Windows 10: Attempt to use a product key from another device which i no longer have.

Discus and support Attempt to use a product key from another device which i no longer have. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, my old laptop failed and I tossed it into the electronics recycle bin. I have a new desktop upon which I installed Windows 10. When I tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Jnich23, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Jnich23 Win User

Attempt to use a product key from another device which i no longer have.

Hi, my old laptop failed and I tossed it into the electronics recycle bin. I have a new desktop upon which I installed Windows 10. When I tried to activate it with the product key from windows on the old discarded device, I got the following error:

We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key. If you think you do have a valid license or key,

select Troubleshoot below. Error code 0xC004C060

I went on the Microsoft website and deleted the discarded laptop before installing windows on the new desktop.

I tried the troubleshoot link without success.

Is there anyway I can transfer the product key from the old device to the new one? - John

:)

Jnich23, Feb 7, 2020
  2. CarolKopp Win User

My Product Key

I have hit another roadblock in my marathon two-day attempt to restore the laptop that Windows 10 destroyed. I do not have the product key for the device, so cannot even revert to Windows 8.1. The product key is not shown in the Amazon purchase listing for the device, and I long ago lost the paperwork. Is there any way I can look it up (keeping in mind of course that the device itself is utterly unusable in its current state)?

CarolKopp, Feb 7, 2020
  3. Superfly Win User
    Product Key

Keys are not required for the upgrade process. Windows 10 has a built-in generic key which it uses to install - it acquires the underlying Win7/Win8 activation during the upgrade process and assigns your device ID as a valid Windows 10 activated device. Subsequent installs will thus activate using your device ID. You will not require a key - should you be prompted, select "skip". Activation is automatic thereafter.

See step 6 here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

Attempt to use a product key from another device which i no longer have. [​IMG]

Superfly, Feb 7, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

My Product Key

You can create a bootable USB, DVD or CD of Kyhi's recovery drive:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Boot the computer from that and it contains Superfly's Showkey Plus utility which will display any product keys stored in bios/UEFI and what version of Windows the product key is for:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Attempt to use a product key from another device which i no longer have. - Similar Threads - Attempt product key

2. Windows code says "Product key used on another device"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows code says "Product key used on another device": I tried to activate windows 11 Pro N using 11 Pro I dont know why i selected 11 pro N without knowing the difference when i installed windows on my new pc a few days ago then i was told i couldnt do that so i just did a clean install of windows. In the new install, the dark...
  3. Windows code says "Product key used on another device"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows code says "Product key used on another device": I tried to activate windows 11 Pro N using 11 Pro I dont know why i selected 11 pro N without knowing the difference when i installed windows on my new pc a few days ago then i was told i couldnt do that so i just did a clean install of windows. In the new install, the dark...
  4. I have a windows 10 key which is associated with a laptop, but that is no longer in use,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a windows 10 key which is associated with a laptop, but that is no longer in use,...: I bought a retail key of the windows 10 a while back. But the laptop I had it activated died due to some issues. Now I am planning to build a new PC, can anyone help me in this matter. Thank you in advance....
  5. I have a windows 10 key which is associated with a laptop, but that is no longer in use,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a windows 10 key which is associated with a laptop, but that is no longer in use,...: I bought a retail key of the windows 10 a while back. But the laptop I had it activated died due to some issues. Now I am planning to build a new PC, can anyone help me in this matter. Thank you in advance....
  6. I have a windows 10 key which is associated with a laptop, but that is no longer in use,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Product Key says it is being used on another device?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product Key says it is being used on another device?: Hi, I have had my computer for 4+ years, I recently got a new motherboard and CPU and re-installed windows, but was having issues with my PC bluescreening, and after running tests assumed my motherboard was no good. Just yesterday I got a new one, and obviously, my PC is...
  8. I have product key for win 10 2019 , Can I run it on another device ?

I have product key for win 10 2019 , Can I run it on another device ?: I have product key for win 10 2019 , Can I run it on another device ? Is will be activated version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-product-key-for-win-10-2019-can-i-run-it-on/a621c1ad-4730-43a3-95ee-a192b09608f8
  9. Can't activate Windows because "the product key was already used on another device".

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't activate Windows because "the product key was already used on another device".: I don't know what else to say here. I recently got the latest version of Windows 10 and I haven't had Windows 10 activated for a while. After resetting for the first time which was a year ago, I found that I was unable to activate windows again on this device because it was...
  10. Using the current device's product key on my another device.

Using the current device's product key on my another device.: Hello, My 6 year old PC has Windows 10 PRO (Retail License). It came with Windows 7 Home which also was successfully upgraded to Windows 10 Home (OEM License). Now, I have bought a new PC which came with Windows 10 Home. How do I use my retail PRO product key in my new laptop...