Windows 10: Attempting Win7Pro to win10 upgrade Win10 insistists on HOME not PRO

Discus and support Attempting Win7Pro to win10 upgrade Win10 insistists on HOME not PRO in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Have here DELL XPS 8900 running Win7 Pro for several years. When I bought the XPS8900 it had Win10 Home installed. For several reasons I bought a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by woodwalter, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Attempting Win7Pro to win10 upgrade Win10 insistists on HOME not PRO

Have here DELL XPS 8900 running Win7 Pro for several years. When I bought the XPS8900 it had Win10 Home installed. For several reasons I bought a retail Win7 Pro and did a clean install on the system back then. Now I want to try Win 10 again, but win 10 PRO. I downloaded the Win10 and created the USB drive on a stick. Now when I attempt the upgrade, first it tells me I cannot keep 'My Personal Files and Apps' because I'm installing a different version. After a bout the 3rd try I told it to go ahead with the install with 'Keep personal files only" Then It tells me it is installing Win 10 HOME. I'm running Win7 PRO. It is activated and has been running for years. What do I need to do to get Win 10 Pro to install!

:)

woodwalter, Jan 12, 2020
  2. Phone Man Win User

Attempting Win7Pro to win10 upgrade Win10 insistists on HOME not PRO

If you are now running Windows 10 Home you can use your Windows 7 Pro key to upgrade to Pro. Just go to Settings - Activation and at the bottom you can enter your Windows 7 Pro key and it will update to Pro. All the files are there and this will activate the Pro version.

Attempting Win7Pro to win10 upgrade Win10 insistists on HOME not PRO [​IMG]

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Jan 12, 2020
  3. Attempting Win7Pro to win10 upgrade Win10 insistists on HOME not PRO

Thanks all for your responses! I basicly did what Kari suggested, with a slightly different EI.CFG file:
    [EditionID]

Professional

[Channel]
    Retail

I placed the Ei.cfg and the pid.txt files in the \Sources folder in my USB Win10 install media. Now I'm up and running Win10 PRO!!

Thanks much guys for all of your help! Now all I need to do is to figure out how to make Win 10 work like I want it to!

Thanks Again!

Walt

woodwalter, Jan 12, 2020
  4. Attempting Win7Pro to win10 upgrade Win10 insistists on HOME not PRO

Have here DELL XPS 8900 running Win7 Pro for several years. When I bought the XPS8900 it had Win10 Home installed. For several reasons I bought a retail Win7 Pro and did a clean install on the system back then. Now I want to try Win 10 again, but win 10 PRO. I downloaded the Win10 and created the USB drive on a stick. Now when I attempt the upgrade, first it tells me I cannot keep 'My Personal Files and Apps' because I'm installing a different version. After a bout the 3rd try I told it to go ahead with the install with 'Keep personal files only" Then It tells me it is installing Win 10 HOME. I'm running Win7 PRO. It is activated and has been running for years. What do I need to do to get Win 10 Pro to install!

woodwalter, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Attempting Win7Pro to win10 upgrade Win10 insistists on HOME not PRO - Similar Threads - Attempting Win7Pro win10

2. WIn10 Home to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIn10 Home to Win10 Pro: We had activated copy of Win10 Home, paid for the upgrade to download Win10 Pro, and what was downloaded was Win10 Enterprise which I can not activate. The activation error is not having a valid digital license or product key. How do I get Win10 Pro which I paid for and get...
  3. win10 pro upgrade from win10 home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 pro upgrade from win10 home: I'm upgrading my home edition to pro which I have done before with other win10 home pc's, don't need or want the hassle of a new install. I got a win10 pro, its the full pkg, with an install cd. first I did the change key with the generic win 10 pro key, reboot, and then...
  4. Upgrade from Win10 Home to Win10 Pro

Upgrade from Win10 Home to Win10 Pro: I just completed an upgrade from Win10 Home to Pro. I paid $99 to do this.Everything seemed to be going well, but right at the end, the upgrade terminated giving me an error 0X80070005. My PC was "frozen," so I rebooted.On the reboot, the system went through several rounds of...
  5. Upgrade rom Win10 home to Win10 pro

Upgrade rom Win10 home to Win10 pro: Hi all, Does all apps remaining on the upgraded computer when doing the upgrade? It's very important because I use software that needs machine codes in cloud to use. Otherwise I have to ask new machine codes to my software vendors. It would be great that these apps still...
  6. Win10 Home to Win10 Pro

Win10 Home to Win10 Pro: I cannot access the original restore point to go back to Win10 Home when I put in a DVD restore. It is dated March 29. 2020. I was fiddling around with WSL 2 and I wanted to try out Win10 Pro as a possibility to fix my issues. Now, I just want my email, browser and OS...
  7. Upgrade win10 home to win10 pro

Upgrade win10 home to win10 pro: I'm trying to upgrade my win10 home to pro but I'm stuck. The steps taken are below: 1. I disconnected my internet-connection. 2. I went to systems->"Update&Security" -> Activation -> "Change Product Key" 3. I entered the generic key "VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T" and the...
  8. Win10 Home S mode upgrade to win10 pro

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Win10 Home S mode upgrade to win10 pro: Hi All, I am trying to upgrade my Windows Tablet running Win10 Home S Mode to Win 10Pro. The path to do this upgrade is via Settings/ Update & Security/ Activation. Once in here you choose the Win Store, but Win store does not want to open. Any suggestions on how I can...
  9. Upgrading OEM Win10 Home to MSDN Win10 Pro

Upgrading OEM Win10 Home to MSDN Win10 Pro: Moving to a new PC that I'm building myself. Currently running Dell OEM Win10 Home. New PC will have Win10 Pro, MSDN (multi-activation or retail keys) version. My backup software can do a "system transfer" that will allow me to transfer everything (OS and applications) to...
  10. Upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro: Recently I have replaced my Win 8.1 Home edition with a Win 10 Home edition. (64-bit) Now I would like to upgrade Win10 Home to a Win10 Pro Edition. How do I do that and what will it cost me? 31154