Windows 10: Attackers can turn Microsoft exploit defense tool EMET against itself

Discus and support Attackers can turn Microsoft exploit defense tool EMET against itself in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hackers can easily disable the Microsoft Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET), a free tool used by companies to strengthen their Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Attackers can turn Microsoft exploit defense tool EMET against itself

Read more: Attackers can turn Microsoft's exploit defense tool EMET against itself | PCWorld

:)

Brink, Feb 23, 2016

2. Does EMET perform well ?

No...having EMET is not really necessary.

Further, some security researchers have advised not to to use multiple anti-exploit applications because using more than one of them at the same time can hamper the effectiveness of

Return-oriented programming (ROP)

and other exploit checks. This in turn can result in the system becoming even more vulnerable than if only one anti-exploit application is running.

ROP is a computer security exploit technique that allows an attacker to execute code in the presence of security defenses such as non-executable memory and code signing.

Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR)

is a computer security technique involved in protection from buffer overflow attacks. These security technologies are intended to mitigate (reduce) the effectiveness of exploit attempts. Many advanced exploits relay on
    ROP and ASLR as attack vectors used to defeat security defenses and execute malicious code on the system. For example, they can be used to bypass DEP (data execution prevention) which is used to stop buffer overflows and memory
    corruption exploits. Tools with ROP and ASLR protection such as
    Microsoft’s Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)
    use technology that checks each critical function call to determine if it's legitimate (if those features are enabled).

This is a quote from
    Fabian Wosar
    , a Security Colleague and developer who works for Emsisoft...from

HMP.Alert & MBAE, Post #7

"EMET, HMP.Alert and MBAE can all be useful under certain circumstances. The most effective step to fending of exploits is to reduce your attack surface. Keep the software you use up-to-date and try to get rid of Java and Adobe plugins. If you can't get
    rid of them completely, at least turn them on only for the sites that you know won't work without them. All browsers that I have used in the past year have features which makes it very easy to limit plugins to just a few sites. If for some reason you can't
    do either of that, then adding exploit protection can be somewhat useful."

quietman7 - MVP, Feb 23, 2016
  3. How crypto ransomware spreads... is it decryptable...should I pay the ransom

The best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware (crypto malware) infections is a

comprehensive approach
    . Make sure you are running an updated anti-virus and anti-malware product, update all vulnerable software, use supplemental security tools with

anti-exploitation features
    capable of stopping (preventing) infection before it can cause any damage, close/disable

Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)
    if you do not need it and routinely
    backup your data...then disconnect the external drive when the backup is completed. If you must use RDP, the best way to secure it is to either whitelist IP's on a firewall or not expose it to the Internet. Put RDP behind a firewall, only allow
    RDP from local traffic, setup a VPN to the firewall and
    enforce strong password policies
    , especially on any admin accounts or those with RDP privileges.

You should also rely on
    behavior detection programs
    rather then standard anti-virus definition (signature) detection software only. This means using programs that can detect when malware is in the act of modifying/encrypting files AND stop it rather
    than just detecting the malicious file itself which in most cases is not immediately detected by anti-virus software. Some anti-virus and anti-malware programs include built-in
    anti-exploitation protection.

As with most ransomware...your best defense is back up, back up, back up and the best solution for dealing with encrypted data is to restore from backups.
    Backing up data and

disk imaging
    are among the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regular basis, yet it's one of the most neglected areas.

QUOTE from
    How do I decrypt files encrypted by ransomware?

"...Prevention before the fact is the only guaranteed peace of mind on this one."

Ransomware Prevention Tools:

Keep in mind that some security researchers have advised not to to use multiple anti-exploit applications because using more than one of them at the same time can

Return-oriented programming (ROP)
    , and other exploit checks. This in turn can result in the system becoming even more vulnerable than if only one anti-exploit application is running. In some cases multiple tools can cause
    interference with each other and program crashes

Quote from
    Use an Anti-Exploit Program to Help Protect Your PC From Zero-Day Attacks

"While you should use an antivirus (even just the Windows Defender tool built into Windows 10, 8.1, and 8) as well as an anti-exploit program, you shouldn’t use multiple anti-exploit programs...These types of tools could potentially interfere with each
    other in ways that cause applications to crash or just be unprotected, too
    ."

quietman7 - MVP, Feb 23, 2016
  4. Attackers can turn Microsoft exploit defense tool EMET against itself

I wonder if this would also be something to consider for use on personal as well as business systems as an additional protection measure? It does show that someone will always be trying to break something MS puts out!

Night Hawk, Feb 25, 2016
  5. Dirk41 Win User
    Thank you for the news.
    So now (w10 user here ) the vulnerability is fixed?
    Thank you

Dirk41, Mar 31, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    My reading of the info is that if you run the latest version of EMET, you are not subject to the reported vulnerability. That latest version is numbered 5.5, and you can download it from the Microsoft Download Center.

EMET has been available for free from MS for some time now. It is recommended for use on all modern Windows clients as a best practice by the MS in-house Security team, and by many third-party experts including Larry Seltzer and Ed Skoudis (both well-known Windows security and malware experts).

I've been running it on my clients since the early part of this decade (I first blogged about it in September 2012) and it hasn't posed any stability or behavior problems or caused any appreciable performance issues that I've noticed.

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 31, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
Thema:

Attackers can turn Microsoft exploit defense tool EMET against itself

1. Attackers can turn Microsoft exploit defense tool EMET against itself - Similar Threads - Attackers turn Microsoft

2. Ransom attack defense?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ransom attack defense?: The Microsoft advice on ransom attack defense Protect your PC from ransomware microsoft.com says File History protects against ransom attacks. Is that true? Wouldn't a ransom attack encrypt the file history too?What happens to the OneDrive versions of my files if a ransom...
  3. Attacks exploiting Netlogon vulnerability (CVE-2020-1472)

in Windows 10 News
    Attacks exploiting Netlogon vulnerability (CVE-2020-1472): MSRC / By Aanchal Gupta / October 29, 2020 / Active Directory, EOP, Patch, Standard), vulnerability, Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019 all editions, Windows Server version 1809...
  4. Exploit attack - 61003

Exploit attack - 61003: I have Word 2010. Norton has detected and blocked an exploit attack - 61003 - and continues to shut down Word. I cannot access any documents. Do not want to turn off Norton for fear of damage. Any help appreciated by this digital novice....
  5. THE NEED OF A DEFENSE QUAD THAT PROTECT US AGAINST THE CERTIFICATED...

THE NEED OF A DEFENSE QUAD THAT PROTECT US AGAINST THE CERTIFICATED...: I need HELP TO STOP some unsolicited and naughty sender, with STRONG unappropriated content accessing my account. How is it that they are able to do this even when they have been BLOCKED. Once they are BLOCKED, they SHOULDNT be allowed to send any email to the account owner...
  6. Mozilla hardening Firefox against Injection Attacks

in Windows 10 News
    Mozilla hardening Firefox against Injection Attacks: A proven effective way to counter code injection attacks is to reduce the attack surface by removing potentially dangerous artifacts in the codebase and hence hardening the code at various levels. To make Firefox resilient against such code injection attacks, we removed...
  7. Most common malware attacks against mobile devices in 2019

in Windows 10 News
    Most common malware attacks against mobile devices in 2019: Malware attacks against mobile devices - Android in particular - have rocketed this year, with hackers increasingly turning their attention to attacking smartphones by stealing credentials, surveillance, and malicious advertising. Researchers at Check Point examined cyber...
  8. Improve your defensive posture with Exploit Guard ASR in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Improve your defensive posture with Exploit Guard ASR in Windows 10: Windows 10 brings with it a host of new security features – but some of them come with a string attached: you must turn them on! (Security is never easy, is it?) So, why is some assembly required? If there is a security feature that is opt-in, you can bet that there is the...
  9. EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit?

EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit?: Just wondering what people are using for Windows 10? Apparently EMET can be easily exploited in Windows 10 and MB Anti exploit is recommended over it. Any opinions on this? Does the premium version of Anti exploit allow you to secure 3rd party apps as EMET is able to? 64470
  10. Moving Beyond EMET II – Windows Defender Exploit Guard

in Windows 10 News
    Moving Beyond EMET II – Windows Defender Exploit Guard: Since we last wrote about the future of EMET and how it relates to Windows 10 back in November 2016 (see Moving Beyond EMET), we have received lots of invaluable feedback from EMET customers and enthusiasts regarding the upcoming EMET end of life. Based on that feedback, we...