Windows 10: Audio/Microphone settings won't stay set

Discus and support Audio/Microphone settings won't stay set in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My sound and microphone settings will not stay set up and seem to reconfigure randomly.I got a new computer and Windows about a month ago. I set it up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GordonWhite2, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Audio/Microphone settings won't stay set

My sound and microphone settings will not stay set up and seem to reconfigure randomly.I got a new computer and Windows about a month ago. I set it up so that both my speakers and my headset are always active so that if I was using my headset I just turned my speakers off on the units. I updated Windows and it no longer lets me do this at all. My next configuration was to just select playback device for whatever I was doing. I named my devices and configured my microphone and all was well until this evening when i woke my computer up from sleep no reset or update and not only were my de

:)

GordonWhite2, Apr 29, 2021
  2. Naveen_M Win User

Audio recording settings / microphone settings on skype not working

Hi Bill,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

There is an option ‘Automatically adjust microphone settings’ in Skype. Try adjusting Skype sound in the application by following the below steps:

a. Open Skype.

b. Navigate to Tools > Options > Audio Settings > Microphone.

c. Select the default device.

d. Uncheck the ‘Automatically adjust microphone settings’.

Also, I suggest you to adjust Skype sound in the control panel to fix the recording issues. You can do this by following the below steps:

a. Open ‘Control panel’.

b. Select ‘Sounds and Audio Devices’.

c. Click on ‘Playback’ tab.

d. Verify that nothing is set to mute.

e. Verify that microphone is checked under the ‘Recording’ tab.

Try updating Skype, if any update is available. Please follow the above steps and get back if the issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Naveen M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Naveen_M, Apr 29, 2021
  3. Store Settings "Update apps automatically" won`t stay switched off. WHY?

In Settings in Store I set "Update apps automatically" to Off.

When I go back in again it`s set back to On. Why won`t it stay switched Off?

How do I get this stupid **** to DO WHAT I TELL IT and SWITCH OFF?

What`s the point of having a Setting that you can`t Set?

H. G. (En), Apr 29, 2021
  4. Audio/Microphone settings won't stay set

setting up microphone for speech recognition

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are trying to setup speech recognition on the PC.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • When you say that “the box is grey and unresponsive”, where you are seeing this option?
    • Are you able to connect the microphone to the PC? (Does it show in Device Manager)

Meanwhile we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if you are able to setup the microphone.

Steps to set up a microphone: Before you set up Speech Recognition, make sure you've plugged the microphone into your PC so the following steps work.

1. Press Windows + Q or click on the Windows Search.
    2. Enter Set up a microphone in the search box, and then tap or click
      Set up a microphone.
    3. Follow the instructions on the screen.
    4. Once you are able to setup the microphone and then check if it’s working.

You may also refer this article for additional help: Use voice recognition
    in Windows 10

If you are facing issues configuring microphone on your computer, I would suggest you to refer:

Fix microphone problems

Let us know how it goes.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Apr 29, 2021
Thema:

Audio/Microphone settings won't stay set

1. Audio/Microphone settings won't stay set - Similar Threads - Audio Microphone settings

2. "Set time zone automatically" won't stay on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Set time zone automatically" won't stay on: Hi, I'm using Windows 11 on a shared work computer; recently the Microsoft Store failed to install an app, and this forum suggested that enabling "set time zone automatically" might resolve the issue. Initially the setting was greyed out, after enabling location services it...
  3. WINDOWS 10 SETTINGS WON'T STAY OPEN

in Windows 10 Customization
    WINDOWS 10 SETTINGS WON'T STAY OPEN: Good morning - my Windows 10 on my desktop PC opens momentarily & then disappears from the screen so quickly that I can't use it, nor can I check for updates. Can anyone help me, please? Thanks, Geoff Walker...
  4. Advanced Update setting won't stay disabled.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Advanced Update setting won't stay disabled.: The option circled in RED will allow me to turn it off, but then it turns itself, right back on again. [img] Is there a registry setting that will keep this turned OFF. Windows 10 Home 163624
  5. "Settings" window won't stay open

in Windows 10 Support
    "Settings" window won't stay open: The "Settings" window will only stay open for a few seconds - then closes before I can access anything. Help? 161542
  6. bluetooth setting won't stay on

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    bluetooth setting won't stay on: i'm trying to use bluetooth on my pc, and whenever I turn the bluetooth slider to "on" and close the settings tab, it immediately turns off. why is it being stubborn?...
  7. windows settings app won't stay open

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows settings app won't stay open: hi, my windows 10 settings app won't open. Or my specifically, opens momentarily before closing on its own. I hear there is a program fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-settings-app-wont-stay-open/03f2e9b0-43fd-4af6-bb03-5e26fa4028e8
  8. Cortana Switch in Settings won't stay on

in Cortana
    Cortana Switch in Settings won't stay on: When I attempt to turn on the switch in settings so I Can get Cortana to respond when I say "Hey Cortana" will not stay on - when I turn the switch on, it turns on but then turns off immediately. It won't stay turned on ?????...
  9. Audio recording settings / microphone settings on skype not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio recording settings / microphone settings on skype not working: Audio recording settings / microphone settings on skype not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-windows_skype/audio-recording-settings-microphone-settings-on/2e9883fa-6caa-4dab-965b-9d035c6b4faf
  10. Audio recording settings / microphone settings on skype not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio recording settings / microphone settings on skype not working: Audio recording settings / microphone settings on skype not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-windows_skype/audio-recording-settings-microphone-settings-on/1efa3c75-f2a4-4661-90da-26fdbaaa1457