Windows 10: Audio Interface Crackling/Latency Despite Low CPU usage

Discus and support Audio Interface Crackling/Latency Despite Low CPU usage in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Recently upgraded my PC parts including a shift from Windows 7 to 10. I am now experience audio crackling/latency issues. This primarily affects my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PonyboyOnline, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Audio Interface Crackling/Latency Despite Low CPU usage

Recently upgraded my PC parts including a shift from Windows 7 to 10. I am now experience audio crackling/latency issues. This primarily affects my music production software, but it also noticed during regular Windows usage like when listening to mp3s or YouTube videos and such. In the music production software, these issues are normally caused by the CPU being under too much load in other cases, but in my case using external programs I can see that my CPU is running well below 40% load on all cores with temps being cool and all clock speeds being up to par. Despite most of the issues being experienced in the music software, I do believe this is an issue with my PC as a whole. So I've tried pretty much every Windows troubleshooting step google/YouTube has to offer: Windows power settings, no fast start up, no sleep when inactive modes, device manager settings, different USB ports, removing all other audio drivers, etc...Now the default Realtek audio works fine with no issue for regular Windows tasks including gaming. But I cannot compare its performance when using the music production software as it is naturally supposed to perform worse than the audio interface ASIO driver. I will list hardware below for troubleshooting

CPU: i9-9900k

Motherboard: Z390 Aorus Pro

RAM: 32gb

Audio Interface: Scarett 2i2 1st gen also tried 3rd gen use Scarlett ASIO driver when in music software

Production software: FL Studio 20

:)

PonyboyOnline, Mar 23, 2020

2. High DPC Latency with System Audio Through Audio Interface.

All of my system audio is running through the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 USB 2.0 audio interface.

While running PreSonus Studio One v3.5 (Digital Audio Workstation software), and while playing back an existing mix, the audio plays back at a slow, fluctuating rate. At best the audio is playing at 90% normal speed with a high amount of popping and crackling.
    At worst, that audio is playing around 50% normal speed with an extreme amount of digital artifacting, and the audio sounds smeared and unlistenable. The CPU performance meter in Studio One reports an overload state, while the Windows Task Manager reports
    only 14% CPU usage. Studio One also reports the latency from my interface as 42.7 ms. There was nothing else running, aside from the normal background processes from other applications I have installed, at the time of the test.

Outside of Studio One, other system audio from web browsers and games exhibits pops and cracks to a lesser degree, but are still significant. However there is no fluctuation of playback speed, in this case.

LatencyMon reports that USBPORT.SYS, ndis.sys, nvldddmkm.sys, and dxgkrnl.sys all exhibit overly long execution times (these are the top four listed in the Drivers tab, sorted by highest execution time). USBPORT.SYS had a maximum execution time of 17648.650833
    µs.

Here's is the link to my Windows Performance Recorder results. I followed the instructions in the appropriate Wiki on this.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B-cgllIt-nprckRtZWxOaXhZdWc

Hope you all can help me out! Go Internet!

Audiophile42, Mar 23, 2020
  3. CFLAGS Win User
    Realtek HD Audio latency leading to crackling sounds from the speakers

I have a problem with the Realtek HD Audio speakers driver. Everytime a sound is about to be play, the speakers of the laptop make a crackling sound, similar to the sound of static electricity.

I am using Windows 10 and have the latest version of the Realtek HD Audio driver.

I ran the Latencymon v 6.50 to check for latencies, and I get the following result:

"Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one problem appears to be network related. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates."

These results appear to be spot-on, however I'm surprised it mentions that at least one problem is network related, since I have the latest network drivers, and even when disabling the network adapters I still get the crackling sound.

I reckon the CPU throttling mentioned is related to the CPU exectution cap which I already set to 100%.

The other thing I need to mention is that this is a new laptop, and from the first day, even with the old drivers I noticed the crackling sound, and I assumed it would go away after I updated the drivers. I have all the newest drivers and I still get this problem.

The funny thing is that when I plug-in the laptop, it somehow does not give the crackling sound, but when I approach my ear to the speakers, I hear that they are on, even when nothing is playing ( I know because they emit some kind of barely distinguishable white noise). When the laptop is not plugged in however the speakers make the crackling noise before playing sound, and when they finish playing the sounds, the speakers go off ( when I approach my ear the white noise isn't heard anymore).

Notice that the crackling sound is heard only once: after I click on some audio to play; then the crackling disappears, only to appear when I got to the next song ( or audio file).

What do you suggest I do about it? In the beginning I thought it was a hardware problem, but given the fact that during playback the speakers do not exhibit any weird behavior, I am led to believe it is a drivers' problem.

CFLAGS, Mar 23, 2020
  4. Audio Interface Crackling/Latency Despite Low CPU usage

High CPU usage of audiodg.exe and sound crackles.

Hi

I am using Windows 10 Creators Update (OS Build 15063.13) on DELL 5378 2-in-1 notebook. I tried all above steps , uninstall / reinstall etc. Realtek Audio Driver version is 6.0.1.8029 (Latest from DELL / Windows Update )

Issues

1. Sound Crackles (even in headphone)

2. audiodg.exe is taking 4-7% CPU when any music file is played.

Due to above high CPU use (even when all audio enhancement disabled), my Laptop heats up quickly and CPU usage remains always high.

Same music played on my another dell laptop with realtek HD driver running windows 7 shows ~0% CPU Use.

Akhilesh

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

AkhileshDwivedi, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

Audio Interface Crackling/Latency Despite Low CPU usage

1. Audio Interface Crackling/Latency Despite Low CPU usage - Similar Threads - Audio Interface Crackling

2. CPU usage Low

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU usage Low: My laptop suddenly so laggy, when I check out the task manager I realized the CPU usage is so low, what should I do? I already tried to edit in power plan but it didn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-usage-low/04f852c0-a5b4-46e8-8a72-d49b37b8a220
  3. CPU usage Low

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU usage Low: My laptop suddenly so laggy, when I check out the task manager I realized the CPU usage is so low, what should I do? I already tried to edit in power plan but it didn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-usage-low/04f852c0-a5b4-46e8-8a72-d49b37b8a220
  4. Crackling Headphone Audio at Low Levels

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Crackling Headphone Audio at Low Levels: Hi there, I'm not quite sure if this is an issue with my device or with Windows 11, so if this should be on the HP forum then I apologize. I am also slightly unsure what topic this fits into, so I've just put it into devices and drivers.Recently I got a new laptop, an HP Omen...
  5. Windows 11 Audio Crackling when CPU usage is high

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Audio Crackling when CPU usage is high: System:CPU: Intel i5-12400fMB: MSI PRO B660-A DDR4GPU: Intel Arc A770RAM: 16GB G-Skill 3200MHzPSU: Corsair CX650MCPU Fan: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SEOS: Windows 11Hi everyone, i have a problem with my recent build. I upgraded my MB and CPU recently, aswell as...
  6. Windows 11 Audio Crackling when CPU usage is high

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Audio Crackling when CPU usage is high: System:CPU: Intel i5-12400fMB: MSI PRO B660-A DDR4GPU: Intel Arc A770RAM: 16GB G-Skill 3200MHzPSU: Corsair CX650MCPU Fan: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SEOS: Windows 11Hi everyone, i have a problem with my recent build. I upgraded my MB and CPU recently, aswell as...
  7. Audio Crackling/Popping and DPC Latency Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Crackling/Popping and DPC Latency Issues: Hi, I seem to get Audio Crackling and Popping issues, after searching the web for a bit I noticed that this issue is generally tied to DPC Latency so I used LatencyMon to recorded for around 2 hours (stats below). In my case it doesn't seem to happen immediately after...
  8. Audio Crackling/Popping and DPC Latency Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Audio Crackling/Popping and DPC Latency Issues: Hi, I seem to get Audio Crackling and Popping issues, after searching the web for a bit I noticed that this issue is generally tied to DPC Latency so I used LatencyMon to recorded for around 2 hours (stats below). In my case it doesn't seem to happen immediately after...
  9. Pops and crackling in audio when using audio interface.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Pops and crackling in audio when using audio interface.: Hello. I'm experiencing pops and crackling when using an audio interface in my laptop. The interface is theAudient iD14, and I believe it's not a hardware problem with it, because it works perfectly well in my home's PC same cable used, same headphones, etc.. The audio...
  10. Audio crackling, lagging - high latency issue?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Audio crackling, lagging - high latency issue?: This problem started on my original install of windows 10, about a year after buying my laptop. The audio would start popping and crackling. At first in was only system sounds that would do this, but recently it started happening with everything. Then the audio started to...