Windows 10: Audio: I barely hear voices, mostly ambient sound!

Discus and support Audio: I barely hear voices, mostly ambient sound! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello!So yesterday I suddenly started to no longer hear voices in videos/music on Windows 10. They are very quiet and sound distroted/metallic. Ambient... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PinataF, Jul 26, 2021.

1. PinataF Win User

Audio: I barely hear voices, mostly ambient sound!

Hello!So yesterday I suddenly started to no longer hear voices in videos/music on Windows 10. They are very quiet and sound distroted/metallic. Ambient sound seems to be fine. I tried front and rear headphone jacks and used two different pairs of headphones, it's always the same issue. I will add some images of my sound setup, maybe you can help. I'm using Realtek drivers already reinstalled them and tried to set everything to stereo sound.I think it's very weird that for the last image it shows me sliders for the different colored audio inputs, might Windows taking my stereo headphones as 5

:)

PinataF, Jul 26, 2021
  2. RajithR Win User

Cortana not hearing voice commands

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on the Microsoft Communities.

1. Are you able to hear other sounds from your computer?

2. Does the microphone work with other apps such as Skype?

3. Have you tried using "Learn my voice" settings?

Kindly, follow these steps and check if that helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check if she talks. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to Settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Method 2:

I suggest you to run the Recording Audio
    troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Recording Audio.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

RajithR, Jul 26, 2021
  3. Cortana not hearing voice commands

Hi

I have the same problem and the proposed solutions have not helped.

Will appreciate any other solution to this problem.

NJInokotong, Jul 26, 2021
  4. Tohuw Win User

Can't hear other programs' sound when using Bluetooth headsets with voice chat applications on Windows 10

This happens on both my Windows 10 systems, a late 2012 iMac and a custom-built PC using an ASRock Z170 motherboard and an Insignia Bluetooth dongle.

When using either Discord or Mumble and either Apple AirPods or a Bose QuietComfort 35 headset, I cannot hear sound from any other application unless I set the output device to the "Hands-Free Device" instead of the "Stereo Headphones" device.

The problem with that is the "Hands-Free Device" has only one sound quality option, 8 KHz, which is nowhere near the 44.1 KHz default of the "Stereo Headphones" output device. When I select the "Stereo Headphones" device the sound is great, until I open either of the mentioned voice chat applications, whereupon I can't hear anything until I close that program. Also, my mic does not work unless I re-set the communications device or default device to the hands-free option. If I set the hands-free device as the communications device, everything in the voice chat app works, but no other program has any sound.

I believe this is because the "Hands-Free" and "Stereo Headphones" devices are two separate Bluetooth services, and the Hands-Free device is activated whenever the voice chat is engaged, and remains that way until the "call" is over. I realize the "Communications" tab in the sound control panel is supposed to fix this sort of thing, but it changes nothing in this scenario.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I've read the suggestions in this post, which I just discovered, and none of that works:

• Removing the Hands-Free Telephony service removes the mic.
    • Changing the "Exclusive Mode" setting on any playback or recording device does not resolve the problem. Sometimes it does temporarily, then it reverts back to the problem described above within 5 minutes or so.
    • Disabling audio enhancements does nothing.

Tohuw, Jul 26, 2021
Thema:

1. Audio: I barely hear voices, mostly ambient sound! - Similar Threads - Audio barely hear

2. I hear the background audio only but not the people's or actor's voice . This usually...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I hear the background audio only but not the people's or actor's voice . This usually...: I was watching a series and i just finished an episode , that's when the background works but the characters or people's voice , i can't hear them, the sound of the people's voice is not loud enough, even when i put my volume to max. Help please....
  3. I hear the background audio only but not the people's or actor's voice . This usually...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I hear the background audio only but not the people's or actor's voice . This usually...: I was watching a series and i just finished an episode , that's when the background works but the characters or people's voice , i can't hear them, the sound of the people's voice is not loud enough, even when i put my volume to max. Help please....
  4. sound, when watching movies/shows/youtube i can hear background sounds but i can't hear voices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sound, when watching movies/shows/youtube i can hear background sounds but i can't hear voices: I was watching a movie and in the middle of the movie i just heared background noices but i couldnt hear any voices. i tried to change my speakers and changed some settings but nothing worked. Can someone please help me....
  5. sound, when watching movies/shows/youtube i can hear background sounds but i can't hear voices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sound, when watching movies/shows/youtube i can hear background sounds but i can't hear voices: I was watching a movie and in the middle of the movie i just heared background noices but i couldnt hear any voices. i tried to change my speakers and changed some settings but nothing worked. Can someone please help me....
  6. All audio lowers when hearing a voice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All audio lowers when hearing a voice: Hi, I'm sure other people have asked this question before, but every time I'm playing a game or watching youtube , everytime someone would talk, all background audio would lower itself. For example, if im playing overwatch and someone says "Hi" or something, all background...
  7. I can hear my system audio in voice recordings and calls

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can hear my system audio in voice recordings and calls: I was in a call with my friend and they said they could hear my gameplay. I used the voice recorder later and I can still hear system audio. Even when my headset volume is low I can hear it. Are there certain settings I need to change? Or does this have to do with my...
  8. My audio sounds like it is underwater, and I can't hear ANY voices.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My audio sounds like it is underwater, and I can't hear ANY voices.: I can't hear any voices, period. I listen to a youtube video, I can hear the music, even though it sounds like it's under water, but I can't hear any voices whatsoever. I have updated my drivers, Reinstalled the drivers, reset my pc, nothing works....
  9. hearing robotic voice

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    hearing robotic voice: I was playing a video game earlier today and i heard this text to speech voice saying “or underscore said turn it off” I tried running mccaffee and it said no viruses, my narrator was off, and my discord notifications were off along with text to speech. If you guys have any...
  10. Audio appears to work, but I hear no sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio appears to work, but I hear no sound: Audio appears to work, but I hear no sound. The volume mixer shows when there is sound, but no sound comes out of speakers. When I look at sound, I can test the speakers and they work. But when I changes the Intel Display Audio to the speakers, there is nothing. I can...