Windows 10: Audio driver quickly fading in whenever a new sound starts

Discus and support Audio driver quickly fading in whenever a new sound starts in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm going to contact Dell to see if they can help me resolve my problem. However, if the problem I'm facing is too difficult for Dell to solve... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BlindPiper, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Audio driver quickly fading in whenever a new sound starts

I'm going to contact Dell to see if they can help me resolve my problem. However, if the problem I'm facing is too difficult for Dell to solve themselves, I'll at least ask them to tell me what brand of soundchip that is integrated within the motherboard, so that I'll be able to contact the maker of the soundchip. I'm sure they'll be able to resolve this problem since they live for making this stuff.

BlindPiper, Oct 27, 2017

2. @dalchina: What do you mean by FCu or CU? *Confused

BlindPiper, Oct 27, 2017
  3. dalchina New Member
    Hi, sorry, abreviations commonly used here (to save typing!) for
    Build 1703 - or 15063 - the Creator's Upgrade - or update (CU)
    Build 1709 - or 16299- the Fall Creator's Upgrade - or update (FCU)

1709 is the current one, recently released.

dalchina, Oct 28, 2017
  4. Audio driver quickly fading in whenever a new sound starts

Hello BlindPiper and others. BlindPiper, I'll be sending you a private message shortly so we can discuss this further if you like. Hopefully you'll get it.
    I recently updated to Windows 10 1709 and have the same problem as described in this thread. But I think I can clear some things up.

While I am also blind, I don't rely heavily on sounds. It's very possible that I miss the fade-ins during normal operation. I do a lot of audio editing though in a program called Gold Wave, and it is there that I notice the fade-ins every time I start playback. As Blind Piper said, it turns clicks into dull thumps, which for serious audio editing is unacceptable, as clicks commonly happen if you perform bad edits.

What I have discovered over the last couple weeks I've had this problem is that you are likely doing little good throwing away your computer or getting a USB sound card. This appears to be something with Wasapi (the main framework Windows has used since Vista IIRC to manage audio). Apparently the fade-ins happen when the device opens, and occasionally a fade-out will happen when the device is closed though I've only had that happen to me in one specific case which I can't reproduce.

The reason I am confident that this is Wasapi and not anything sound card related is that I've tried this across three computers with three different sound cards. One of those sound cards was a Realtech, the other was an IDT Audio card, and the third was a USB plug-and-play sound card. In addition the computer with the IDT Audio card is still using the generic Microsoft HD audio drivers because I never got around to installing the IDT drivers.

With virtually every configuration I was able to test or have other people test for me, the fade-ins did not happen on Win10 1607, and they only started in 1709 (we couldn't test 1703 so I can't tell you how the situation was there). In addition, they all started doing the fades when using Gold Wave set to Wasapi as the audio system, and when Gold Wave was switched to Direct Sound, the fades went away. So I conclude that unless I am totally running in the wrong direction, this is a Wasapi thing. I've seen sound cards do weird things similar to this, but if this particular case was a sound card or driver issue, I would've figured that out by now. I've posted this on the Gold Wave forums.

I have not tested other applications such as Jaws, and as I say, I don't heavily rely on sounds. The fades are not noticeable during day-to-day use for me, or if they are noticeable, they are slight. I will perhaps do some testing later with screen readers and different audio applications to see where the fades happen. I've been told that Reaper (an audio workstation) strangeley doens't have this problem on Wasapi, but I think it may also keep the device open much more often. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I'll do some more testing soon and report my findings.

Hopefully a cause and solution can be known soon!

musicalman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Audio driver quickly fading in whenever a new sound starts

1. Audio driver quickly fading in whenever a new sound starts - Similar Threads - Audio driver quickly

2. Faded Icon in Start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Faded Icon in Start: I pinned a web page to the start and although 99% of the time it's fine,sometimes the icon becomes invisible or extremely fade. The web page opens if I click on it.No other pins are ok.James...
  3. Faded Icon in Start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Faded Icon in Start: I pinned a web page to the start and although 99% of the time it's fine,sometimes the icon becomes invisible or extremely fade. The web page opens if I click on it.No other pins are ok.James...
  4. Fading Sound [SOLVED]

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fading Sound [SOLVED]: The issue is that the sound slowly fades out when something quiet is played on the computer. e.g. Watching a really quiet video will have all sound fade out. This persists until something loud happens like someone speaking on Discord or me myself muting or unmuting myself....
  5. Fading Sound

Fading Sound: The issue is that the sound slowly fades out when something quiet is played on the computer. e.g. Watching a really quiet video will have all sound fade out. This persists until something loud happens like someone speaking on Discord or me myself muting or unmuting myself....
  6. Fading audio volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fading audio volume: HP ENVY, running Windows 10, speaker starts off low in volume then quickly fades down to almost inaudible point. the audio jack works fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fading-audio-volume/e48092b9-df06-475a-9a69-6c0935356633
  7. Audio Fades In Every Time I Play A Sound

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio Fades In Every Time I Play A Sound: Whenever I play a video or audio file on my computer, the audio fades in about a second after I hit play. This started happening after I updated my PC a couple of days ago. Can't find the fix. I've tried many things. Anyone else having the same iddue? submitted by...
  8. Audio fades to silence

Audio fades to silence: If I need audio of any kind Zoom meeting, video playback, the audio starts fine but fades to silence within a minute or so. All the "troubleshooting" options I've been provided with do nothing but note that some of those instructions are too 'tech' for me to understand....
  9. Start menu fade

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start menu fade: Sometimes when I click on the start menu it displays the A-Z list but, it will show it as if there is a shade on the list? if I then click on it again, everything is alright. I have 6 computers and all have windows 10 but this particular machine is the only one that does...
  10. Sound Fading In and Out as New Sounds are Introduced

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sound Fading In and Out as New Sounds are Introduced: Hey there guys- new to this forum, but something has been bugging me beyond belief since I upgraded to Windows 10. My audio fades out whenever a new sound is introduced. As an example- I'll be listening to Spotify (loudly) and the moment I get a Facebook message (ding!)...