Windows 10: Attaching external drive and not able to open files

Discus and support Attaching external drive and not able to open files in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have attached an external hard drive to my laptop and although the computer recognizes the new device (it pops up under "devices and printers"), I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ChanningCochran, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Attaching external drive and not able to open files

I have attached an external hard drive to my laptop and although the computer recognizes the new device (it pops up under "devices and printers"), I am not seeing where I can actually access the folders that are in the hard drive. It will let me open the properties info for the device and allow me to "eject" it. I am not sure if I am just not looking in the right location or if there is some type of error occurring.

Thank you!

:)

ChanningCochran, Oct 21, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 21, 2019
  3. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Oct 21, 2019
  4. Attaching external drive and not able to open files

Cannot copy files from external drive

Hi,

Thank you for replying back to us.

1. Did you try to create a new user account and try to copy the files from your external drive to your computer?
    2. What is the location that you are trying to past the file? For example, are you pasting the files from your external drive to your Desktop, Documents, or somewhere else?
    3. Are you able to copy the same files from the external drive to the some other PC?
    4. Are the files write protected on your external drive?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Go to the destination folder on your computer, where you are trying to copy the files from your external drive. Let’s create a
    New Folder on your desktop.

Step 2: Double click on New Folder from your desktop and
    Right Click on some blank space and click on Properties
    and go to General tab.

Step 3: Under Attributes, completely uncheck the
    Read-only option. (The box should be blank, check it again if it has a checkmark or a small square inside it).

Step 3: Click on Apply and
    OK

Step 4: Now, open one of the files on your external drive and do the same, i.e.,
    Right Click on a file (NOT THE FOLDER) >
    Properties
    > General and under Attributes, uncheck
    Read-only option.

Step 5: Click on Apply and
    OK

Now, see if you are able to copy this file from your external drive to your computer.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Oct 21, 2019
Thema:

Attaching external drive and not able to open files

1. Attaching external drive and not able to open files - Similar Threads - Attaching external drive

2. Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive: So, today i was having a presentation and when i plugged my pendrive in my laptop and tried to paste some items in it it gave me the following errors→ You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folderwhen i click continue to give it the permission it says...
  3. Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive: So, today i was having a presentation and when i plugged my pendrive in my laptop and tried to paste some items in it it gave me the following errors→ You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folderwhen i click continue to give it the permission it says...
  4. Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External Hard Drive Unable to Open Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive Unable to Open Files: Hello, I really need help. I am looking through my external hard drive and am unable to open the files. They are mostly pictures and videos. It says "It looks like we don't support this file format". I saw that my PNG pictures open however I am not able to open any JPG or...
  6. External Hard Drive Unable to Open Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Unable to Open Files: Hello, I really need help. I am looking through my external hard drive and am unable to open the files. They are mostly pictures and videos. It says "It looks like we don't support this file format". I saw that my PNG pictures open however I am not able to open any JPG or...
  7. External Hard Drive Unable to Open Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can't open attached files

Can't open attached files: Hello everyone, I'm totally new to this and need help. I've recently been upgraded to Windows 10 and really struggling. find that I can't open files attached to my emails. I had this problem and tried to get Adobe DC but I had to pay a monthly fee as I remember. Is...
  9. No longer able to open chrome pdf files attached to an email

No longer able to open chrome pdf files attached to an email: I am no longer able to open chrome pdf files from an emailIt worked earlier this week, using the mail app on a Microsoft laptop. I tried saving the files to my computer but it still did not work. I am in school so a lot of pdfs are getting sent to me and I need to be able to...
  10. Lengthy time to open files on attached external drive

Lengthy time to open files on attached external drive: I see the green progress bar in File Explorer when I click on a file to open that is located on my attached external hard drive. I see the small blue rotating ball and the green bar moves, but then it doesn't open the file. After waiting for ten minutes, I close the File...