Windows 10: Audacity and recording "What U Hear"

Discus and support Audacity and recording "What U Hear" in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When previously on WIN 7 Pro 64 bit I was able to record with Audacity what ever was coming out the speakers using the "What U Hear" feature of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AjayK47, Sep 20, 2015.

1. AjayK47 Win User

Audacity and recording "What U Hear"

When previously on WIN 7 Pro 64 bit I was able to record with Audacity what ever was coming out the speakers using the "What U Hear" feature of my sound card (Creative PCIe X-Fi Titanium).

Having upgraded and subsequently a clean install of WIN 10 Pro 64 bit this no longer works. I have downloaded the latest Creative driver for the sound card (which shows correctly in Device Manager) right clicking the sound icon in System Tray and selecting "What U Hear" as default recording device same within Audacity itself.

I have noticed that within Control Panel - Devices and Printers that "What U Hear" actually shows up as a device and I don't recall this being the case with WIN 7. If I right click on this icon - Properties - Hardware - Properties - Driver it shows as a Windows Driver rather than Creative. Could this be the problem.

Anyone else having problems with Audacity and WIN 10 and specifically recording "What U Hear"?

:)

AjayK47, Sep 20, 2015
  2. Rivergoat Win User

Record what you hear. WINDOWS 10

Fascinating, because I have been using Audacity with no problems in Windows 10. I have done a "record what you hear" perfectly.

Perhaps you have an older version of Audacity.

Rivergoat, Sep 20, 2015
  3. Record what you hear. WINDOWS 10

I have upgraded to Windows 10 and now I am not able to record what I hear on Audacity, any answers please. The system says that no recording device is present.

French Terry, Sep 20, 2015
  4. fireberd Win User

This must be specific to Creative. I have Realtek and "Stereo Mix" but its working properly. I just tested it with Audacity and working properly. Stereo Mix does not show up as a device.

fireberd, Sep 20, 2015
  5. AjayK47 Win User
    I have partially solved the problem. The Creative Software Update Tool was not detecting the Windows 10 driver. Went to the Creative web-site and found the correct driver and record "What U Hear" in Audacity worked fine.

I then rebooted the computer and it didn't worked again. It seems that on reboot a Windows Driver is taking priority over the Creative one and I have to reinstall the Creative one again.

Is there anyway to stop WIN 10 doing this. I appreciate this should probably now be in the drivers thread of this forum but for consistency did not want to start a new post but will if necessary.

AjayK47, Sep 20, 2015
  6. fireberd Win User
    There is still a problem with the Creative driver. Windows, when it starts is detecting it as a "new device" and not finding the Creative Driver so it installs its generic "High Definition Audio" driver.

Is the Creative driver supposed to be Win 10, or at least Win 8.1 compatible? A Win 8 or Win 7 driver may not work.

fireberd, Sep 21, 2015
  7. AjayK47 Win User
    The Creative driver is specifically for WIN 10. Do you know of any way to prevent this problem from happening?

Help much appreciated.

AjayK47, Sep 21, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

I have exactly the same sound card as yours and I don't have any problem recording thru "What U Hear" with Audacity.
    Yes, it might be related because mine shown as Creative.

Audacity and recording "What U Hear" [​IMG]

There's is a slight problem with Creative driver. Try to disable Enhancements from: Playback devices->Speakers->Properties.

If you have this option unchecked then sometimes you'll lose the sound. If that's the case, open Device Manager->Sounds, video...->Creative SB X-Fi, just disable it then re-enable again.

Here's my test with Audacity:

topgundcp, Sep 21, 2015
  9. AjayK47 Win User
    Many thanks for all this help. Not quite sorted the problem yet but still experimenting.

AjayK47, Sep 22, 2015
  10. Have a look here, it solved my problem regardless driver, hidden mixer availability etc. Just in Audacity.

Best regards!

architectul, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Audacity and recording "What U Hear" - Similar Threads - Audacity recording Hear

2. Audacity Won't Record After Latest Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Audacity Won't Record After Latest Upgrade: Since the latest upgrade, Audacity 3.0.0, their latest will not record. Using Windows 10. My older laptop would record just fine, but today, Windows upgraded and it won't work. I had asked the Audacity forum for help, and they pointed their finger at Microsoft. I know I can't...
  3. Audacity . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Audacity . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro. I'm trying to install, Audacity. But, it's very confusing! I can't find it. After installation? I looked in, x86 program files? I've looked, everywhere.? I even looked. In the Control Panel. To see, if it was listed....
  4. Recording on Windows 10 w/ Audacity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recording on Windows 10 w/ Audacity: I'm a songwriter in Norman Oklahoma & need assistance recording on Windows 10 desk top thru webcam mic. Audacity will be the source of recording. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks, Tim Wilson https://youtu.be/7GRJe6w_rgY...
  5. Why can I record video on Win10, but can't hear the audio portion of what I've recorded?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why can I record video on Win10, but can't hear the audio portion of what I've recorded?: I used to use screen capture apps like VideoPad and Loom on my PC with Windows 10 Pro frequently. But now, I can record and play back the video, but not the audio. This is mysterious because I can record audio (I use Audacity )and play it back and also listen to audio and...
  6. Recording "What U Hear" not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recording "What U Hear" not working.: I am unable to record any audio to my PC. I have tried multiple programs that record from the sound card. What U hear option is listed in settings, but not working. I have tried everything I know adjusting settings uninstalling the sound card driver and software, cleaning...
  7. Recording level in Audacity using Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recording level in Audacity using Windows 10 Pro: Hello, I've recently updated to the newest free download of Audacity using Windows 10 Pro. Everything works in the software with exception that the record level adjuster doesn't do anything when moving it around. Not sure if making some changes on the presets in Audacity...
  8. Recorded sound volume is much lower than what I can hear during recording

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recorded sound volume is much lower than what I can hear during recording: When I'm using my monitor as a playback device via NVidia HD Audio (HDMI) the recorded sound is much quieter than what I'm hearing during recording. If I switch playback to Realtek HD Audio (motherboard's 3.5 mm plugs) recorded volume is just fine. On Windows 7 I had no such...
  9. Alternatives to Audacity

Alternatives to Audacity: ​​Any good free audio editors that will work with Windows 10? I basically just need a decent sound recorder. Thanks​ 19114
  10. What's the Right Way To Uninstall Audacity

What's the Right Way To Uninstall Audacity: My upgrade to 10 has gone pretty well so far. The only problem is that Audacity audio editor (2.0.6) won't work ("Internal PortAudio error"/"program not supported.") I want to uninstall it, but it's not recognized by Windows 10 "Uninstall Programs." What's the best way...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what u hear recorder