Windows 10: Attemp to write a Windows 10 ISO on an empty 16gb USB Drive

Discus and support Attemp to write a Windows 10 ISO on an empty 16gb USB Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Tried to Download Windows 10 ISO to reload Windows. The size of the ISO is ~ 5gb. Using an empty 16gb USB, Three times Windows say "TOO LARGE for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jagman, Jun 18, 2020.

1. jagman Win User

Attemp to write a Windows 10 ISO on an empty 16gb USB Drive

Tried to Download Windows 10 ISO to reload Windows. The size of the ISO is ~ 5gb. Using an empty 16gb USB, Three times Windows say "TOO LARGE for destination file system. The USB is a FAT32. Finally, downloaded to my root HD and yes, the ISO's are ~ 5gb. But Windows still refuses to COPY this file to the 16gb USB.

Anyone know why? Should I try to define the USB as NTFS?

:)

jagman, Jun 18, 2020
  2. jagman Win User

Tried to Download Windows 10 ISO to reload Windows. The size of the ISO is ~ 5gb. Using an empty 16gb USB, Three times Windows say "TOO LARGE for destination file system. The USB is a FAT32. Finally, downloaded to my root HD and yes, the ISO's are ~ 5gb. But Windows still refuses to COPY this file to the 16gb USB.

Anyone know why? Should I try to define the USB as NTFS?

jagman, Jun 19, 2020
  3. MisterEd Win User

FAT32 file size limit: 4 GB
    You can't just copy the ISO file to a USB anyways because it won't boot that way.
    You can use a program like Rufus to make a bootable Windows 10 installation USB

Create a Windows 10 USB Bootable Flash Drive (Updated)
    Create a Windows 10 USB Bootable Flash Drive (Updated)

If you already have a Windows computer that is doing this the hard way. The easiest way is to go to the "Download Windows 10" site and get the Media Creation Tool. You can use it make the Windows 10 USB drive for you.

Download Windows 10
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

MisterEd, Jun 19, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

That suggestion was in case if the OP wanted to put a copy of the ISO on a USB to transfer it to another machine, not as a way to make a bootable usb.

Thema:

1. Attemp to write a Windows 10 ISO on an empty 16gb USB Drive - Similar Threads - Attemp write ISO

2. BSOD - Attemped Write Readonly Memory xusb22.sys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - Attemped Write Readonly Memory xusb22.sys: Recently got a BSOD with the error "Attempted Write Readonly Memory" and it mentioned xusb22.sys as a problem.Here is the DMP file from the BSOD:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmBtipVBx2pVgR5opDLgBrNqo5bF?e=Uy1pVx...
  3. BSOD - Attemped Write Readonly Memory xusb22.sys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD - Attemped Write Readonly Memory xusb22.sys: Recently got a BSOD with the error "Attempted Write Readonly Memory" and it mentioned xusb22.sys as a problem.Here is the DMP file from the BSOD:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmBtipVBx2pVgR5opDLgBrNqo5bF?e=Uy1pVx...
  4. BSOD - Attemped Write Readonly Memory xusb22.sys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 - How to un-write-protect USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - How to un-write-protect USB drive: My usb flash suddenly decided it is "write protected". How do I reverse this so I can work with the files on the usb?I found a similar question posted under Windows 7 with a response as follows:1.Did you try testing the same device on different computer? Yes only this...
  6. Write Protect USB Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Write Protect USB Drive: I need to make some data easily transferable and *tinker proof*. I have a set of 20 GB mostly PDF other Documents. Therefore I would like to put this data on a USB stick and afterward block anyone from editing selected parts. What can I do and how? submitted by...
  7. Attemp to write a Windows 10 ISO on an empty 16gb USB Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Attemp to write a Windows 10 ISO on an empty 16gb USB Drive: Tried to Download Windows 10 ISO to reload Windows. The size of the ISO is ~ 5gb. Using an empty 16gb USB, Three times Windows say "TOO LARGE for destination file system. The USB is a FAT32. Finally, downloaded to my root HD and yes, the ISO's are ~ 5gb. But Windows still...
  8. Use Linux dd command to write Windows 10 ISO to USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use Linux dd command to write Windows 10 ISO to USB flash drive: Is there anything special about Windows 10 ISO files that would preclude the use of the dd command, for example, dd if=name-of-Windows-ISO-file of=/dev/sdX where sdX represents the USB flash drive? This command works for Linux distributions, but I've never tried it...
  9. Will not write to USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will not write to USB drive: My Windows 10 OS has decided it does not like USB flash drives any more. It knows one is plugged in, there is a bleep when it's plugged in, File Manager shows it as "USB Drive H:", Device Manager shows it as a mass storage device and it is present as a hidden icon on the...
  10. Windows froze and killed my 16GB USB flash drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows froze and killed my 16GB USB flash drive: Hello all, I have this older laptop which is stuck in a repair loop again. Last time it got stuck I used the Windows Media Creation tool to reinstall Windows on it as it couldn't manage to do so on itself. This time, however, when I tried installing the Media Tool, on the...