Windows 10: Audio issues - microphone in Skype and Teams app not working but working fine in brower app

Discus and support Audio issues - microphone in Skype and Teams app not working but working fine in brower app in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My built-in microphone is working fine when I use Skype or Teams through the browser but doesn't work when I use the apps for Skype or Teams. What... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TinaHue, Oct 8, 2020.

1. TinaHue Win User

Audio issues - microphone in Skype and Teams app not working but working fine in brower app

My built-in microphone is working fine when I use Skype or Teams through the browser but doesn't work when I use the apps for Skype or Teams.

What setting do I need to change?

:)

TinaHue, Oct 8, 2020

2. Microphone can only work in half of the apps depending on driver

Similar issue happened to me. E.g. Telegram, Battle.net not working while Skype and others were working.
    You will notice that the apps that are nor working somehow are online apps that needs internet connection.
    And even if the apps worked perfectly online, except audio/voice/microphone, the issue was still related with an antivirus firewall.
    I was able to solve the issue by disabling McAfee Endpoint Security Firewall. Windows Defender Firewall was not really helpfull. If you are inside a domain network, there is probably related with the policy settings for the antivirus firewall.
    And yes, the fact that the apps are perfectly working online except the audio/voice/microphone which is caused by an antivirus/firewall/domain policy it is really strange.

JollyRoger, Oct 8, 2020
  3. Naveen_M Win User
    Audio recording settings / microphone settings on skype not working

Hi Bill,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

There is an option ‘Automatically adjust microphone settings’ in Skype. Try adjusting Skype sound in the application by following the below steps:

a. Open Skype.

b. Navigate to Tools > Options > Audio Settings > Microphone.

c. Select the default device.

d. Uncheck the ‘Automatically adjust microphone settings’.

Also, I suggest you to adjust Skype sound in the control panel to fix the recording issues. You can do this by following the below steps:

a. Open ‘Control panel’.

b. Select ‘Sounds and Audio Devices’.

c. Click on ‘Playback’ tab.

d. Verify that nothing is set to mute.

e. Verify that microphone is checked under the ‘Recording’ tab.

Try updating Skype, if any update is available. Please follow the above steps and get back if the issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Naveen M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Naveen_M, Oct 8, 2020
  4. Audio issues - microphone in Skype and Teams app not working but working fine in brower app

Skype "can't access sound card" for microphone

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the microphone on Skype. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

We appreciate your time spent in resolving the issue.

• Do let us know if you have made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Which version of Skype have you installed on your computer?

As a workaround, I suggest you to check if there are any updates for the Skype app in Windows Store. If so, try to install the updates and check if it helps.

Also, I recommend you to check with the settings in Skype app.

Step 1: Check configuration in Skype

Normally, you will receive the message about recording device error, if the microphone or the webcam is not configured properly in Skype.

To check configuration:

• Open Skype and navigate to tools
    • Click options and check for sound device.

Step 2: Verify in the recording tab if the Microphone is enabled and working.

To check:

• Click Start, click Control Panel
    • Click Soundand click Audio.

Hope it helps. Update us the status with the error message on Skype for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 8, 2020
Thema:

Audio issues - microphone in Skype and Teams app not working but working fine in brower app

1. Audio issues - microphone in Skype and Teams app not working but working fine in brower app - Similar Threads - Audio issues microphone

2. Microphone is not working in apps.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone is not working in apps.: I noticed that my microphone is not recording any sound in apps though mic access permission is on for those apps. I tested the mic in setting and it's fine. Mic only working in chrome. I reset sound and audio driver to fix the problem but it didn't solve . What can i do it...
  3. Microphone is not working in apps.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone is not working in apps.: I noticed that my microphone is not recording any sound in apps though mic access permission is on for those apps. I tested the mic in setting and it's fine. Mic only working in chrome. I reset sound and audio driver to fix the problem but it didn't solve . What can i do it...
  4. Webcam - not working with Mircosoft Apps - teams/skype/camera

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Webcam - not working with Mircosoft Apps - teams/skype/camera: I can see the camera HP Webcam HD2300 in the device manager. the software is up to date. When I open zoom settings the camera is working. However, when I make zoom calls the camera is not working. This started happening yesterday in Teams and it affects everything. I...
  5. Microphone will not work in skype

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone will not work in skype: Hello, I am unable to talk to anyone thru skype. I have re-installed skype software and I am still unable to use it thru skype. The microphone shows it is working when I test it. I have a HP ENvy x360 Convertible Signature Edition. Windows 10 home Version 1903 Installed...
  6. Microphone working but not in apps??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone working but not in apps??: So my microphone isn't working in apps but is working on the pc (can see the grey bar going up and down in settings). The driver is up to date and the access is allowed in the apps. The device in the apps is set to the correct microphone and the settings for mic is 100%. I...
  7. Teams and Skype is Not Detecting Built in Camera Although Camera Apps Works fine on HP X360...

Teams and Skype is Not Detecting Built in Camera Although Camera Apps Works fine on HP X360...: Hello, We have been facing issue with Teams and Skype Camera. Teams and Skype is Not Detecting Built in Camera Although Camera Apps Works fine. Settings : 1.Camera - Privacy - Allow Apps for your camera is turned on. 2 . Camera - Privacy - Allow Desktop apps to uses...
  8. skype microphone not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    skype microphone not working: the other person cant hear me on skype l checked echo sounds and microphone is not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/skype-microphone-not-working/132f0462-eb8f-4190-9bdf-26f57c8bd8e8
  9. Skype microphone not working

Skype microphone not working: Hi, my wife's laptop has a problem with microphone when using Skype. She can hear the other person but they cannot hear her. a box came up that stated possible problem with driver. I checked driver (working correctly), I restarted laptop still no joy. I uninstalled Skype,...
  10. SKYPE for Linux working fine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    SKYPE for Linux working fine: Hi folks Those of you using Linux that have .RPM package managers (Red Hat, Centos, Opensuse, Fedora) or .DEB (ubuntu etc) Binaries are available for SKYPE for Linux and provided your microphone and/or webcams work it's fine and interface looks just like the Classic Skype...