Windows 10: Audio service is not running message

Discus and support Audio service is not running message in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; What does this mean I can play sounds but the speaker on the task bar has a red X next to it?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mikethetaxi, May 13, 2020.

1. Audio service is not running message

What does this mean I can play sounds but the speaker on the task bar has a red X next to it?

:)

mikethetaxi, May 13, 2020

2. After running Audio troubleshooter error: 'one or more audio service isn't running'

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you receive the error message: 'one or more audio service isn't running', this might have occurred due to the audio services.

I suggest you to restart the service, set it to automatic and check if it helps.

Step 1: Stop the Windows Audio service.

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Windows Audio service, right click on it and click on
      Stop.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Start the service and set it to automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Windows Audio service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, May 13, 2020
  3. Audio Services are not running / responding.

Charlie,

The Audio services not responding problem is very likely due to an outdated, corrupted or incompatible audio driver on your Windows. I'd like to ask, what do you mean by "to
    boot in safe mode and or clean boot / wipe the system and that wouldn't be possible in my current situation"? Are you connected via domain server? Are you getting any error messages when you try to boot into safe mode and perform a clean boot?

In the meantime, I suggest that you follow these steps:

Step # 1: Restart your audio services.

1. Press Windows key + R and then type services.msc and click OK.
    2. Find and right-click on "Windows Audio", then click Restart.
    3. Right-click on Windows Audio one more time, this time click Properties.
    4. Set the Startup type to Automatic. Click Apply > OK.
    5. Do the same thing to "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder".
    Note: If the Restart option grayed out, your Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service is not running, click Start instead.

Step # 2: Uninstall the audio driver in the Device Manager. Open Device Manager> Sound, video and game controllers> Right click the driver> Properties> Driver tab> Uninstall Device> Restart
    your PC, and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

Note: If the same issue persists after reinstalling the driver, please contact the audio card manufacturer's website and find and download the correct drivers for your device. Then install it on your computer manually.

You may also refer to Fix sound problems article
    for more information.

Raymond Ave, May 13, 2020
  4. Audio service is not running message

The audio service is not running?!

Hello Abu,

Thank you for keeping us posted on the status of the issue. I would like to assist you further from here.

Please refer to the below steps to start the Audio service and cherck if it helps to resolve the issue

• Open Control Panel and select Administrative Tools, then View Local Services
    • Look for "Windows Audio" NOT "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder"

[Just click on any service, then press the letter "W" on your keyboard, it will take you to the services starting with the "w" letter]
    • Right click on the "Windows Audio" service and choose "Properties"
    • You will see 4 tabs, click on the last one, labeled "Dependencies"
    • In that tab, you will see the "This service depends on the following system components" box, it displays 3 services.

Beside each service there is a "+" icon, click on it to expand the list. The 2nd service will have 2 child services, the 3rd service will have 1 child service.
    • Now make sure that all the 6 services (3 main, 3 child) have the "Started" status in the "Services" window you opened earlier.
    • Most probably you will find one of those services are not running, just start all of them, then try to start the "Window Audio" service from the "General" tab.

However, if the issue is still unresolved, I would suggest you to
    check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Hope this helps.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 13, 2020
Thema:

Audio service is not running message

1. Audio service is not running message - Similar Threads - Audio service running

2. audio service not running

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    audio service not running: when I try to listen to change my sound it says the audio service is not running. ive tried googling it and it tells me to windows and r then type in services.msc, then to right click on windows audio and click restart, but i cant since its greyed out. it also says to double...
  3. Audio Service not running

Audio Service not running: After several trouble free years with my laptop I am now getting this message. I have tried all the recommended solutions on this and other forums but nothing seems to work. I am running Windows 10 and yes, my drivers are up to date. Could this possibly be a hardware problem?...
  4. Audio Service not running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio Service not running: After several trouble free years with my laptop I am now getting this message. I have tried all the recommended solutions on this and other forums but nothing seems to work. I am running Windows 10 and yes, my drivers are up to date. Could this possibly be a hardware problem?...
  5. Audio Service is not running

in Windows 10 Customization
    Audio Service is not running: My speaker Icon has a red X and says that the audio service is not running. I played some audio and it worked just fine. Ran Trouble shooter and no problem was found. Checked the services and all were running as well. This is occurring after the June 8th update....
  6. audio service not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    audio service not running: my audio service is not running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-service-not-running/d1ab9aaf-cf39-47ef-ab72-d94add37d377
  7. The Audio Service is Not Running

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The Audio Service is Not Running: [ATTACH] Hello, so my windows 10 is playing any audio with earphones or without them. It keeps saying the audio service is not running. I have tried a couple of tutorials from YouTube, but none of them seem to work for me....
  8. Audio service not running

Audio service not running: Hi, Since the last two days, my Audio service has stopped. My sound card is working fine, and I have tried the following actions, but they have failed: Tried uninstalling, re-installing and rolling back my audio drivers. Tried to update my audio drivers to the latest...
  9. Audio Services Not Running

Audio Services Not Running: I had audio service until ~7-10 days ago. I think that a Windows update changed the settings. I have tried EVERYTHING to restore or re-install the audio. I even tried a System Restore without success even though I disabled Defender (which blocks a System Restore). What...
  10. the audio service is not running

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    the audio service is not running: i have tried everything found online.... as soon as i open any type of audio i get the x. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_start-windows_10/the-audio-service-is-not-running/3857d1fc-3c27-43b6-8f71-ebb86e83220b