Windows 10: Audio louder than usual until volume is changed

Discus and support Audio louder than usual until volume is changed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm not 100% sure, but it is something worth giving a shot as it solved the problem on my end *Wink The reason why I am not totally sure is because, as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by itsmesbb, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Audio louder than usual until volume is changed

OK, Andrei, so I uninstalled my Realtek audio driver again, rebooted, then clicked on your zip file, which downloaded, then apparently unzipped itself, because it nothing ended up in my Download folder, and I do have audio, but it's low quality (no MaxxAudio), I don't see an AudioWizard, and I have a folder hierarchy in Explorer under Drivers>Audio>75R6V>Vista64, which I assume is the unzipped version of what you sent me. Various .exe files exist in the Vista64 folder along with lots of .dll and .inf files. The .exe files don't seem to execute when I click on them, I see no setup.exe. The Vista64 folder DOES have MaxxAudio .dll files, but the Control Panel no longer shows MaxxAudio, so something went wrong. The audio quality is crappy. On the bight side, the volume spikes are gone, I can't force one to occur, and my Sound Lock utility is turned off. So we're getting close. But I want that MaxxAudio great quality. Any suggestions?

DaveTheRave, Oct 27, 2015
  2. spapakons Win User

Uninstall any audio drivers and restart the computer. Then try to install the Reatek driver again. The MaxxAudio should be a Dell component, so not sure if it is installaed with the generic Realtek driver. You may have to install a Dell specific driver. I don't have a Dell computer, so I cannot tell.

spapakons, Oct 27, 2015
  3. Ok! Then let's try one of the OEM drivers. I don't know which model of XPS 27 you have, so it is up to you to choose from one of the following links: here, if you have the Dell XPS 27 2720 version or here if you have the Dell XPS 27 2710 version. Remember to uninstall the previous driver and reboot. Tell us what are the results!

No, MaxxAudio is also included in the generic Realtek driver and gets installed if the hardware supports it. However, OEMs usually customise this piece of software by changing its interface and adding new features, as you know. In my case, Asus didn't customise the driver for my laptop, so the latest generic driver worked well.

andrei9696, Oct 27, 2015
  4. Audio louder than usual until volume is changed

Hi Andrei, I will try your link for my Dell XPS 27 2720 OEM driver today ... but when you say to uninstall the previous driver: My Control Panel says the driver being used now is Windows manufactured and signed, ID'd as 6.3.9600.16384 from the year 2013. So it appears the zip file I downloaded from you never executed. The Realtek HD audio driver I had originally was uninstalled by me from Control Panel, but the current Windows audio driver doesn't appear there, so I don't know how to, or if I should, uninstall that. Also: can or should I delete the Vista64 folders and files created from your zip file?

Thanks for hanging with me. I think we're getting close.
    -- With the Sound Lock utility, the volume spikes were stopped a split second after they were triggered.
    -- With the Windows audio driver I'm now using, no volume spikes occur at all, but the loss of MaxxAudio leaves me with poor audio quality.

5. spapakons Win User
    The driver should be listed in Programs and features as Realtek HD audio driver or similar. In worst case, just try to install the new driver on top. It will detect present driver and suggest to uninstall it, select yes and proceed.

spapakons, Oct 27, 2015
  6. Thanks, spapakons. The Realtek HD audio driver did indeed show among the Programs originally, but I deleted that, and now the Windows audio driver is in control. I'll try reinstalling the Dell version of the Realtek driver later today (and uninstall the Windows driver if so prompted), but since that's what I had when I started, I suspect the audio spikes will return. However, I do think we're close to solving this.

7. OK! I now have full-quality audio and have not been able to reproduce volume spikes on iTunes or YouTube. So it looks like a good fix. Don't want to use too many CAPS and !! because I thought I was here before yet still had issues, but for now, it sounds very good. All I did was download and install the Realtek HD audio driver for my Dell 2720 from the link in your post, Andrei. As far as I can tell, that's the same driver I had originally, so something must have broken, and the reinstall fixed it. So Thanks!

I also deleted all the folders with the Vista64 audio driver files I unzipped from your link. I doubt that it ever installed, but don't want to take a chance with a conflict. Also, after I installed the RealTek audio driver and rebooted, I got a flag from Windows saying my antivirus program had been turned off. So I just turned that back on. I've seen that happen before, don't know why, always wonder if I'm being hacked.

Anyway, thanks again for everybody's patience and help, I think I've got a good fix, but if anything changes, I'll post again. Hope I can help others out in the future as you've helped me.

DaveTheRave, Oct 28, 2015
  8. Audio louder than usual until volume is changed

No problem! I'm glad that that you finally solved your problem. This shouldn't happen again, but you have to be sure that you will not overwrite the current driver with Windows Updates. To do this, just follow this simple guide here. For a better understanding of what this guide does: it disables the automatic driver installation that Windows executed through Windows Updates, which, if not disabled, will update you audio, video, etc. drivers to the last version provided by Microsoft. Have a good day!

andrei9696, Oct 28, 2015
  9. Good tip. I have changed those Windows update settings. And one Day Two, my audio still sounds great, and I still cannot trigger a volume spike in iTunes, YouTube or even the Windows email bong. All is well!

DaveTheRave, Oct 28, 2015
  10. Starry173 Win User
    I have also been getting this audio problem since I upgraded to Windows 10. I noticed another tab under Sound in the control panel called Communications:

Audio louder than usual until volume is changed [​IMG]

I tried setting it to "Do nothing" as you can see here and rebooted the PC and started Spotify backup again, which is where I've been noticing this problem, and the sound worked the way it should. This probably needs more testing. Does this solve the problem, or does it just help under limited conditions?

Starry173, Nov 3, 2015
  11. Starry173 Win User
    Never mind. That didn't help. Tried it again today and had to manipulate the volume to get the volume to a normal level. Just hoping.

Starry173, Nov 4, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    Yes, this setting works when you have a phone or Skype call. It shouldn't help in your case. Another poster solved it buy uninstalling the audio drivers, restarting and reinstalling latest audio drivers. Also hide the relevant updates so they won't get replaced by Windows Update.

spapakons, Nov 4, 2015
  13. Audio louder than usual until volume is changed

Yes, I also clicked that "Do Nothing" box and thought I had solved the issue for a day or two. But the audio spikes came back. After weeks of trying various complicated suggestions, the Final Solution was elegantly simple:
    1. Uninstall your audio driver (in my case, it was a Realtek driver)
    2. Reboot computer
    3. Download and install the latest version of the audio driver for your computer (in my case, it was a Realtek that seemed to be the same version I had deleted; I downloaded it from a link posted by someone in this Forum, Andrei9696. Spapakons and Andrei are very helpful).
    4. Reboot again (just to be sure).

And I have not had a single volume spike since!

DaveTheRave, Nov 4, 2015
  14. spapakons Win User
    Don't forget the most important part: Hide any driver updates to prevent Windows Update replacing the driver again!

spapakons, Nov 4, 2015
  15. Yes, right! I did that as well.

DaveTheRave, Nov 4, 2015
Thema:

Audio louder than usual until volume is changed

1. Audio louder than usual until volume is changed - Similar Threads - Audio louder usual

2. Internet slower than usual

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet slower than usual: I have been facing network issues since the morning. While playing Minecraft, I'm facing a lot of lags that did not happen in the past. Confused, I ran windows network diagnostics, but it couldn't identify the problem. Then I tried troubleshooting the network adapter, didn't...
  3. Audio is a lot quieter than usual

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio is a lot quieter than usual: I normally use some wired earbuds using the headphone jack on the front of my computer, and they work well.I haven't used my computer for almost a month, but when I got back to it, the same wired headphones suddenly were a lot quieter. Before they sounded loud at about a...
  4. Audio is a lot quieter than usual

Audio is a lot quieter than usual: I normally use some wired earbuds using the headphone jack on the front of my computer, and they work well.I haven't used my computer for almost a month, but when I got back to it, the same wired headphones suddenly were a lot quieter. Before they sounded loud at about a...
  5. Audio is a lot quieter than usual

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Background Noise/Music Louder than Voices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Background Noise/Music Louder than Voices: Hi there, When watching a youtube video I noticed that the voices were barely audible and the background music/sounds were unbearably loud. I thought this was just down to their editing, but after checking other videos and devices I noticed it isn't that at all. I hunted for...
  7. Asus X570-Plus Windows 10 Volume Changes Goes Louder

Asus X570-Plus Windows 10 Volume Changes Goes Louder: Hi all, Does anyone happen to know what would cause sounds in Chrome to play much louder then normal at random times? I read into this issue and people pointed the sound and turning off enhancements. I have turned off the enhancements and still the sound alert is louder...
  8. HELP! Custom audio louder than the video audio

HELP! Custom audio louder than the video audio: I am creating a video for my sister's birthday. I am using Video Editor App. It is a mix of photos and personal videos from friends and family. I added a music track using the custom audio everything is great besides in a couple of videos the background music added by me is...
  9. Ethernet slower than usual

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet slower than usual: Recently, I moved my PC to another area and now the ethernet went from 120 mpbs download speed to 30. The router and everything is right next to the PC, but yet the ethernet speed was cut in four. What happened and how do I fix it?...
  10. Sound louder than usual when playing media after pausing.

Sound louder than usual when playing media after pausing.: Kind of a hard problem to explain, but whenever I play anything after pausing it, the sound is randomly VERY loud, but the volume number never changes. For example: my usual listening level with headphones is 8. Say I'm listening to music with iTunes. I pause it for a bit,...