Windows 10: Audio Popping and Crackling Sounds

Discus and support Audio Popping and Crackling Sounds in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Ive seen other posts on this subject, but they are now archived or else i would have gone and commented on those, and despite their age, this issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/IHateSoundIssues, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Audio Popping and Crackling Sounds

Ive seen other posts on this subject, but they are now archived or else i would have gone and commented on those, and despite their age, this issue still persists for myself and probably many others.

I first noticed this while playing Fallout 4 recently, with a true directional sound mod. As sounds move around in stereo space there are distinct popping sounds, the same kind of sounds you might hear upon plugging in your speakers or headphones, just crunchy pops all around you as sounds come in or out. I originally put this down to a quirk of the mod and just dealt with it, but upon having the same problem in Golden Light, another game with really good stereo spacing and lots of bassy ambience. You can distinctly tell when a sound has stopped or started as it leaves your... peripheral hearing range (?) as it leaves with a pop and can then be heard re-entering with another. The easiest way to recreate this phenomena however is to find a speaker sound test on Youtube, such as the type with a frequency sweep, and as it rises move the video's volume slider to the left and right, and it will crackle and scratch as the volume changes. This is the same phenomena found in game. I have found that many other games with more simple sound setups don't have this issue, but the games that do have better sound setups are the ones you want to hear, and it completely sucks the life out of it.

My current Headset is the HyperX Cloud 2, and i have also tried my brothers Steelseries Arctis 2, which has the same issue. As far as i can tell i can't reproduce it through my speakers, but this is probably to be expected considering they aren't right next to my ears. The HyperX Cloud 2 comes with a USB converting "sound card", as well as the option to forego that and plug it directly in to the audio jacks, to the same popping effect. The Arctis 2 is jack-input only. All 3 ways have this issue.

After reading up on this issue online i have tried various fixes, such as disabling Fast Boot, uninstalling the Realtek HD Audio drivers and opting for the default Windows audio drivers, i have also tried two DPC Latency programs which say that my pc is fully capable of streaming audio with no issues, and shows green. I have also lowered the sampling rate to no avail. None of the lower qualities fix the issue, except the lowest, which fixes it by virtue of it destroying sound quality so far you wouldn't be able to hear it in the first place. I have disabled all Enhancements and turned off Exclusive Mode, before this i tried enabling Low Frequency Protection but that did nothing to the sound except scoop out the bass, and left the popping behind. Any Spatial Sound options are also turned off. I have also tried the registry editing fix mentioned in another post on here, where you change a value from 1e to 00 in the power management section.

All of my drivers are up to date, double checked as of today. The last Windows Update i had was also today, about an hour ago now. My setup is as follows:

Mobo: AsRock B450M-HDV R4.0

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: PALIT GeForce GTX 1660 Super StormX

Storage:

Gigabyte 240GB SSD (Windows Install)

WD Blue 1TB Hard Drive

PSU: Seasonic S12III 650WATT

Any suggestions, updates or fixes on this issue? It's driving me completely insane. And uh...sorry to everyone who didn't realise they had this issue, that now do, because they went and listened out for it.

submitted by /u/IHateSoundIssues
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/IHateSoundIssues, Jul 20, 2020

2. Crackle/Popping Sound When Playing Audio + Stuttering Video Games

I just built a PC:

• ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING
    • Intel i7 8700k
    • EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB
    • Corsair RMx Series, RM750x 750w
    • Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
    • Seagate 2 TB FireCuda Gaming SSHD
    • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200 MHz
    • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Not currently OC'd, default specs.

Whenever I play audio (YouTube, foobar, VLC player, video games) I can hear a popping/crackling sound whenever I start or stop it. It's like the small crackle sound you hear when you plug in headphones/speakers. This also happens during playback, although not randomly – it's usually a specific part of the audio/video file that causes the popping. I can even find the particular "pop" spot and replay it.

Additionally, whenever I'm playing a video game I get random frame skips at random intervals. This happens in all my video games – WoW, Subnautica, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3.

Originally I had the ASUS Prime z370-A which I thought to be the issue. But I replaced it with the ROG Strix and I can still hear the popping/crackling and the frame skips still happen.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? This is my first build over $1k and I'm very distressed that I cannot find the problem. Could it be the hard drives? RAM, maybe?

Synchro Theus, Jul 20, 2020
  3. John DeV Win User
    Sound Popping/Crackling

Hello E-Berger,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I realized you're upset and I understand you're having problem with your sound popping/crackling issue. Did you made some changes to your computer?

Kindly perform the compiled methods to fix your sound issues.

UPDATE AUDIO DRIVER

Press Windows+X

Select Device Manager

In the Device Manager, click on the arrow next to ‘Sound, video and game controllers’ to expand it.

Right-click on your audio driver and select Update driver. Follow the on-screen instructions to update the driver. Once updated, restart your PC. Hopefully, the audio is restored on your PC.

ROLL BACK DRIVER

Press Windows+X

Select Device Manager

In the Device Manager, click on the arrow next to ‘Sound, video and game controllers’ to expand it.

Right-click on your audio driver and select Properties. Go to the Driver tab and choose Roll Back Driver. Complete the process using the on-screen instructions.

restart your PC

UNINSTALL DRIVER

Press Windows+X

Select Device Manager

Right-click on your audio driver and select Uninstall device. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the driver. Once uninstall, restart your PC. Check whether the realtek comeback in Device Manager. Test the sound again.

TROUBLESHOOT SOUND

Method 1: From Sound Icon

Right-click on the Speaker/Headphone icon in the taskbar of your PC. Select Troubleshoot sound problems. The troubleshooting process will begin.

Method 2: From Settings

If for some reason, the ‘Troubleshoot sound problems’ option isn’t available in the taskbar, you can start it from settings too. For that, follow these steps:

Step 1: Open Windows settings from Start Menu or press Windows + I shortcut.

Step 2: Click on Update & Security followed by Troubleshoot in the left panel.

Step 3: Under Troubleshoot, click on Playing Audio in the right panel. Then hit the Run the troubleshooter button.

Method 3: From Search

Click on the search icon in your taskbar and type troubleshoot. Click on the Troubleshoot settings option. That will directly take you to the troubleshooting window. Click on Playing Audio and hit the Run the troubleshooter button.

CHECK DEFAULT SPEAKER

If you have multiple speakers, you need to set the one that you are using as the default one. Sometimes, after updating Windows, this setting changes, resulting in no sound. To fix it, follow these steps:

Step 1: Search for Control Panel using the search option in the taskbar.

Step 2: In Control Panel, click on Sound.

Step 3: Under the Playback tab, make sure your speakers are set as default. A green tick on them indicates that they are the default. If they aren’t, click on it once and select Set Default at the bottom.

You make check the below article to fix your Sound Issues.

Fix sound problems in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/452028...

How to Fix Crackling or Popping Sound on a Windows PC

https://www.howtogeek.com/285429/how-to-fix-cra...

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely

Independent Advisor

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research
    any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

John DeV, Jul 20, 2020
  4. Audio Popping and Crackling Sounds

Crackling/Popping sounds on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are getting crackling sound while playing back music in Windows.

I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps:

Method 1:

Let’s run the audio playback troubleshooter and check if that helps. Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter.

• Click on the search icon below and type
      Troubleshooting.
    • Then click on the Troubleshooting on the top of the Window.
    • Under hardware and sound, click or tap troubleshoot audio play back.

Method 2:

Download and install the drivers in Windows compatibility mode.

• Download the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right-click on the driver and click on ‘properties’.
    • Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select operating system from the drop down.
    • Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Mohammed Yaseer, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

Audio Popping and Crackling Sounds

1. Audio Popping and Crackling Sounds - Similar Threads - Audio Popping Crackling

2. Audio crackling/popping sounds.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio crackling/popping sounds.: Hello there,Recently I've noticed that my Windows 11 was having some audio issues, especially when audio started/stopped playing you would hear a pop sound, or especially when changing audio levels, either from the windows volume or any app volume slider, you can hear some...
  3. Audio crackling/popping sounds.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio crackling/popping sounds.: Hello there,Recently I've noticed that my Windows 11 was having some audio issues, especially when audio started/stopped playing you would hear a pop sound, or especially when changing audio levels, either from the windows volume or any app volume slider, you can hear some...
  4. Audio popping and crackling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio popping and crackling: Hello,Starting this Monday 28/02/2022, all of my audio through wireless USB headsets have started popping and crackling every few seconds. I have now ruled out 2.4ghz interference, I have completely formatted my drive and re-installed Windows 10, yet the issue still persists....
  5. Sound Crackling/Popping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sound Crackling/Popping: I finally changed my Win7 to Win10 after few years because my friend convinced me. Now all of a sudden i got crackling issues with my audio since the first day i installed it, it comes and goes. YouTube everything! It drives me insane. I tried reinstalling drivers, I even...
  6. Audio Crackling and Popping

Audio Crackling and Popping: I bought a new PC very recently and I'm experiencing crackling and popping audio when skipping videos on YouTube or sounds in windows and while playing games. I'm using Razer Kraken Tournament Edition and they are connected via USB on my motherboard. I've searched for days...
  7. Popping, crackling sound

Popping, crackling sound: I have a Razer Kraken Kitty - Quartz, it's been working fine but recently I hear popping or crackling sounds coming from my headset. My headset is fine when I plug it into other devices so it is not my headset problem. It uses a USB port, when I unplug it and plug it into...
  8. Audio Crackling and Popping

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Audio Crackling and Popping: Right so I recorded some gameplay using the Windows Game Bar Recorder, but whenever I play it the audio is indistict due to crackles and pops. This seems to have been recorded since it happens in the same place each time. IS there a way I can fix this? I can't redo any...
  9. Sound Popping/Crackling

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound Popping/Crackling: Over the past few days my laptop sound has been crackling and popping both through the speakers and headphone jack. I tried all the methods I could find of reinstalling drivers and messing with the sound control panel settings. Does anyone know why this happened? I have a...
  10. Audio popping/crackling

Audio popping/crackling: So after gone trough 3 motherboards, I still get popping/crackling sound with Win 10 pro and current Strix Z390-F motherboard. Iv tried updating every possible driver, even bought Sound Blaster AE-5 sound card, nothing seem to help. I am using latest win 10 version (win...