seconds

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen dimming after 20 seconds: This just started today, but my laptop screen dims every 20 seconds if I'm not doing anything. Doesn't matter if I'm gaming, watching a video or whatever, if there's no mouse movement or key strokes, the screen dims from it's highest to lowest setting without fail. I've tried...
  8. screen displays "lock screen" and shuts down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    screen displays "lock screen" and shuts down: My laptop using Windows 10 has suddenly encountered two problems: The screen will display "lock screen" for 1 or 2 seconds and shut down. This is seemingly random, as it doesn't appear associated with any particular website. The timing is also random, sometimes occurring...
  9. Windows 10 locking screen instead of shutting off display

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 locking screen instead of shutting off display: Ok boys, I am so ridiculously aggravated with Windows right now. I recently re-installed Windows and apparently the computer was possessed during the reinstall. I'm finally on the last of the issues that I've had to fix. Windows absolutely refuses to just turn off my...
  10. SHUTTING OFF FULL SCREEN DISPLAY?

in Windows 10 Customization
    SHUTTING OFF FULL SCREEN DISPLAY?: HOW DO I ESCAPE THE FULL SCREEN MODE? ESC DOESN'T WORK BY ITSELF.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutting-off-full-screen-display/db860f0b-4b7c-4cf0-a697-0a158defe7af