Windows 10: Attempting to boot SATA drive in new HP Envy results in BSOD

Discus and support Attempting to boot SATA drive in new HP Envy results in BSOD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Shot in the dark because I believe the issue to be hardware-related, but maybe someone has some experience with this problem. I'm running into the BSOD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RobbinsRepairCT, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Attempting to boot SATA drive in new HP Envy results in BSOD

Shot in the dark because I believe the issue to be hardware-related, but maybe someone has some experience with this problem. I'm running into the BSOD message "Inaccessible boot device". Winver for all OS' involved in this post is Windows 10 64-bit, 20H2. Here's the timeline: My client purchased a new HP Envy desktop to replace the aging desktop she has now. The plan going into the service was to take her SATA SSD (Windows 10 installation) she had in her old desktop, connect it internally to the new Envy desktop (also Windows 10), boot into Windows, all is copacetic. Well, as they say, nothing ever goes according to plan. Discovered her SATA SSD was MBR, and this particular Envy is GPT/UEFI only. No problem right? I back up her original Windows 10 installation, format her SATA SSD, convert the SSD to GPT, restore her installation, try to boot again. Should work, but unfortunately, it didn't. BSOD, "inaccessible boot device". I brought her SATA SSD home with me to my personal computer to see if I could get the drive to work in another system. I made sure the boot files were restored and made sure that boot mode in my BIOS was set to UEFI. I was able to boot her SATA SSD successfully with my system. Perfect...so why isn't her SATA SSD booting on her new Envy? I tried something for curiosity's sake. I have a SATA to USB 3.0 adapter. Very convenient piece of gear. I tried booting the SATA SSD with the USB adapter connected to the Envy. Curiously enough, it worked. I was blown away. So we can confirm that the HP Envy can boot the SATA SSD, but only through external means. So bizarre. I went ahead and checked to see if her old desktop was capable of booting UEFI. Sure enough, it was able to boot. My client thankfully has a desktop she can use, but all of this troubleshooting leaves me stumped. So in summary, GPT/UEFI SATA SSD behaves thusly: Can boot via UEFI on my personal system (AMD Ryzen 5 5600x, motherboard is MSI B550 Gaming Pro with up-to-date BIOS).Can boot via UEFI through SATA to USB 3.0 adapter connected to new HP Envy desktop.Can boot via UEFI through the client's old desktop (Intel Ivy Bridge or Haswell-based, I know it's an i7 processor in a socket 1155, MSI H61 chipset motherboard).Can NOT boot via UEFI through an internal SATA connection in the new HP Envy desktop. Is there something I'm missing here? Will secure boot or TPM prevent me from booting from the SATA SSD? My next experiment would be to try cloning the SATA SSD over to the included NVM-E SSD in the HP Envy. I fear that I would: a) lose the brand new, fresh install of Windows 10, b) still not be able to boot with the old Windows 10 installation. I believe something in the motherboard hardware is preventing me from booting any Windows installation that did not come included with the new Envy desktop. Has anyone encountered a situation like this? Any assistance would be great. Thanks in advance! - Aaron

:)

RobbinsRepairCT, Jul 11, 2021
  2. Xlrtech Win User

HP laptop - multiple BSODs

I have an HP Pavilion 15-cs0021na, (Intel i3, 8GB, 128GB SSD) running Windows 10 Home, which exhibits the following characteristics:

• On startup, occasionally completes boot, but within 5 minutes, BSODs. with a random error, e.g. Page Fault, IRQL not equal, Memory Management and so on.
    • Repeated attempts to reboot then fail with more random BSODs
    • Rarely, it will attempt a Startup Repair – which will invariably fail with another BSOD.
    • Wiping the hard disk and attempting to install a clean version of the OS (downloaded from Microsoft using Media Creation Tool to USB stick) will get a little way into the process, then fail with BSOD as above.

What I’ve done:

• Attempted clean install as above.
    • Run multiple hardware tests on Memory and SSD - HP’s built-in tests, Memtest86, Seagate disk tools. All tests pass with no errors.
    • Updated BIOS from Insyde F.04 to F.22 (HP supplied).
    • Repeated clean install, same result.

I have now run out of ideas, and am at a loss to understand what is causing these errors. How are BSODs generated if no Windows installation is present? Is it likely that a hardware component other than RAM or the SSD is causing these?

Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated.

Xlrtech, Jul 11, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    how do I open the cd/dvd disk drive on the back of the HP envy all-in-one?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

For better clarity, please let us know:

• When you say, “how do I open the cd/dvd disk drive on the back” are you not able to open the drive to enter a disk or trying to replace the drive?
    • What is the exact model number of the HP Envy PC that you are using? To check type:
      msinfo32 in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.

If the CD/DVD drive is not getting detected on the computer, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned in the HP article
    HP PCs - CD/DVD Drive Is Not Detected (Windows 10, 8).

If you are unable to burn CD/DVD using the drive, I suggest you to refer the steps mentioned in the HP article

HP PCs - CD or DVD Drive Cannot Burn Discs (Windows 10, 8)

Please provide more information on the issue that you are facing to help you with the appropriate steps.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 11, 2021
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Attempting to boot SATA drive in new HP Envy results in BSOD

HP Envy Laptop Battery not charging after Windows 10 installation

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I suggest you to un-install and re-install battery drivers from Device manager and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Device Manager.
    • Expand Batteries and right click on Batteries ACPI and click on Un-install.
    • Restart the computer and check.

If the issue persist, I suggest you to visit HP Envy website and check whether HP has released any firmware updates for Windows 10. If so, please go ahead and install them and check with the issue.

Yaqub K, Jul 11, 2021
Thema:

Attempting to boot SATA drive in new HP Envy results in BSOD

1. Attempting to boot SATA drive in new HP Envy results in BSOD - Similar Threads - Attempting boot SATA

2. BSOD on HP Envy x360

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD on HP Envy x360: Hello everyone, I've been struggling about this for a while now. My laptop has constantly been plagued with BSOD crashes and I've tried almost everything and finally got to a point where using the driver verifier got me a dump file. I've tried everything else from updating...
  3. BSOD on HP Envy x360

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD on HP Envy x360: Hello everyone, I've been struggling about this for a while now. My laptop has constantly been plagued with BSOD crashes and I've tried almost everything and finally got to a point where using the driver verifier got me a dump file. I've tried everything else from updating...
  4. NEW Sata Hard drive will not let computer boot ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NEW Sata Hard drive will not let computer boot ?: Hi, I have an HP z220 desktop computer.It has a Sata SSD and TWO Conventional Sata hard drives.It works fine in Windows-10I wanted to add another hard drive but they don’t want to let the computer boot.But they work after I turn on the computer I plug the hard drive in via...
  5. NEW Sata Hard drive will not let computer boot ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NEW Sata Hard drive will not let computer boot ?: Hi, I have an HP z220 desktop computer.It has a Sata SSD and TWO Conventional Sata hard drives.It works fine in Windows-10I wanted to add another hard drive but they don’t want to let the computer boot.But they work after I turn on the computer I plug the hard drive in via...
  6. NEW Sata Hard drive will not let computer boot ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Windows started an update, and now attempting to boot results in BSOD, inaccessible boot...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows started an update, and now attempting to boot results in BSOD, inaccessible boot...: Since it began installing a windows update yesterday, every time I attempt to boot up windows it bring up a bsod, with the error inaccessible boot device. There is no safe boot option in troubleshooting and attempting to do so manually does not work, as the bcdedit command...
  8. Attempting to boot SATA drive in new HP Envy results in BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Attempting to boot SATA drive in new HP Envy results in BSOD: Shot in the dark because I believe the issue to be hardware-related, but maybe someone has some experience with this problem. I'm running into the BSOD message "Inaccessible boot device". Winver for all OS' involved in this post is Windows 10 64-bit, 20H2. Here's the...
  9. strange results attempting to repair boot

in Windows 10 Support
    strange results attempting to repair boot: I just wanted to share a weird experience I had and wanted to see if anyone had this experience before So I installed an old hard drive into my pc then removed it. When I started up windows again, I was getting the "please install a proper boot device" I couldnt boot into my...
  10. BSOD W10 Pro 1903 on HP Envy (HP ENVY x360)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD W10 Pro 1903 on HP Envy (HP ENVY x360): Hello, My wife is facing many BSOD and I am not able to solve. I've tried to update all the drivers and read many forum, but I have not been able to solve and even worst I have no clue (i beleive this is due to a SSD issue or a problem when runing under the battery, i.e not...