Windows 10: Attempted imaging a HDD onto an SSD, still cannot boot off of SSD

Discus and support Attempted imaging a HDD onto an SSD, still cannot boot off of SSD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I made a post a few days ago asking how I could boot off of a cloned ssd. I created a rescue USB and booted off of that using Macrium. While on the USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by NotIdeal, Aug 28, 2020.

1. NotIdeal Win User

Attempted imaging a HDD onto an SSD, still cannot boot off of SSD

I made a post a few days ago asking how I could boot off of a cloned ssd. I created a rescue USB and booted off of that using Macrium. While on the USB I created an image of my HDD and then restored the image into the SSD. When I attempted to boot off of the SSD, the text "Missing Boot Device" appeared.

This is my previous post: Cannot Boot off of Cloned SSD

:)

NotIdeal, Aug 28, 2020
  2. BulldogXX Win User

HDD to SSD

I don't understand why you changed the boot order in your BIOS.

When you image or clone an HDD, and restore the image or clone to an SSD, you've got an identical copy of your computer on a different hard drive. Nothing has changed, really. So the next step is to remove the HDD from your computer and replace it with the
    SSD, then carry on as normal.

BulldogXX, Aug 28, 2020
  3. Neox99 Win User
    Changing Boot Drive from HDD to SSD

Trying to understand here.

Do you have Win-10 installed on a HDD and on a SSD?

If so are you asking how to get your system to boot from the SSD opposed the HDD?

If you don't get an option of seeing a boot option at the beginning of the BIOS process {mine is to press ESC to see boot menu] check with the manufacturer. There HAS to be a key which does that.

Another possibility is: If both drives are SATA just switch the cables and reboot.

Check your Configuration file and see if 2 OSs are listed.

As you can see here, I have mine set to dual-boot. Win-10 on a HDD and Win-7 on a SSD.

Attempted imaging a HDD onto an SSD, still cannot boot off of SSD 9de35259-1592-4229-ac9e-131e1cbf3fba.jpg

Neox99, Aug 28, 2020
  4. alden2662 Win User

How to change boot from HDD to SSD?

Hello,

Thank you for the advice, I followed your instruction, went to F2 in BIOS and changed sequence of bootable disks putting SDD on top of HDD, so it was on BIOS like this :1) Windows, 2) SSD Crucial; 3) Toshiba HDD ( original drive).

But results were pretty suprising: booting did not cut by 80% like some people say it will if boot will go from SSD instead of HDD. It looks to me booting from SSD is even longer than from HDD and I now wonder if cloning was done correctly, may be it something
    wrong with partition?

I checked disk management and copied image from it. Disk 1 (SSD) shows Healthy (primary partition) and HDD shows Healthy (boot, page file, crash dump and primary partition). SSD is missing page file, crash dump) May be it's the reason why SSD boot is slow?
    And if I will have to erase my cloned Windows from SSD is it possible to clone it again to the same SSD may be using different software?. I am afraid if I format SSD to re-clone my HDD, it will erase not just my Windows and some other apps on SSD but also
    it will erase installation software that came with SSD. I will appreciate your advice.

AD

Attempted imaging a HDD onto an SSD, still cannot boot off of SSD 266726ee-d797-4c2e-ac3a-f59b4402f746?upload=true.png

alden2662, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Attempted imaging a HDD onto an SSD, still cannot boot off of SSD - Similar Threads - Attempted imaging HDD

2. HDD Required to boot SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD Required to boot SSD: I've installed windows 10 on a new SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1TB and it works just fine currently using it to create this post. However, my problem is that it seems that I need my old HDD to be able to boot the SDD. I want to set the SSD as the primary bootable device, but when I...
  3. Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD: I am wanting to swap my windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD, I was wondering if I choose to reinstall windows will it give me the option of where I install it, or will it automatically go to the disk it was already installed on?...
  4. Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD: I am wanting to swap my windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD, I was wondering if I choose to reinstall windows will it give me the option of where I install it, or will it automatically go to the disk it was already installed on?...
  5. Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. How do I get windows off of a hdd and onto a ssd.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I get windows off of a hdd and onto a ssd.: So I built my friends computer but we are reusing his old HDD as well as a new SSD. How would I go about getting/transferring Windows 10 off of the HDD and onto the SSD? submitted by /u/FoxStealth [link] [comments]...
  7. Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot: Full details - I bought a new Samsung SSD for my laptop, put it into the spare M.2 NVME slot, cloned my OEM installed SSD onto it using Samsung Data Migration, removed the OEM SSD, booted from the new one and it worked like a charm. Now, I tried to do the same thing with my...
  8. Cannot Boot off of Cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cannot Boot off of Cloned SSD: I recently got a new ssd to use alongside an hdd in my pc. I tried to clone my hdd to my ssd using three different software: EaseUS Partition Master (Did not work since every action seemed to be behind a paywall?), Macrium Reflect (Did not work as I received an error about...
  9. SSD and HDD boot sequence off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD and HDD boot sequence off: I have a peculiar problem. I have a dell Inspiron 3521 laptop. It was running windows 10 as primary OS and Ubuntu as secondary with grub as boot manager. I got frequent BSODs so thought may be the HDD was dying so removed the HDD and replaced it with an SSD and did a clean...
  10. Restoring HDD image to SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring HDD image to SSD: I am having dual boot PC, XP and Win 10, both on different HDD. I just bought a 250 GB SSD for restoring my Win 10 OS and System Reserved macrium image on this new SSD. I made three volumes 2 GB for System Reserved, 130 for OS and rest free. When I look in Disk Management,...