Windows 10: Attempting to uninstall linux dual boot, but when I try to restore Win10 bootloader, it...

Discus and support Attempting to uninstall linux dual boot, but when I try to restore Win10 bootloader, it... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, so I had a linux distro on my computer for a while, but I decided to get rid of it this morning because it was a shared computer and everyone else... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JackCampbell5, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Attempting to uninstall linux dual boot, but when I try to restore Win10 bootloader, it...

Hey, so I had a linux distro on my computer for a while, but I decided to get rid of it this morning because it was a shared computer and everyone else who used it having to select Windows from a menu every time it booted up was getting to them. The online guide I used said to create a system recovery drive (which I did) and then go to command prompt from the options given to you by booting from there. However, when I open the command prompt, it immediately throws an error saying "Not enough memory resources are available to process this command", and then proceeds to not run any commands.

Do you guys have any idea what's going on here? (My thoughts are that the system is only accessing the usb drive memory, but I probably don't know what I'm talking about)

Hope to hear from you guys soon,

Jack

:)

JackCampbell5, Dec 30, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

How do I restore w10 bootloader? dual boot with ubuntu on separate hdd

@whatitdo6
    By default most Linux distros install its Linux Boot Loader (GRUB) and Basically replacing the Boot loader for Windows, so GRUB handles boot loading for both Windows and Linux.The whole EFI System partition was modified, You cannot just create a new BCD and expect it to work, you'd need to rebuild the whole EFI System partition.

You don't need to re-install Windows. Here's what I suggest you to do:
    1. Download my copy of EFI System Partition, use 7-zip to unzip and save it some where , the file name is: EFI_System-00-00.mrimg
      EFI_System.7z - Google Drive
    2. Boot up the ISO file downloaded from post #11 and run Macrium, click on restore tab and browse to select the file in step 1 as the source (EFI_System-00-00.mrimg)
    3. Select your current Windows SSD as destination disk, (1)click on the 100MB EFI System partition, (2)click "Delete Existing Partition" (3)Drag and drop the "EFI System partition"(3) as shown in the screen shot. Click Finish to restore the new "EFI System Partition"

Attempting to uninstall linux dual boot, but when I try to restore Win10 bootloader, it... [​IMG]
    4. IMPORTANT: From top left corner, click on "Fix the Windows Boot Problems"
    5. Reboot

topgundcp, Dec 30, 2018
  3. Avocado Win User
    How do I restore w10 bootloader? dual boot with ubuntu on separate hdd

diskpart
    list volume (note the volume letter where the Windows 10 is installed)
    exit

bcdboot x:\windows (replace "x" with the volume letter of the Windows 10 partition)

For example, bcdboot c:\windows or bcdboot d:\windows

If the volume letter is incorrect, you will receive the following error message: Failure when attempting to copy boot files.

-OR-

You need to boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI mode (marked UEFI in the boot menu), if Windows is installed in UEFI mode. If you using the wrong mode, you will receive the following error message: Failure when attempting to copy boot files. (see screenshot below)

diskpart
    list volume (note the volume letter where the Windows 10 is installed)
    exit

bcdboot x:\windows (replace "x" with the volume letter of the Windows 10 partition)

Attempting to uninstall linux dual boot, but when I try to restore Win10 bootloader, it... [​IMG]

EDIT: Look at post #24

Avocado, Dec 30, 2018
  4. Attempting to uninstall linux dual boot, but when I try to restore Win10 bootloader, it...

Dual Boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint

Remember that for any more than four Primary Partitions, you'll need to convert one to Logical which can then have as many Logical sub-partitions as you want. Do not force more than four Primary or the disk will convert to Dynamic which becomes a serious
    problem.

As to the optimal way to Dual Boot with Linux I would ensure that you use the advanced options and load grub to the Actual Linux Partition, rather than the active partition, and use EasyBCD to add the grub loader to the Windows Bootloader.

EasyBCD (click Download - no Name or Email required)

With an MBR disk this excellent tutorial would apply even though it's for
    Dual Boot - Windows 7 and Linux

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Dec 30, 2018
Thema:

Attempting to uninstall linux dual boot, but when I try to restore Win10 bootloader, it...

1. Attempting to uninstall linux dual boot, but when I try to restore Win10 bootloader, it... - Similar Threads - Attempting uninstall linux

2. Restricting Network Access on Win10/Linux Dual Boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restricting Network Access on Win10/Linux Dual Boot: Hello,I Am Ketan Mehta Owner Of Petromet Inc I have a PC with Windows 10 and Kubuntu Linux dual boot.The machine is connected to my DSL router via LAN cable. No Wifi hardware installed.I like Windows to have no internet connection at all. Linux should be able to connect...
  3. Broken Windows 10 MBR bootloader after failed linux dual-boot installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Broken Windows 10 MBR bootloader after failed linux dual-boot installation: Bit of backstory: I have an old Dell Inspiron n5001 laptop and decided to install Manjaro linux after a while on a spare hdd laying around plugged in the cd/dvd reader slot using adapter. I flash my usb with the gui installer, thinking it would be easier than cli....
  4. I am trying to uninstall Linux dual boot on my computer, but when entering the command...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I am trying to uninstall Linux dual boot on my computer, but when entering the command...: submitted by /u/Milesprovus [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/exvf5w/i_am_trying_to_uninstall_linux_dual_boot_on_my/
  5. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot with linux: only linux boot: Hello, Well I'll sum up what I did so far: I had ubuntu + windows 10, was working fine but ubuntu was taking too much space on my drive. Deleted ubuntu partitions, gave the space back to windows, boot into the windows usb drive to perform the bootrec /fixmbr,fixboot...
  6. Uninstall Linux dual boot

Uninstall Linux dual boot: Hello everyone ! I first want to mention thant english is not my first language, so, sorry if I make mistakes and am not clear enough ! I just received a second hand computer with windows10 and linux installed on it. The person I got it to told me it would be easy to get...
  7. Trying to uninstall Linux from Dual Boot, still gets stuck at Grub

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Trying to uninstall Linux from Dual Boot, still gets stuck at Grub: I have followed the instructions over at think geek for uninstalling Linux and have run the bootsec.exe /fixmbr... but on startup it still is getting stuck at the minimal Grub menu. Do I need to also remove the first partition (seen in pic) all the way to the left, the 260 MB...
  8. How do I restore w10 bootloader? dual boot with ubuntu on separate hdd

How do I restore w10 bootloader? dual boot with ubuntu on separate hdd: So I am looking to REMOVE ubuntu, but right now, my system uses Grub to boot into windows or ubuntu. Ubuntu is installed on a hdd, w10 installed on a ssd. I BELIEVE that they are both efi installs (cannot remember which way I did it) because both disks are GPT format. On...
  9. dual-boot Linux

dual-boot Linux: I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1), and I'm considering setting it up to dual-boot Linux. I just had a look at the HD with Disk Management, and Lenovo has created 6 partitions (C, D, and 4 hidden partitions). Can I get further help here, or is...
  10. Safely dual booting linux without corrupting Win. bootloader? (UEFI)

in Windows 10 Support
    Safely dual booting linux without corrupting Win. bootloader? (UEFI): So for the last 4 years I have played with linux installs on and off. But something I ALWAYS encounter, is when I eventually get tired of linux (from not being able to play my games), during the removal process I always screw up my bootloader then struggle to fix it. Is there...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dual windows 8 with diskpart by CMD