Windows 10: Audio only works when "App Volume and Device Preferences" is open

Discus and support Audio only works when "App Volume and Device Preferences" is open in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have Windows 10. My headset audio from Media Player only works when I am in the App Volume and Device Preferences settings page. From iTunes it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Dale2k19, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Dale2k19 Win User

Audio only works when "App Volume and Device Preferences" is open

I have Windows 10. My headset audio from Media Player only works when I am in the App Volume and Device Preferences settings page. From iTunes it quit working at all. In Microsoft Teams, it still works if I choose the headset Hands Free as playback device but headset stereo doesn't work for Teams or for Media Player. When I choose the headset stereo device I get audio only in App Volume and Device Preferences.

If I go back to the main sounds page using the back button on the Settings page, the audio quits. On the main sounds page it the level indicator moves with the music I am playing so the sound is coming that far but not to the headset. I click the App Volume and Device Preferences at the bottom of the Sounds settings page and go into that screen and audio immediately starts in the headset. Click back and it stops. Click in and it plays.

I've run the troubleshooter, have all the audio enhancements unchecked, etc. The troubleshooter says it cannot identify the problem.

The sound worked great until some time yesterday. I restarted my computer because audio to Teams wasn't working. When I logged back in, Teams audio worked but nothing else does.

:)

Dale2k19, Jun 19, 2020
  2. ITM
    itm Win User

How to add desktop shortcut to App volume device preferences?

Thanks. That script opens the Device Properties page for the Mic - see attached screenshot. Any idea how the script can be modified to open the App volume device preferences screen?

Audio only works when "App Volume and Device Preferences" is open [​IMG]

3. RAF2 Win User
    How to add desktop shortcut to App volume device preferences?

You can change the tab number on that script. In my case I've changed from 6 to 7 and worked.

4. davidwUU Win User

The audio output device setting in 'App volume and device preferences' doesn't actually work at all.

In 'App volume and device preferences', I set an output audio device other than the default device for my app. I then closed and reopened the application for my change to take effect.

Windows 10 did remember the sound devices I assigned to the individual app whenever I launched the app. But my app will not output to the assigned audio devices at all. It persists to output to the default one.

What's wrong?

My app is simple enough. It's a console application written with C#.

var synthesizerMy = new SpeechSynthesizer();

//synthesizerMy.SetOutputToDefaultAudioDevice();

synthesizerMy.Speak("Are you ready?");

synthesizerMy.Dispose();

And I am sure that the driver of this assigned audio device works well. When I change the default output audio device to it, my app then will output to this usb audio device.

So, I wonder why the output setting for my app in 'App volume and device preferences' does not work at all.

My Windows 10 Pro is Ver. 1909.

Thank you for your advice.

davidwUU, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Audio only works when "App Volume and Device Preferences" is open - Similar Threads - Audio works App

2. APP Volume and Device Preferences not staying

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    APP Volume and Device Preferences not staying: When I go to my advanced sound options and set my output devices to something other than default, when I restart my PC it switches them all back to default. How can I get them to be persistent and stay on the outputs I have designated them to? submitted by...
  3. App volume and device preferences Disable?

App volume and device preferences Disable?: Is it possible to completely disable that or remove apps from it? I am using Sonic Studio and It cannot hook onto apps that windows is using in there. submitted by /u/Erythreas34 [link] [comments]...
  4. App volume and device preferences not saving

in Windows 10 Customization
    App volume and device preferences not saving: When I amend a volume in the "App Volume and Device Prefences" it is not 'holding'. In other words..I set it at 50% for Audacity, then when I next reopen audacity it has reverted to 100%. What can I do. Windows 10....
  5. "App volume and device preferences" menu is not working properly

"App volume and device preferences" menu is not working properly: I have two audio output devices, Logitech speakers connected via 3.5 jack, and USB headphones. I have the speakers set as default, and I use some applications with the headphones. I'm experiencing 2 issues: 1. Many times some apps that have the audio directed to the...
  6. App volume and device preferences

App volume and device preferences: [ATTACH] For some reason, I didn't have any sound. So, I tried updating the driver, uninstalling it then updating, rollback the driver. I went to services and made sure Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder were running. I even refresh them and everything. So, I...
  7. App volume and device preferences

App volume and device preferences: https://i.imgur.com/E7kKZT4.png For some reason, I didn't have any sound. So, I tried updating the driver, uninstalling it then updating, rollback the driver. I went to services and made sure Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder were running. I even refresh them...
  8. App volume device preferences assistance

App volume device preferences assistance: Hi, I have a custom app that I would like to configure to have a unique sound profile, especially regarding Popup windows that occur within the app itself. My way to try to explore how to do this is to use the new feature Window 10 1803 April 2019. The screenshot below...
  9. App volume and Device Preferences not routing audio to different different devices.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    App volume and Device Preferences not routing audio to different different devices.: As the subject says I have been having this trouble when trying to route the audio for programs to different devices it doesn't work. I can choose the device but it doesn't actually change where the audio is going. I have already tried closing the program and restarting it in...
  10. App Volume and Device Preferences Not Working

App Volume and Device Preferences Not Working: I only found out about this feature a few days ago and decided to tweak a few things within it, nothing major. Though now when I go back to make additional changes, it only shows up briefly without list any apps and then immediately closes. Any idea what this might be?...