Windows 10: Audio Popping Issues - Potential Cause Determined

Discus and support Audio Popping Issues - Potential Cause Determined in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This is not so much a help thread, but a general discussion question related to audio drivers and potential Realtek popping causes and I would like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CycloneGU, Dec 10, 2020.

1. CycloneGU Win User

Audio Popping Issues - Potential Cause Determined

This is not so much a help thread, but a general discussion question related to audio drivers and potential Realtek popping causes and I would like discussion instead of assistance here. If I later do my driver update and the issue is not fixed, I'll post a request for help again.

I for a while had no idea what it was, but I have been holding off on advice regarding updating my Realtek Audio driver for a bit because I wanted to try to figure out what the cause of my issue was. And I think I finally figured it out.

This came about when I went for a solid two or three weeks without having any issues, then went to do some highlights on a channel I volunteer for as an editor on Twitch. Two days later, I noticed my computer lagging. Thinking I might be on to something, I rebooted without updating the sound driver. Yesterday, after running for a couple of days, I loaded a live Twitch stream for a little while and then monitored, and sure enough, I am having DPC latency again even with my Chrome browser not running (only Firefox), which means the issue wasn't being caused by Chrome itself. So I think the cause for DPC latency is today's Twitch player and conflicts with Realtek audio driver version 6.0.1.8228 - and if not that, it could very well be something else, but it's most definitely the Twitch player causing it. Because it happened after using the highlights area for Twitch VOD creation, and again on a live stream, so it doesn't matter if it's live or taped. I'm not sure if Youtube causes the issue, but I have been using my laptop for Youtube lately and have not completed such a test to see if the HTML player itself is to blame.

To back up my theory, I was using Twitch immediately after one of my reboot scenarios and, it so happens, within two hours of booting the clicks and pops were happening. After two hours following a reboot. So after thinking back to that, I'm pretty sure the player is the cause.

I'm going to reboot again today in order to have a clean environment for something later, then I'll see about running Twitch again immediately to see if I can trigger a fast latency in a day or two. That would for me all but confirm that the Twitch player is causing the error. What I am curious about is whether anyone else knows about the Twitch player causing issues with older drivers. I'm going to try this again after updating the driver to see if it is fixed. I also want to know if anyone knows of issues with the HTML5 player and whether something might need to be updated regarding that as well in addition to the sound driver. Again, this is general help, not specific for me, as I think this discovery could help other people besides myself.

(As a side note, my music is currently not on this computer, so I have not tested iTunes. I know gaming audio works fine though, and I had no issues for a long time playing games for a couple of weeks.)

:)

CycloneGU, Dec 10, 2020
  2. ddelo Win User

Determine the HDA Realtek driver needed for your Audio

First post updated:
    1. PowerShell script has been updated to version 1.2 (see Release Notes) and
    2. Added a new script to Check Audio device compatibility with an HDA Realtek driver
    Any comments and/or suggestions are most welcome!

HTH. *Smile
    Dimitri

ddelo, Dec 10, 2020
  3. sygnus21 Win User
    method to determine exactly what caused a particular update?

Two suggested articles from Microsoft....

Whether you find the exact cause will determine the level of troubleshooting you go through.

sygnus21, Dec 10, 2020
  4. Kbird Win User

Determine the HDA Realtek driver needed for your Audio

Nice update to the 1st Post Dimitri.......

Thanks,

KB.

Kbird, Dec 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Audio Popping Issues - Potential Cause Determined - Similar Threads - Audio Popping Issues

2. Determine cause of crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Determine cause of crashes: Hello,I've reinstalled Windows twice recently in an attempt to fix buggy performance and crashes. Despite doing my best to ensure drivers are up to date, and anything else I can think of, my PC keeps crashing. It seems to be more when my kids are playing video games....
  3. Determine cause of crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Determine cause of crashes: Hello,I've reinstalled Windows twice recently in an attempt to fix buggy performance and crashes. Despite doing my best to ensure drivers are up to date, and anything else I can think of, my PC keeps crashing. It seems to be more when my kids are playing video games....
  4. How to determine loss of packets caused by a physical layer issue?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to determine loss of packets caused by a physical layer issue?: I know there are lot of reasons for packet loss in other layers. But since when we start troubleshooting it's easier to find problems if we go through OSI model, we should start from the physical layer. There may be other approaches as well. But I need to know specifically...
  5. BSOD and Determining Cause

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD and Determining Cause: Hello,I had a BSOD today. Log determined it was my m2 ssd on which the system is installed. If I attach it the log would you be able to tell me what went wrong Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 20/11/2021 16:35:19 Event ID: 162 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords:...
  6. BSOD and Determining Cause

BSOD and Determining Cause: Hello,I had a BSOD today. Log determined it was my m2 ssd on which the system is installed. If I attach it the log would you be able to tell me what went wrong Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 20/11/2021 16:35:19 Event ID: 162 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords:...
  7. Potentially haunted audio

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Potentially haunted audio: Quick rundown: Plugged in headset mic, mic didnt work. Messed around with settings a bit and checked every google search page on the topic on the entire internet, nothing. Eventually plugged in two headsets, one for output and one for input, it kinda works but mic audio is...
  8. RealTek Audio causing issues, no audio

RealTek Audio causing issues, no audio: Something happened about 2-3 weeks ago where my audio stopped working. Here's how I fix it but it's just a temporary fix: Device Manager > Sound, Video and Game Controllers > RealTek Audio > [toolbar] Uninstall Device > [popup] Delete the driver software for this device >...
  9. Really Annoying and Potentially Very Serious Audio Issue

Really Annoying and Potentially Very Serious Audio Issue: I'm not really sure when this started happening.. Recently, I think. But I have the curse of an absent mind. Memory and many other psychological things come to me with considerable difficulty. But anyways.. I'm getting off-topic already. My audio driver shows up as "High...
  10. Audio Popping issue

Audio Popping issue: I am experiencing an issue with audio popping after fresh installing to windows 10 from windows 7. I mostly notice this issue on internet videos such as html5 or flash and communication software like skype; so far I have not noticed any issue playing any games or anything and...