Windows 10: Audio not working after unplugging headphones

Discus and support Audio not working after unplugging headphones in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, my audio works good on speakers and on headphones until I unplug the headphones jack. At that point all the sound stops working. I can't get audio... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by felipemoreno1726, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Audio not working after unplugging headphones

Hi, my audio works good on speakers and on headphones until I unplug the headphones jack. At that point all the sound stops working. I can't get audio from the speakers nor the headphones even if I plug the headphones back . However, I do am able to get audio through Bluetooth. Also audio seems to be working again after the computer goes to sleep and I log back in. I tried the sound troubleshooter but it detects no issues. I also looked at my Registry Keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sound. The Beep Key is set to yes, the Extended Sounds Key is also set to yes, and the Default data value is (value not set).

More on the system, the machine is a Dell XPS15 9560 with Dual Boot Windows10/Ubuntu 18.04 Recently I had the motherboard replaced. After that I had no audio, so I reinstalled the Realtek Audio drivers. After that I was able to get audio to work but now this issue is showing up. I also have a similar issue in the Ubuntu partition. In Ubuntu, audio stops working once I connect the headphones jack.

I think that since this issue shows up on both operating systems, this hints at a potential Hardware related issue? Please advice on how to proceed with a fix.

Thanks.

:)

felipemoreno1726, Oct 5, 2019
  2. Zack_L-P Win User

Extremely bizarre issue where headphones don't work after being unplugged and plugged back in

I was going through your suggestions, until I got to this part. When I got to step 16 on that list (create a new admin user account and see if the problem persists in that account), I tried that suggestion and created a test account. At first, when I plugged
    in my headphones they weren't working (same as my original problem). But then when I unplugged them a Windows notification message popped up in the bottom right, saying something along the lines of "an audio device was disconnected". I plugged my headphones
    back in and got the same kind of windows popup asking what type of device I just plugged in, and I selected the headphone option. After that, the headphones worked fine even when unplugged and plugged back in. Unfortunately, they are only working fine in that
    alternate user account, and not in my normal one.

So I guess that means that the problem lies somewhere in my account settings, but how on earth do I fix it?

Zack_L-P, Oct 5, 2019
  3. Headphones not working and Realtek HD Audio Manager

Hello,

Thank you for updating us on the above issue.

Please reply:

• Did you check if your headphones work on other device?
    • Did you check if your headphone drivers are detected under Device manager?

I suggest you to check if similar issue persists on connecting the same headphones to another computer. If the issue does not persists, I suggest you to check if the headphone drivers are detected under Device manager by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard select
      Device Manager from the options.
    • Expand Audio inputs and outputs option and check if the headphone drivers are visible in the window.
    • Right-click on the headphone driver and select Update this software
      option.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the update to complete.
    • Close the window after the update is complete and check if the changes are effective.

If the headphone drivers are not visible, I suggest you to download and install the latest and most compatible driver software from the device manufacturer’s website and check if the issue is resolved.

Write to us with the status of the above issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 5, 2019
  4. Ivy Mun Win User

Audio not working after unplugging headphones

Speakers and headphones work at the same time

Hi.

Let us isolate your concern by answering these few questions.

• Have you tried connecting your headphones directly to your desktop?
    • Does your speaker work normally when connected to your desktop?
    You may try the following steps to help resolve your concern:

• Unplug or Disconnect your speaker from the desktop.
    • Connect your headphone directly to the desktop.
    If the headphone works properly when directly connected to the desktop, we suggest that you contact your speaker manufacturer for assistance.

Let us know how it goes.

Ivy Mun, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

Audio not working after unplugging headphones

1. Audio not working after unplugging headphones - Similar Threads - Audio working unplugging

2. No audio when headphones are unplugged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio when headphones are unplugged: When I use an audio driver named Realtek High Definition Audio, everything works normal but audio is weird and with too much high frequencies. Songs on my phone sounded way different and better than on my windows 10 computer what I tested while wearing headphones. Audio was...
  3. No audio when headphones are unplugged

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No audio when headphones are unplugged: When I use an audio driver named Realtek High Definition Audio, everything works normal but audio is weird and with too much high frequencies. Songs on my phone sounded way different and better than on my windows 10 computer what I tested while wearing headphones. Audio was...
  4. No audio when headphones are unplugged

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. No audio after unplugging headphones

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio after unplugging headphones: When I use an audio driver named Realtek High Definition Audio, everything works normal but audio is weird and with too much high frequencies. Songs on my phone sounded way different and better than on my windows 10 computer what I tested while wearing headphones. Audio was...
  6. No audio after unplugging headphones

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No audio after unplugging headphones: When I use an audio driver named Realtek High Definition Audio, everything works normal but audio is weird and with too much high frequencies. Songs on my phone sounded way different and better than on my windows 10 computer what I tested while wearing headphones. Audio was...
  7. No audio after unplugging headphones

8. Headphones not working once unplugged

Headphones not working once unplugged: Headphones not working once unplugged. I have to restart every time for it to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/headphones-not-working-once-unplugged/34c0d15c-d259-4de2-800e-f62c75104699
  9. No audio after unplugging headphones

No audio after unplugging headphones: Earlier this year in January I had a major SSD crash, and I was forced to buy a new one and install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on it. After installing Windows, I re-installed all of the drivers recommended by my laptop manufacturer's I have a Razer Blade 15' 2018 from their...
  10. Audio randomly stops working, will work again after plugging and unplugging headphones.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio randomly stops working, will work again after plugging and unplugging headphones.: Pretty much the title. To be clear, I will be listening to a video through my laptop's speakers, without heaphones, then out of nowhere the audio will stop. I've figured out that if I plug in my headphones and then unplug them again, the audio will temporarily come back,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. audio device unplugged windows 10

2. speakers not working after unplugging headset