Windows 10: Audio and Video Stop Working After Sleep Mode

Discus and support Audio and Video Stop Working After Sleep Mode in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have been experiencing an extremely annoying issue for the past few weeks that has finally bothered me enough to warrant a post. Every night I put... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Slippers1, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Slippers1 Win User

Audio and Video Stop Working After Sleep Mode

I have been experiencing an extremely annoying issue for the past few weeks that has finally bothered me enough to warrant a post.

Every night I put my computer to sleep and wake it up the next day. Upon waking up, the computer no longer plays any videos or any audio Both online such as YouTube and offline audio/video files. This happens about 80% of the time. More recently, my mouse has been intermittently not detected. The entire problem is "resolved" with a quick restart of the computer, but I am getting frustrated with having to do this almost daily.

Additionally, my wireless headphones somehow disconnect from Windows. I don't mean lose signal, I mean that Windows no longer detects the device until I re-plug in the receiver. So on the rare occasions where the above issue does not happen, I often need to re-plug my receiver for the headphones to work anyway.

This sounds like a driver or service issue to me but I am not knowledgeable enough to know for sure. I have Google'd and read about the possible fix being a restart of the Windows Audio, AudioEndpointBuilder, and Audiosrv services. I have tried this with no success.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any possible troubleshooting suggestions that I can try?

I am running Windows 10, version 20H2.

Thank you all very much for you help and time.

-Steven

:)

Slippers1, Feb 25, 2021

2. audio stopped working, windows 10

upgraded to windows 10 by reservation few days ago... compatibility test result was fine... audio stopped working all of a sudden... tried upgrading the driver software in device manager
    but in vain... also tried these methods suggested by Microsoft help community... but the audio is still not working, neither speakers nor headphones

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the Playing Audio troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Playing Audio.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.

Method 2:

If there no updated drivers available on the computer manufacturer’s website, then try installing it in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows. Follow these steps to install the drivers
    in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Download the audio driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘Properties’.
    • Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done,
      restart the computer and check if the issue persists

gomo_vivek, Feb 25, 2021
  3. rtbt Win User
    Windows 10: SLEEP MODE suddenly stopped working

Hi Michael:

Appreciate the advice, but for unknown reasons, the problem is resolved.

• As I stated before, Sleep Mode worked fairly reliable for at least 2 years.
    • I made no changes to my settings and about 3 days ago it stopped working.
    • Even after multiple reboots, sleep mode would not operate properly for the past 3 days.
    • About 2 hours after I uploaded my post, Sleep Mode started working perfectly.
      Why? I didn't change anything.

These are the kinds of software issues which drive me crazy. I didn't make any changes to the system and Sleep Mode stopped working for 3 days. I didn't make any changes to the system, yet after 3 days, Sleep Mode is once again working properly.

How does one explain this type of bizarre result?

4. RobCaine Win User

Audio/Video Problem after Idle but not sleep mode.

So strange thing has been happening since the first time I installed win 10 months ago. Please keep in mind I have done multiple fresh installs since then and I have re-installed audio/video drivers with different versions a few times now.

Whenever I let my computer idle for 10 minutes or more the sound stops working and video is bugged when I get back. In 3D apps the frame rate is almost nil and in video I get distorted picture but it plays. All audio is gone and cortana can't hear me.

During this issue all devices are showing as working properly in device manager even with a hardware refresh.

My default audio output is HDMI through my amd graphics card and I first though ok it is audio and video so graphics card issue right? But cortana can't hear me either and my audio input device is plugged in analog through my onboard motherboard audio. So
    it's not just the graphics card failing here.

Also note that when the computer successfully goes into sleep mode (20 mins at my current setting) it is fine when it comes back. I often use sleep mode instead of restart because it's faster for me to fix this issue.

This is something I just ignored but it annoyed me enough today to post this. Anyone have any idea?

RobCaine, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Audio and Video Stop Working After Sleep Mode - Similar Threads - Audio Video Stop

2. Windows 10 Sleep Mode stopped working after Cumulative Update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Sleep Mode stopped working after Cumulative Update.: I have a Windows 10 Desktop system, and a while back, just after one of the Microsoft Cumulative Updates, my Sleep Mode stopped working, and in-spite of checking and rechecking settings, I cannot get it to function correctly. I have been hoping that the newer updates from...
  3. Windows 10 Sleep Mode stopped working after Cumulative Update.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Sleep Mode stopped working after Cumulative Update.: I have a Windows 10 Desktop system, and a while back, just after one of the Microsoft Cumulative Updates, my Sleep Mode stopped working, and in-spite of checking and rechecking settings, I cannot get it to function correctly. I have been hoping that the newer updates from...
  4. Windows 10 Sleep Mode stopped working after Cumulative Update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Sleep mode has stopped working on Windows10

Sleep mode has stopped working on Windows10: 3 weeksago I had a crash problem in the laptop product name Sony laptop SVS15136PGB. The system did not recover after an automatic restart. After that thelaptop was repaired by a professional and it was found during repairing thatthe problem was caused by a faulty disk. The...
  6. Video and Audio Will Not Play After Compter Wakes from Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Video and Audio Will Not Play After Compter Wakes from Sleep Mode: When my brand new Windows 10 laptop goes into sleep mode, usually videos and audio files will not play unless I restart the computer. Is there something else I can do to fix this problem without wasting time on a restart? Videos will not play on YouTube or Facebook or other...
  7. Video/audio don't work after waking up from sleep mode.

Video/audio don't work after waking up from sleep mode.: I recently installed a new ssd into an old laptop and then installed a fresh copy of Windows 10. Just in the last few days (I think it wasn't like this at first) my system loses the ability to play video or audio after waking up from sleep mode. If I restart the system,...
  8. Touchpad stops working after sleep mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad stops working after sleep mode: After my Lenovo Windows 10 laptop wakes up from sleep mode, the touchpad doesn't work. The touchpad enable button won't work, the touchpad only functioning after I restart my laptop. I already updated my drivers and reinstalled them....
  9. Video and Audio Stops Working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Video and Audio Stops Working: After only a few short videos or if I pause and restart a couple of times, videos and audio will not work anymore. I have to reboot and if I'm lucky I can watch a video. This has been going on for months and seems to be getting worse. I am taking online classes and I need to...
  10. Sleep mode not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep mode not working: A week ago stopped working from my normal 3 minute setting. The screen turns off after 3 min, pc remains on, but I have to push the start/shut off button to get the monitor on again. Can't think of what software I might have added that could cause this. My Phoenix BIOS...