Windows 10: Audio breaking when monitor/PC sleeps

Discus and support Audio breaking when monitor/PC sleeps in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Every time my monitor sleeps (or the PC, of course) the audio breaks and I either have to restart the PC (not ideal because I always have lots of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PR87, Jan 21, 2021.

1. PR87 Win User

Audio breaking when monitor/PC sleeps

Every time my monitor sleeps (or the PC, of course) the audio breaks and I either have to restart the PC (not ideal because I always have lots of Chrome tabs open I need to keep) or use the virtual assistant helper (normal Troubleshoot doesn't help) in Windows to reinstall the audio driver which takes 5mins each time.

I have been using the same PC for >5 years and had no problem until recently. The audio is into the monitor (HP Envy 32 - older model) through the graphics card (AMD W8100), the tower is a HP Z440. Drivers are up to date for all.

I cannot think what is causing this but I would like to allow my monitor and PC to sleep to save energy so just leaving everything on isn't ideal, which I have been doing for a while. I am on Windows 10 Pro version 2004, OS build 19041.746

:)

2. geomazo Win User

Audio Sleep and

Just an updating and some finding.
    First of all: the Audio enhancer software DFX is not part of the problem.
    The problem rests with HDMI audio of a monitor TV Samsumg after sleep. The Audio service is not resumed after sleep. Before the upgrading to Win 8.1. in the same computer the resumption odf audio was regular. As now, audio restart after rebooting or i have to turn off the monitor tv before sleep, a kind of annoyance.

Any suggestion?

geomazo, Jan 21, 2021
  3. How To Change Monitor Audio To Motherboard Audio

Hi Saurav,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Do you want to use your external speakers for the audio instead of the monitor speakers?
    2. Are you hearing the audio both from your external speakers and the monitor speakers?

Meanwhile, you may try the below steps to change the playback device and check if this helps.

1. Select on the Start button > Type Sound in the search box > Select
      Sound from the list of results.
    2. Go to Playback tab > Select your Sound System Device that you want to hear the audio from > Then click on
      Set Default.
    3. Restart the computer once and check if this helps.

We're looking forward to your response.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jan 21, 2021
  4. RRP17 Win User

All desktop windows are move/push-over to Main display after waking-up from sleep mode

I'm happy to find these as work-around, very helpful at least to my systems scenario.

All my desktop windows retained the exact location in both built-in and external monitor, before and after Sleep mode.

Step 1. Press the below keys before the computer turn to sleep mode

(typically, this is prior to leaving my computer for a break)

• Windows logo key + M

Step 2. Press the below keys after signing back or activating from sleep mode

• Windows logo key + Shift + M

RRP17, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Audio breaking when monitor/PC sleeps - Similar Threads - Audio breaking monitor

2. PC restarts when playing games, audio drivers break

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC restarts when playing games, audio drivers break: Over the past couple days I've been running into an issue where when playing games my pc will randomly restart. When it comes back on, the audio drivers break and my wired headphones are no longer detected. I have to reinstall my audio driver to fix it. I did that just now...
  3. PC restarts when playing games, audio drivers break

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC restarts when playing games, audio drivers break: Over the past couple days I've been running into an issue where when playing games my pc will randomly restart. When it comes back on, the audio drivers break and my wired headphones are no longer detected. I have to reinstall my audio driver to fix it. I did that just now...
  4. PC restarts when playing games, audio drivers break

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Audio breaks when using Bluetooth on w11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio breaks when using Bluetooth on w11: Lately im having issues with w11 where I can't keep my headphones conencted to Bluetooth or somehow the sound is breaking. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-breaks-when-using-bluetooth-on-w11/1853c42b-5341-4884-bb63-a1ef7b6e0a09
  6. Monitor goes to sleep when when I lock PC!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor goes to sleep when when I lock PC!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,When I lock my PC my pressing Windows key+L PC locks and goes to login screen but my monitor goes to sleep less than 1 minuter. Is there any option to extend time for sleep? Help!...
  7. Monitor goes to sleep when when I lock PC!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor goes to sleep when when I lock PC!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,When I lock my PC my pressing Windows key+L PC locks and goes to login screen but my monitor goes to sleep less than 1 minuter. Is there any option to extend time for sleep? Help!...
  8. Monitor goes to sleep when when I lock PC!

9. Windows breaks audio when audio enhancements are toggled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows breaks audio when audio enhancements are toggled: This is a bit of a long one so I will try to explain as best I can.I have recently built and entirely new computer a few months ago and with it I have a ROG Strix B550-A Gaming motherboard. For the first month or so of using the computer I've noticed no real issues with audio...
  10. Windows breaks audio when audio enhancements are toggled

Windows breaks audio when audio enhancements are toggled: This is a bit of a long one so I will try to explain as best I can.I have recently built and entirely new computer a few months ago and with it I have a ROG Strix B550-A Gaming motherboard. For the first month or so of using the computer I've noticed no real issues with audio...