Windows 10: Audio seems to somehow be stereo without being selected/weird sound output

Discus and support Audio seems to somehow be stereo without being selected/weird sound output in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have seen posts regarding something like this before but it never seems to help my issue, so far I have tried to delete my audio drivers, followed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Aidan McClellan, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Audio seems to somehow be stereo without being selected/weird sound output

I have seen posts regarding something like this before but it never seems to help my issue, so far I have tried to delete my audio drivers, followed some very in-depth steps that all inevitably end in the same situation, it not being fixed. I have run the troubleshooting software that Microsoft provides, it spits out an error that apparently the "generic audio driver" has malfunctioned in some way, this is after me updating drivers so I know it has to do something with the drivers, but nothing is working to resolve the issue. To try to explain a little more in-depth what I am hearing, or lack of hearing, when playing a game, most sounds are fine and dandy, however, when I get to any audio including voice or anything like that there's no audio, I did a 7.1 test and left and right where only working, its as if it is somehow trying to do surround sound but through regular left-right, I have checked my audio software and Microsofts own audio software, it says I am in stereo mode on both. I have tried for a few days now to figure out this issue and I found most of the decent replies for issues where coming from this site so I hope this issue is not too vague or uncommon to not have a fix for, I have tried to include everything I have done to fix this problem on my own. Note my headset is capable of surround sound, if more clarification is needed please feel free to ask as I am only half sure 7.1 even means surround. lol

:)

Aidan McClellan, Jan 20, 2021

2. How to select PCM stereo output for digital audio S/PDIF jack?

I am looking to upgrade the sound from my PC. I wish to bypass the sound card of my computer by plugging in a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) in a USB 2.0 port. I've learned I can stream digital audio that way by selecting my DAC as the default audio output
    device. However, the DAC I am considering also can stream data from the digital optical output on my PC to the DAC. A tech rep for the DAC told me to stream music from both the optical output
    and the USB port alternatively and see which sounds better. However, for the DAC to utilize the digital optical jack it must be set to pulse-code modulation (PCM) stereo output.

Hence my problem. I see no menu option for selecting PCM stereo output as opposed to DTS or Dolby multi-channel audio in my sound controls for the optical output (in the "Supported Formats" section of the "Digital Audio S/PDIF Properties" menu. (Microsoft
    WMA Pro Audio is also offered in that menu, but I don't know what that is or if it changes the digital optical audio output to PCM format.) I would like to utilize the digital optical output from my PC as the DAC rep suggested if at all possible. Please advise.

Deekthe(non)Geek, Jan 20, 2021
  3. How to select PCM stereo output for digital audio S/PDIF jack?

Hi,

The settings for your audio could be managed in a few ways, like through the Control Panel's default program or the program installed along the sound card drivers. That being said, since what you are using is not the default audio output, we suggest that
    you update the sound card driver by checking the manufacturer's website. In the event that what you have already installed is the latest driver for your sound card, we suggest contacting the manufacturer of your sound card to provide you necessary steps on
    how to change your audio into PCM.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Darleen Pen, Jan 20, 2021
  4. Audio seems to somehow be stereo without being selected/weird sound output

Stereo mix showing but not showing audio

A potential solution for those who use digital outputs to a separate sound system for your sounds (rather than speakers or headphones), and have tried all the normal suggestions when Stereo Mix shows up on the recording tab, but shows no audio, and programs
    such as Audacity won't record a signal.

I use digital optical out from my sound card (Realtek High Definition Audio) to my sound system. There are therefore no speakers connected, and no speakers show in the sound settings. And no audio showing in Stereo Mix.

However, connecting headphones instantly solves the problem - stereo mix shows audio, programs like Audacity can record again (plugging headphones in the headphones jack makes no difference to the digital optical output signal = does not mute it).

I would be really interested to know why Stereo Mix will not show audio if there are no speakers or headphones connected.

kafkaschimp, Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

Audio seems to somehow be stereo without being selected/weird sound output

1. Audio seems to somehow be stereo without being selected/weird sound output - Similar Threads - Audio seems somehow

2. how to select the output audio speakers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to select the output audio speakers: windows Media Player suddenly plays through the laptop speakers rather then the Bose speakers. Last night twas fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-the-output-audio-speakers/0fe1ce0f-6271-44e7-b84f-6982ab11c8f4
  3. how to select the output audio speakers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to select the output audio speakers: windows Media Player suddenly plays through the laptop speakers rather then the Bose speakers. Last night twas fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-the-output-audio-speakers/0fe1ce0f-6271-44e7-b84f-6982ab11c8f4
  4. Sound Output Can't Stereo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound Output Can't Stereo: My earphone device can't get stereo soundI've tried my various earphones but they still don't support stereo sound.I've tried updating the latest driver but the result is the same....
  5. Sound Output Can't Stereo

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound Output Can't Stereo: My earphone device can't get stereo soundI've tried my various earphones but they still don't support stereo sound.I've tried updating the latest driver but the result is the same....
  6. Audio seems to somehow be surround sound without being selected, only able to hear...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio seems to somehow be surround sound without being selected, only able to hear...: I have seen posts regarding something like this before but it never seems to help my issue, so far I have tried to delete my audio drivers, followed some very in-depth steps that all inevitably end in the same situation, it not being fixed. I have run the troubleshooting...
  7. HDMI sound have 5.1 sound selected but only stereo is being played

HDMI sound have 5.1 sound selected but only stereo is being played: Hello. I am running hdmi from windows 10 pc to a marantz integrated amp via hdmi. I have selected 5.1 sound but in all movies, it is only outputting in stereo. In the test, all channels work. My sound driver is intel. Ive tried all the different sample rates. Any...
  8. Sound Blaster audio output

Sound Blaster audio output: I have a Dell Computer with Windows 10. Started out with Windows 7 and with automatic updates over the years to Windows 10. Problem: My sound system is Creative Sound Blaster “Recon3D PCIe.” After the last Windows update the sound has been unreliable, such as no sound...
  9. Stereo Mix showing up, but not outputting any sound?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stereo Mix showing up, but not outputting any sound?: I got Stereo Mix in the sound settings to show up after many tries and finally figured out that I needed to install new audio drivers for my sound card, and it was working for a day. I had it so it was listening through my speakers so my speakers could act as a microphone...
  10. Dolby audio formats only outputting stereo

Dolby audio formats only outputting stereo: This only started recently, but regardless of the spacial sound being set to Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, all that's getting output is stereo. The system has an NVIDIA 1080Ti, and the audio is output using the NVidia High Definition Audio driver over HDMI. The signal...