Windows 10: Attacked by a McAfee imposter!

Discus and support Attacked by a McAfee imposter! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm writing this post from Kubuntu Linux, not Windows Ten, because my Windows Ten installation has been attacked by a monster in the form of a McAfee... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pwabrahams, May 18, 2021.

1. Attacked by a McAfee imposter!

I'm writing this post from Kubuntu Linux, not Windows Ten, because my Windows Ten installation has been attacked by a monster in the form of a McAfee imposter. McAfee doesn't appear in the list of apps, so I can't kill it in the usual way by just deleting it from the Apps list. It beeps at me every 30 seconds or so, imploring me to enroll (and send them my credit card information) and warning me that my machine has been attacked by viruses. It flashes some variant of that message each time it beeps and won't take no for an answer. If I attempt to remove it in one of the usual ways, the next set of beeps is longer and louder. I've never used McAfee Antivirus, but I'm sure it doesn't behave that way. So how can I get rid of it? My first thought is to run a different antivirus program such as AVG,but don't how effective that would be. My second thought is to remove it from the list of running processes, assuming (a) that I can identify it and (b) that removing it from the process list is necessary and sufficient. Advice is welcome.

:)

pwabrahams, May 18, 2021

2. McAfee security

Read through this and it will show you step by step how to remove McAfee from your computer

PC Hell: How to Uninstall McAfee

hTconeM9user, May 18, 2021
  3. win 10 will not allow me to open McAfee

Hi Norbert,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. I would suggest you to un-install/re-install McAfee and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Control Panel

• Click on Programs and features, right click on the
      McAfee and select uninstall it.

• Now install it again.
    Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, May 18, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Attacked by a McAfee imposter!

About Ransomware attack

Here is Microsoft's Customer Guidance on the Ransomware Attack:

• In March, we released a security update which addresses the vulnerability that these attacks are exploiting. Those who have Windows Update enabled are protected against attacks on this vulnerability. For those organizations who have not yet applied the
      security update, we suggest you immediately deploy Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010.

• For customers using Windows Defender, we released an update earlier today which detects this threat as Ransom:Win32/WannaCrypt.
      As an additional “defense-in-depth” measure, keep up-to-date anti-malware software installed on your machines. Customers running anti-malware software from any number of security companies can confirm with their provider, that they are protected.

• This attack type may evolve over time, so any additional defense-in-depth strategies will provide additional protections. (For example, to further protect against SMBv1 attacks, customers
      should consider blocking legacy protocols on their networks).

For the full article,
    Click HERE

DaveM121, May 18, 2021
Thema:

Attacked by a McAfee imposter!

1. Attacked by a McAfee imposter! - Similar Threads - Attacked McAfee imposter

2. An Over-The-Top McAfee Anti-Virus Ad Attack. I "will never" buy them again.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An Over-The-Top McAfee Anti-Virus Ad Attack. I "will never" buy them again.: I have Windows10 Dell laptop....How can I get rid of an extremely intrusive, overbearing, nonstop buildup of sizable ads all over my computer screen. If McAfee Anti-virus was the first, last or only pushers of such, I swear I'd sacrifice any computer I've ever owned rather...
  3. An Over-The-Top McAfee Anti-Virus Ad Attack. I "will never" buy them again.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    An Over-The-Top McAfee Anti-Virus Ad Attack. I "will never" buy them again.: I have Windows10 Dell laptop....How can I get rid of an extremely intrusive, overbearing, nonstop buildup of sizable ads all over my computer screen. If McAfee Anti-virus was the first, last or only pushers of such, I swear I'd sacrifice any computer I've ever owned rather...
  4. Attacked by a McAfee imposter!

Attacked by a McAfee imposter!: I'm writing this post from Kubuntu Linux, not Windows Ten, because my Windows Ten installation has been attacked by a monster in the form of a McAfee imposter. McAfee doesn't appear in the list of apps, so I can't kill it in the usual way by just deleting it from the Apps...
  5. mcafee

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    mcafee: is mcafee is a part of microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mcafee/c806195d-ccf3-411a-a34b-fa031091ee46
  6. Attack

Attack: I NEED TO SHUT DOWN MY SCHOOL SERVER. HELP? contact me for I.p address and details lets make it happen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/attack/982fa328-11d5-4f29-ab80-a7caccd52143
  7. McAfee

McAfee: Hi,Did I need McAfee for extra protection?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/mcafee/f6b00cdb-fa26-4ec5-9c08-cca5fac6dfef
  8. McAfee

McAfee: I want to delete all of McAfee from my computer. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/mcafee/37edc497-3cc5-44a6-a839-18aaae7eb203
  9. McAfee

McAfee: I don't have McAfee, nor do I want. Norton can with Comcast and have had since 2009. Getting notifications that McAfee is out of date or subscription has expired. What do I do.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/mcafee/551a6219-743c-4afc-b9c1-f972be5242fe
  10. McAfee Detected Virus Attack

McAfee Detected Virus Attack: ATTACK???? what should I do??? McAfee caught it and quarantined it BUT...…. [ATTACH] [Original Title: Virus ATTACK] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/mcafee-detected-virus-attack/9f6a5402-2b4e-47d4-8b42-bc2066c90ed6