Windows 10: Audio only plays through headset when connected through microphone.

Discus and support Audio only plays through headset when connected through microphone. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I recently got a USB microphone, which seems to work really well. It has an audio jack that allows me to hear what it's picking up, and my computer's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mdwnettleton, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Audio only plays through headset when connected through microphone.

I recently got a USB microphone, which seems to work really well. It has an audio jack that allows me to hear what it's picking up, and my computer's audio through the microphone. However, since using it the first time, my computer's had trouble outputting audio. There have been times when the microphone was unconnected, Google Chrome output audio through me computer's speakers, and media player output through my headphones. That was resolved by plugging the microphone back in, plugging my headphones into it, unplugging the headphones, then unplugging the mic.

Right now though, my computer refuses to play audio through it's speakers, or my headphones, unless I plug in my mic and my headphones through it. Media player throws this error when my mic isn't plugged in: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly." I've opened up settings, and it claims the default is speakers or headphones (depending on if I have them plugged in), and that everything routes to the default. Troubleshooting just tells me my drivers are up to date. Audio only outputs if routed through the mic's audio jack. It was working fine about 2 hours ago, and I hadn't plugged the mic in since Thursday, so there's no reason it should have defaulted to the Mic's audio jack suddenly, and trying plugging and unplugging things again didn't work.

submitted by /u/mdwnettleton
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mdwnettleton, Feb 13, 2021
  2. ReeceU Win User

Headset microphone (with audio splitter) not working

My Acer Predator (Helios 300) laptop has a singular audio port, which I use with my headset that has a separate microphone and headphone cable. I have used an audio splitter to get around this issue for a while now, and it has worked perfectly fine. Normally
    when I would plug the splitter in, a prompt would appear asking what type of device was just plugged in, options were headphones, speakers, microphone, headset, and one or two other options that I don't remember because I never used them. I would select "headset"
    and it would work just fine. Recently, something changed. This prompt no longer appears, and my computer no longer acknowledges the microphone on my headset, instead using the default internal microphone. The headphones still play audio like normal, but I
    have found no way to get the microphone working.

If I just plug the microphone chord into the audio jack, it still does not work, and the computer refuses to play audio.

So far I have tried:

• Uninstalling and re-installing the audio drivers (multiple times)
    • Updating windows
    • Running the audio troubleshooters (Both for playing audio and recording)
    • Checking for updates to Dolby
    • Scanning for hardware changes in device manager
    • Disabling the default microphone
    None of these have done anything.

I'm really at a loss here. I consider myself pretty computer savvy but nothing I've tried has gotten me anywhere.

ReeceU, Feb 13, 2021
  3. External microphone not showing in the Recording tab

My Windows 10 laptop is not recognizing any external microphones. I have two headsets: a Bluetooth one and one for an audio jack. Both headsets work correctly on other devices. When I connect the headsets to my computer, I can hear audio, but the microphones
    do not work.

Here are the steps I've taken so far:

• Updated drivers (they were already up to date)
    • From Sound Settings, headsets do not appear as options for the input device
    • Ran the microphone troubleshooter - headsets do not appear as options
    • From Control Panel > Sound > Recording, headsets do not appear as options. I have selected the disabled and disconnected devices options.
    • From Microphone Privacy, all apps have access to the microphone.
    That's everything I found online to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

TechWriterHeather, Feb 13, 2021
  4. Riel Alc Win User

Audio only plays through headset when connected through microphone.

Windows 10 - microphone on headset is connected, but not working (headphones work)

After providing the necessary information, the issue is within the audio jack of your computer. We suggest contacting its manufacturer for better assistance.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Riel Alc, Feb 13, 2021
Thema:

Audio only plays through headset when connected through microphone.

1. Audio only plays through headset when connected through microphone. - Similar Threads - Audio plays through

2. Headset playing sound through microphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headset playing sound through microphone: Hey, the cable from my headset broke and now I got a new one, problem now is, my audio from my pc is playing through my microphone.Things I have tested: 1. removing the microphone does not fix it, it still plays the audio2. if I change to another microphone in my settings, it...
  3. Headset playing sound through microphone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headset playing sound through microphone: Hey, the cable from my headset broke and now I got a new one, problem now is, my audio from my pc is playing through my microphone.Things I have tested: 1. removing the microphone does not fix it, it still plays the audio2. if I change to another microphone in my settings, it...
  4. audio wont play through headset

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    audio wont play through headset: alright, so I get on this morning only to find out I can't hear audio through my headset. I can play audio with the built-in speakers, I can use the microphone on my headset, but I cannot get audio to play through it, it just stops. I've reinstalled drivers, I've reset, I've...
  5. Audio playback through headset microphone

Audio playback through headset microphone: Hi there, so to elaborate a little if any sound comes from an app my headset will show that it is transmitting sound through the "headphones" function designed for speakers. but somehow, this sound is also being played through my microphone somehow. Uninstalling the driver...
  6. Audio plays through my headset

Audio plays through my headset: I just got back on my desktop and I have noticed that my audio has been playing through my headset. When I am in discord I cannot play games or listen to music as people hear it through my headset. I have tried 2 different headsets and both have this issue. although i have...
  7. Laptop audio plays through microphone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop audio plays through microphone: I just got a brand new laptop, and whenever I use my microphone (discord call, camera app, etc.), the actual laptop audio plays through into the microphone. This continues to happen even if I mute the mic via the mute switch on my headset. I only have this problem when I plug...
  8. Audio playing through microphone

Audio playing through microphone: All of my audio is playing through my microphone on discord, teamspeak, game chat etc. and I can't seem to fix it. Its not my microphone because when I mute my mic on my headset the audio still plays. I have tried disabling all of the other audio devices besides my headset...
  9. Fortnite audio playing through microphone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fortnite audio playing through microphone: So while playing fortnite, i'm in a party with others and the problem is they can hear my game audio. I've disabled all options besides microphone, and the issue persists. Any feedback would be appreciated, as this is driving me crazy....
  10. No audio being played through headset

No audio being played through headset: So I just got this headset and as anyone else would I plugged it into my PC, but it doesn't have any sounds coming through. I searched through my sound settings and devices but I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm guessing that my PC isn't detecting my device or some other reason...