Windows 10: Attempting to create Win7 Pro/Win10 Pro dual-boot machine. Will I be able to?

Discus and support Attempting to create Win7 Pro/Win10 Pro dual-boot machine. Will I be able to? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a 4 year old Core i7 hexcore machine, on an Asus MB with 32gb RAM. Due to some legacy programs (ProTools for 1) I do not want to convert... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Visa Guy, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Visa Guy Win User

Attempting to create Win7 Pro/Win10 Pro dual-boot machine. Will I be able to?

I have a 4 year old Core i7 hexcore machine, on an Asus MB with 32gb RAM. Due to some legacy programs (ProTools for 1) I do not want to convert completely to Win10 as it will end up costing me a lot of $$ to upgrade programs and move to subscription models for them. So, I bought a new WD Blue 1TB SSD, and a copy of Win10 Pro direct from MS, planning to install it on the D: drive and create a machine I can boot into Win10 to use for some things that I will install, but also boot to Win7 to run my legacy programs.

I downloaded the Win10 isntall from MS onto an SD Card with 16gb of space on it. I can boot from this card but 1st I got the error requiring me to change the new drive to a GPT drive from an MBR drive; then it said there was no active partition on the drive. Am I just spinning my wheels, and am I going to have to build a new computer to use my Win10 purchased OS? I'm pulling my hair out!

:)

Visa Guy, Dec 9, 2019
  2. Karim_HT Win User

Dual boot with same OS, that is Windows 10 Pro on both

Hi,

I would like to have two separate/different Win10 Pro machines in my notebook for different purposes: personal and work.

I am a contractor and currently in my notebook I have a dual boot with Win10 Pro (personal use) and Win7 Pro (work). I have been informed that Win10 is now approved by the IT organization in the company I am working as a contractor.

Since I spend the most of the time working (using my Win7 machine) and Win10 has been approved as a valid OS for the company I am working for, I would like to have a Win10 machine for work purpose and keep my original Win10 machine for personal use.

One option that I am considering is to keep my original Win10 Pro machine and then create a virtual machine with Win10 Pro for work purpose.

The other option is to keep my original Win10 Pro machine, delete the Win7 Pro machine and create a new boot with Win10 Pro. I will use my Win7 license key to activate this new machine.

My question is, is it possible to have a dual boot with the same OS, that is Windows 10 Pro?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Karim_HT, Dec 9, 2019
  3. jbb_user Win User
    Win7 / Win10 dual boot only boots to Win10

I have a home build machine with a dual partition for booting either Win7 or Win10 selectable.

The order was Win7 followed by Win10 in the menu.

The machine would always display a screen where I could select either Win7 or Win 10. If I didn't select in time the default was the first in the menu which was Win7

Starting this evening the machine no longer displays the selection menu but instead boots immediately and directly to Win10.

What's wrong?

How can I fix this so it works the original way?

jbb_user, Dec 9, 2019
  4. Attempting to create Win7 Pro/Win10 Pro dual-boot machine. Will I be able to?

Win7 Pro (OEM) to Win10

Thanks Andre.

Just as I knew...

My original question was why I wasn't able to chose Win10 Pro when using the MCT from within Win7 Pro OEM. I'm guessing my original suggestions were correct?

Henry

HenryHonda, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

Attempting to create Win7 Pro/Win10 Pro dual-boot machine. Will I be able to?

1. Attempting to create Win7 Pro/Win10 Pro dual-boot machine. Will I be able to? - Similar Threads - Attempting create Win7

2. Dual boot and format problem Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot and format problem Win10 Pro: This is a problem a lot of other people have had, and I've not found a safe and definitive way to take care of this. I installed Win10 Pro on my new build, but at the same time I had other drives installed in the case, one being an old Win7 SSD that I used on my other old...
  3. Dual Boot Win7 and Win10: Both existent on current machine

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Boot Win7 and Win10: Both existent on current machine: Hello Folks. I am sure this has been asked before but I can't find an answer despite having spent ages trawling the threads. Feel free to point me to an earlier answer if appropriate. So here goes: I have two nvme drives on my machine. One has an up to date Win10Pro 1909 -...
  4. Dual boot Win10 Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  5. how can I dual boot win10 and win7

how can I dual boot win10 and win7: I upgraded to win 10 on my pc bt I discovered my gaming is too slow, so I want to install win 7 through a system image I created on my second pc( the same type and specs but different username and o.s since I upgraded my main pc from win7 to win10) onto the new...
  6. Dual Boot win10 Pro and Home?

Dual Boot win10 Pro and Home?: I currently dual boot win7 home premium and win10 pro TP. my question is if I upgrade or clean install over win7 will I be able to keep the win10 installation. Also want to know if I clean install win10, can I use my win7 key so I get the correct version(Home)? Also if I...
  7. how can I dual boot win10 with win7

how can I dual boot win10 with win7: simply, will have legal activated copies of each on the same PC in different drives. Right now, I have win 10, but I will have win7 on another drive. 97664
  8. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  9. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010