Windows 10: Attempting to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll)

Discus and support Attempting to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; A couple weeks ago, my computer crashed while running MS Excel. After rebooting, I wasn't able to save the recovered files. A window would pop up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Satchitbananda, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Attempting to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll)

A couple weeks ago, my computer crashed while running MS Excel. After rebooting, I wasn't able to save the recovered files. A window would pop up saying it's trying to connect with "C:\Users\satchitbanada" but, for some reason it wasn't connecting.

When I opened file explorer, I could browse through my documents, pictures, etc., but when I click "This PC" the loading bar keeps loading endlessly and never connects with the contents of "This PC"

Another strange symptom was that, when I reboot my computer and login, a window always pops up saying "You are attempting to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll)

Luckily, the problem mostly fixed itself after a half dozen reboots. When "This PC" was loading in the file explorer, after a minute or two it suddenly found what it was looking for and all the files appeared. After that, I could save things in Excel again.

I am however still concerned about the problem, since the "You are attempting to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll) always pops up whenever I reboot.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Should I just reinstall Windows?

submitted by /u/Satchitbananda
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Satchitbananda, Nov 23, 2020
  2. Robert11 Win User

Opening A .dll file ?

Hello,

I have a file that the installation process for a new program says to open and verify if some
    box is checked.

Whenever i click on it, i get:

"You are attempting to open a file of type "System File (.dll)" etc.

There is a greyed out box at the bottom that says "OK", but it is greyed out.

How can i open it, to verify that the box is checked.
    Tried most everything i could think of.

Thanks,
    Bob

Robert11, Nov 23, 2020
  3. *.dll files associated with other file in Windows7

Yes the icon. No instability noticed at all, however I still can't get my "gadgets" to work, and they have a .dll file.

TechnicalFreak, Nov 23, 2020
  4. Sasqui Win User

Attempting to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll)

*.dll files associated with other file in Windows7

Are you talking about the icon for .dll files?

They are usually tied to a specific executable through the registry... have you been tweeking your system, or noticed any instability lately, pointing to memory or HDD data corruption?

Sasqui, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

Attempting to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll)

1. Attempting to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll) - Similar Threads - Attempting open file

2. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll: I wrote a Visual studio solution and then made an installed copy of it when I run the application this error appears every time. How can I fix it?...
  3. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll: I wrote a Visual studio solution and then made an installed copy of it when I run the application this error appears every time. How can I fix it?...
  4. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll: For the past couple of days, I am getting an error message every time I switch on my Laptop. It says: "you are attempting to open a file of type 'system file' .dll".I looked up the solution on Google and I came across this answer by Barb Bowman.I did what she said but it...
  5. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll: For the past couple of days, I am getting an error message every time I switch on my Laptop. It says: "you are attempting to open a file of type 'system file' .dll".I looked up the solution on Google and I came across this answer by Barb Bowman.I did what she said but it...
  6. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. System 32 dll file problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System 32 dll file problem: I tried to get into a file folder but came across a corrupt file message. The laptop then tried to "repair the hard drive" twice although it might have been stage 1 and stage 2. I've re-set Windows three times and added all my Apps back on 3 times. I've gone through Windows...
  8. You are attempting to open a file of type Application extension .dll

in Windows 10 Customization
    You are attempting to open a file of type Application extension .dll: Each time I log on to my PC a message pops up that says "You are attempting to open a file of type Application extension .dll". It then asks me to choose a program to launch the file, but then doesn't attempt to open anything, and only opens "Settings" saying one of my...
  9. Corrupt system .dll file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt system .dll file: Hello. When I run sfc /scannow it returns that there are corrupt files that are unavailable to be fixed, however when I checked the log by using the command to create a sfcdetails.txt file on the desktop I don't see any specific files that need to be replaced. The reason I am...
  10. Opening A .dll file ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening A .dll file ?: Hello, I have a file that the installation process for a new program says to open and verify if some box is checked. Whenever i click on it, i get: "You are attempting to open a file of type "System File (.dll)" etc. There is a greyed out box at the bottom that says "OK",...