Windows 10: Attempting to enable .net framework and Dism does nothing

Discus and support Attempting to enable .net framework and Dism does nothing in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I just upgraded to Windows 10 x64 today and I am attempting to get everything back up and running the way I like it. I've run across a problem where... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Bowiie, May 11, 2016.

1. Bowiie Win User

Attempting to enable .net framework and Dism does nothing

I just upgraded to Windows 10 x64 today and I am attempting to get everything back up and running the way I like it. I've run across a problem where several things I'm attempting to install are requiring .net framework 3.5 to be enabled. I have now tried this through letting the program attempt to do it, enabling it manually in windows, and using the Dism command in tandem with my win10 USB.

Everytime I try to enable it I get the pop up that eventually gets stuck at searching for required files, or downloading required files. which I can't close outside of killing it in task manager. I have tried rebooting to no success. When I try using cmd and the Dism command it returns the following and stops doing anything.

"Deployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0"

The cursor moves to the next blank line but does not give me the ability to type anything. This problem has passed the point of being frustrating any help would be greatly appreciated.

For clarification the Dism command I'm using is: "C:\Windows\system32>Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /source:H:\x86\sources\sxs /LimitAccess"

:)

Bowiie, May 11, 2016
  2. Kapil Arya MVP, May 11, 2016
  3. Can't install/enable .NET 3.5 Framework

We appreciate the screenshot that you have provided us. Since you are unable to install .NET Framework using Windows features you can also install it thru the DISM command. Here are the steps:

1. Open a command prompt with administrator user rights (Run as Administrator).

2. To Install .NET Framework 3.5 feature files from Windows Update, use the following command:

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All

3. On Windows 10 PCs, after installation .NET Framework 3.5 is displayed as enabled in Turn Windows features on or off in Control Panel.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Marilou Ser, May 11, 2016
  4. Attempting to enable .net framework and Dism does nothing

Upgrade usually cause problems, you better do a clean install or at least reset.

How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC - Windows Help

You could try those command, in this order, maybe they will help.

chkdsk /scan
    fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:
    Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    sfc /scannow
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    winmgmt /salvagerepositorycleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

TairikuOkami, May 11, 2016
  5. Bowiie Win User
    Sorry poor choice of words on my part, it was a fresh install on a just out of the box SSD.

Following your commands chkdsk returns no errors and as soon as I put in the Dism command same problem occurs.

Attempting to enable .net framework and Dism does nothing [​IMG]

Bowiie, May 11, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    AskVG is usually reliable:
    http://www.askvg.com/fix-cant-install-microsoft-net-framework-3-5-in-windows-8-and-later/

otherwise:

Cant install .net 3.5 on Windows 10 - Super User
    Have you tried the first answer here?

Clearly this is an issue that has affected a few - reports from Win 8 on at least. But it's not one I've seen on tenforums yet..

This (about Win 8.1) may suggest a way forward with respect to Windows 10 updates already installed.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1649b4f?auth=1

dalchina, May 12, 2016
  7. JohnC Win User
    JohnC, May 12, 2016
  8. Bowiie Win User

So after much digging through pretty much everything I've found what may be the problem. I saw in one of the links some mentioned using the Add a Feature option under Optional features, so I tried that, but when I click on Add a Feature it shifts fo a screen with the header Optional Features and a loading icon below it and stays there. I had also read where someone mentioned that there is a group policy that may block me from enabling features, and that if I could disable that policy then it might work.

Well I've run into yet another problem (isn't that how this goes) namely that I have the home version of Win 10 so no group policy editor, of course. I looked online and found a download for the policy editor which I grabbed and tried to install, but wouldn't you know it, it requires .net framework 3.5....and we've come full circle.

Also I tried the different Dism structure and same thing happened, which is nothing.

Question now being would I have that policy even being on a home version? If so any idea how I could find it in the registry, because I don't have a way to get gpedit going at this time.

Bowiie, May 12, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, May 12, 2016
  10. Bowiie Win User
    Thats where I was when I said I tried it earlier. When you download and run the installer it tells you it requires .net framework 3.5 so I can't really do that.

Bowiie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Attempting to enable .net framework and Dism does nothing - Similar Threads - Attempting enable net

2. .NET Framework error spam while .NET Framework is clearly enabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .NET Framework error spam while .NET Framework is clearly enabled: For some reason, all of my software started spamming me that NET Framework isn't installed. OK. I tried to install net framework from official microsoft. It does say Successful on Net Framework installers but the software still do not work. Error is from one of the software I...
  3. .NET Framework error spam while .NET Framework is clearly enabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .NET Framework error spam while .NET Framework is clearly enabled: For some reason, all of my software started spamming me that NET Framework isn't installed. OK. I tried to install net framework from official microsoft. It does say Successful on Net Framework installers but the software still do not work. Error is from one of the software I...
  4. .net framework windows 10 offline installer with dism...error.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    .net framework windows 10 offline installer with dism...error.: [ATTACH] If you've got a Windows 10 installation USB, plug it in and let's assume it's the E drive Go to "E:\sources\sxs", a file in this location with name: "microsoft-windows-netfx3-ondemand-package.cab". It should be around 70mb in size Copy and paste it into...
  5. Net Framework Enable/Disabling problems.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Net Framework Enable/Disabling problems.: HiI'm trying to enable NET Framework 3.5 on my PC but when I try to enable it I get the error code 0x80073712.Here are the things I have tried.https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-enable-net-framework-3-5-on-windows-10https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/0x80073712.html...
  6. Can't enable .NET Framework 3.5

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't enable .NET Framework 3.5: When I try to enable .NET Framework 3.5 from the control panel , I get the error with the code 0x8000FFFF on Windows 10.Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-enable-net-framework-35/4255346d-23de-49e0-8638-131065ff1a1b
  7. Can't enable .NET Framework

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't enable .NET Framework: [ATTACH] Where is .NET Framework 3.5 or .NET Framework 4.8? Doesn't Windows 10 already come with .NET Framework 4.6? I ticked those 4 boxes with .NET in them, restarted my PC, but when I open Turn Windows features on or off again, all those boxes are unticked. Any...
  8. Unable to enable .NET Framework

Unable to enable .NET Framework: I am not able to Run some exe files on my windows Error I am getting when I run those exe files: Filename.exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error To run this application, you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework: v4.0 Contact your...
  9. Enabling .net framework 4.5

Enabling .net framework 4.5: I'm trying to download Microsoft Teams, as we'll be using it for work shortly. I keep getting this BLOCKED message: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is already a part of this operating system, but it is currently turned off. To enable the .NET Framework 4.5, use Turn Windows...
  10. Unable to enable .NET Framework

Unable to enable .NET Framework: I need to use NetFramework 4.0 for a program ScanSpeeder. I have tried selecting it in Windows Features, but everytime it becomes unchecked. If I try to install a fresh download of NetFramework, I get an error message saying it is already installed and I need to turn it on in...