Windows 10: Attempting to delete video file causes File Explorer to freeze and crash

Discus and support Attempting to delete video file causes File Explorer to freeze and crash in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm having trouble with 2 video files inside the C:\Users\$USER$\Pictures\Video Projects folder which is created by the Video Editor. [ATTACH] The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by varunramakrishnan, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Attempting to delete video file causes File Explorer to freeze and crash

I'm having trouble with 2 video files inside the C:\Users\$USER$\Pictures\Video Projects folder which is created by the Video Editor.

Attempting to delete video file causes File Explorer to freeze and crash 805ad9b7-5578-458c-a903-7fc24ced2b1a?upload=true.jpg

The first is the .avi file. Whatever I try to do to it rename/delete etc, File Explorer freezes and I need to restart it from Task Manager.

The name does not have trailing spaces, the file opens in Video Player without any issues and the file is 1.42GB in size.

On trying to find out if the file is corrupted, I found out that it shows Length: 0:00:00 inside its Details. Thus far, this is the only discrepancy I'm able to find.

Attempting to delete video file causes File Explorer to freeze and crash afbd96e3-d5c0-4bb6-b531-64b2338a218e?upload=true.jpg

The other is an .mp4 file which doesn't give me any sort of freezing, but the file just refuses to get deleted.

I got this file from editing a different file. This file can be opened too and does not have any signs of corruption from whatever I could find.

I have tried to delete them using cmd but even that does not work. RDing the directory does not work either - cmd just gets stuck with a blinking cursor after the Y/N prompt.

In a nutshell, whatever I try to do to these files, File Explorer freezes and needs to be restarted.

Any help you may have that will let me delete these files will be great!

:)

varunramakrishnan, Dec 23, 2020

2. Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

thats wierd... iv never had a large file crash explorer before....

and i have files ranging upto 80GB...

slyfox2151, Dec 23, 2020
  3. temp02 Win User
    Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

It's an .exe right? Explorer probably read its icon (to a cache) when it was a "small" file and now call the quits when it finds "such a big" file.

If you want to delete it, use the console after killing explorer, you can run the console from TaskManager (Application -> New Task -> cmd). You might want to try copy the file to a different location (copy, not cut) and see if explorer can handle it in the new location before deleting it.

temp02, Dec 23, 2020
  4. Attempting to delete video file causes File Explorer to freeze and crash

Attempting to delete a file crashes Windows Explorer

There's a file on my Desktop folder that I can't move (to another folder), delete or rename - it crashes explorer.exe.
    I tried deleting this file before sleeping, but I couldn't. I figured I'd be able to do so after restarting - I'm not.

I created this file with FFMPEG by trimming a video with -s nn -to nn- this behavior with the file is unexpected.

I tried deleting it through cmd (del /f) and Powershell (remove-item) but both programs gave no output - after pressing enter, the caret kept blinking in the first empty line indefinitely. I ran them as admin.

I can't change permissions on it either (though I'm already the owner) - doing so also crashes explorer.

• Product: Windows 10 Pro
    • Version: 1903
    • Build: 10.0.18362.239

Attempting to delete video file causes File Explorer to freeze and crash vFDSv.png

Event Viewer Reports for the crash:

Unknow0059, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

Attempting to delete video file causes File Explorer to freeze and crash

1. Attempting to delete video file causes File Explorer to freeze and crash - Similar Threads - Attempting delete video

2. Attempting to access C:\ causes file explorer to freeze and crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Attempting to access C:\ causes file explorer to freeze and crash: If I right or left-click C:\ or any folder within it from quick access, file explorer freezes and crashes. I experienced this problem once before, and I reinstalled windows to fix it. I had chalked it up to a weird bug, but now it's happened twice in two weeks. The only weird...
  3. Attempting to access C:\ causes file explorer to freeze and crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Attempting to access C:\ causes file explorer to freeze and crash: If I right or left-click C:\ or any folder within it from quick access, file explorer freezes and crashes. I experienced this problem once before, and I reinstalled windows to fix it. I had chalked it up to a weird bug, but now it's happened twice in two weeks. The only weird...
  4. File Explorer crashes and freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes and freezes: For some reason, I clicked on the gallery icon at the top under the home icon, and then it asked me for something that I don't know what it was, but it needed administrator access. After that, I can't open any files at all. The files on the desktop are opening, even the...
  5. File Explorer crashes and freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer crashes and freezes: For some reason, I clicked on the gallery icon at the top under the home icon, and then it asked me for something that I don't know what it was, but it needed administrator access. After that, I can't open any files at all. The files on the desktop are opening, even the...
  6. is File Explorer supposed to freeze then crash?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    is File Explorer supposed to freeze then crash?: - When I open FE it seems unusually slow ie compared to other programs. Sometimes nothing happens. Other times nothing happens AND the arrow to the right also doesn't help. As often as not it freezes then crashes. Far from saving time, FE wastes my time. - There is no error...
  7. File Explorer crashes when attempting to copy files from camera

File Explorer crashes when attempting to copy files from camera: I have been trying to copy files from my digital camera but when I attempt to paste in a local folder, File Explorer crashes and refuses to allow me to make the transfer. This has happened several times recently over multiple days I have restarted the computer several times....
  8. File explorer freezing and crashing

File explorer freezing and crashing: My file explorer freezes whenever I try to click on a Microsoft Office file (powerpoint presentations, excel spreadsheets, word docs etc). It eventually crashes and restarts but I can never open office files from file explorer. In order to open files I have to use the open...
  9. File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash

File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash: After installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, the New context menu no longer works. If I right-click an empty area in File Explorer and move to the New menu, Explorer freezes and then crashes. Same thing happens if I click on the New Item icon on the toolbar. The...
  10. File Explorer crashes attempting file operations, on network drives

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crashes attempting file operations, on network drives: Hi This is another FileExplorer crash post - however this one slightly different than others I could find, and the solutions for the others has not provided a solution either. Long story short - upon attempting file operations on mapped network drives - e.g. rename...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop freezes when i try to delete folder