Windows 10: Audio Device Switching

Discus and support Audio Device Switching in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This is a problem I haven't found by searching, although the search terms are a bit tricky for this issue. Since upgrading from Windows 7, I have not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Calego, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Calego Win User

Audio Device Switching

This is a problem I haven't found by searching, although the search terms are a bit tricky for this issue. Since upgrading from Windows 7, I have not been able to find an easy way to switch between audio devices easily on Windows 10. What I'm trying to do is switch between my system speakers and headphones. The only way I can find to do this is to right-click the speakers icon in the taskbar, select playback devices, right-click either "speakers" or "headphones" and select "Set As Default Device." From then on, all sounds are routed to that device. But I have to do this every time I want to switch between headphones and speakers. I think on Windows 7 there was a way to route all sounds through BOTH speakers AND headphones. I could then just use the physical device's switches to control where the sound comes from. I haven't found a way to do this on Windows 10. Am I the only one with this problem? Or the only one who hasn't figured it out? I haven't been able to find anyone else complaining about it. *Huh

:)

Calego, Sep 26, 2015

2. Problems switching audio devices

Hi toiren,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

To understand the issue better, I would like to know what is the make and model of the computer?

I appreciate the steps you have perform, let’s try simple methods and check if this helps.

Method 1.

I would suggest you to run sound audio troubleshooter, it will automatically detect the problem and fix it. Follow the below method.

• Press Windows key + R and click on
      Control Panel

• Click on View by: category and click on
      Small icon.

• Now click on troubleshooting and click on
      Hardware and Sound.

• Click on Playing Audio and Click on Next button.
    If the issue still persist, try the below method:

Method 2.

I suggest you to update the audio driver and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device manager
    • Now click on Audio input and outputs and right click on it and
      update the software.
    If the issue still persist, I recommend you to go to the computer manufacturer website and download the latest updated sound adapter for Windows 10 and install the same. If the available driver is not for Windows 10 try installing the
    driver in compatibility mode.

• Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.

• Select Compatibility tab.

• Check Run this program in Compatibility mode.

• Let the driver install and then check the functionality.
    And also visit the below link for No sound in Windows (Steps applies to Windows 10).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Hope this helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Sep 26, 2015
  3. Toiren Win User
    Problems switching audio devices

I have recently been having a problem where I have to reset programs in order for them to switch between putting out sound between my speakers or my headphones. I was not having this problem until a few days ago and despite my best efforts I cannot figure
    out how to fix it. It is extremely inconvenient needing to reset a game in order to get the sound to go through my speakers and then reset it again to go back to my headphones. I've already tried re-installing the drivers and using third party programs but
    nothing seems to be fixing my issue. Does anybody know what the cause or a solution might be?

Toiren, Sep 26, 2015
  4. altae Win User

Audio Device Switching

It'd certainly help if you told us what sound device we are talking about. With some sound cards you can choose between speakers and headphones in the driver settings. Others don't offer such a setting.

altae, Sep 26, 2015
  5. Calego Win User
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It's the integrated sound on my motherboard which is a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3. I downloaded the audio drivers from the website and re-installed but there is no change. It is a RealTek device. There doesn't seem to be a separate application to control sound levels, etc. It's all done through Windows.

Calego, Sep 26, 2015
  6. altae Win User
    Have you tried the drivers by realtek? It has been a long time since I last used an integrated sound solution but I remember there being some kind of driver software too. It should appear as an icon in the notification area.

altae, Oct 3, 2015
  7. fireberd Win User
    I have Realtek and no problem when I plug in Analog headphones. If you are using USB headset then the USB headset is not being properly detected. If USB, do you have a driver for it? USB devices do not use the PC's sound card, they take digital audio and convert it inside the headset.

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Audio Device Switching

1. Audio Device Switching - Similar Threads - Audio Device Switching

2. Rapid Switching Between Audio Devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rapid Switching Between Audio Devices: I use an Audiobox USB audio interface for recording music but when I plug it in to my brand new laptop, it freaks out and rapidly switches between the audio interface and the built-in sound system, making the computer basically useless until I unplug it.The interface works...
  3. Rapid Switching Between Audio Devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rapid Switching Between Audio Devices: I use an Audiobox USB audio interface for recording music but when I plug it in to my brand new laptop, it freaks out and rapidly switches between the audio interface and the built-in sound system, making the computer basically useless until I unplug it.The interface works...
  4. Audio Output keeps on switching devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Output keeps on switching devices: I recently bought an earphone which can be connected only through USB Type-C to my Laptop W10 yet everytime I plug it in, the Audio Output just keeps switching from Speaker Mode to Earphone. No error message, it just keeps switching and only get fixed once I removed the...
  5. Audio Device Keeps switching back and forth

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio Device Keeps switching back and forth: I've had this problem for a day or 2, it's frustrating. Whenever I launch sound options, or something similar to sound then my audio devices go crazy. If you click the sound slider thing, you can select an output device there. Mine just keeps switching between Speakers and...
  6. Programs not switching audio devices when I switch the audio device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs not switching audio devices when I switch the audio device: My Setup: Dual monitors with integrated speakers and a headset I plug/unplug frequently. Issue: On my desktop computer, when I open a program with sound, the sound loads into the audio device that is currently being used, but when I switch the playback device (either to the...
  7. Audio keeps switching to device that doesn't exist

Audio keeps switching to device that doesn't exist: My audio output keeps switching itself to a device called "Headset Earphone 2- XBOX_360_DEVICE _00:01." The problem is that this device does not exist. I have no idea where my PC thinks this device is attached at. If I don't play any audio for a while, the device goes away,...
  8. Unable to switch between Bluetooth audio devices

Unable to switch between Bluetooth audio devices: Hi, I just installed a csr dongle on my machine. I had no trouble finding and pairing both my Jabra earphones and a Sony speaker. The problem now is that I can't find a way to switch between the two. Only the Jabra earphones which were paired first work. The Sony speaker is...
  9. Is Cortana able to switch Audio Playback device?

in Cortana
    Is Cortana able to switch Audio Playback device?: Hi! So I am running with Cortana for a half a year or so and it's an amazing experience, she is super helpful. But I ran into one little detail devs could fix add new Feature if there is not such a feature implemented already. I may be running old build. Imagine that you...
  10. Quick audio devices switch problem

Quick audio devices switch problem: l mean this tool: [ATTACH] Problem is, devices what l choosed in current User Profile - chooses for entire machine (PC). Thus when PC starts use other person with it own profile and for example it prefer play sound from Speakers, this choose saves for everyone's else User...