Windows 10: Audio Service not running - troubleshooting gives error 0x80070002

Discus and support Audio Service not running - troubleshooting gives error 0x80070002 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, My computer wasn't starting up, it seemed to be stuck on the BIOS screen. I used the Setup to disable drives etc and finally got my windows 10 to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ikkh, Feb 3, 2019.

1. ikkh Win User

Audio Service not running - troubleshooting gives error 0x80070002

Hi,

My computer wasn't starting up, it seemed to be stuck on the BIOS screen. I used the Setup to disable drives etc and finally got my windows 10 to load normally. However when it came on, I noticed the sound icon in the system tray had an x against it. "Audio Service not running". I tried to run the troubleshooter by clicking on the system tray icon and got the following message -

Package ID: AudioPlaybackDiagnostic

Path: C:\WINDOWS\Diagnostic\Index\AudioPlaybackDiagnostic.xml

Error Code: 0x80070002

Source: Engine
    Context: Elevated

I tried going into Device Manager, updating the drivers for the audio and it found that I had the latest drivers already installed. I deleted both items under audio (uninstalled, actually) and rebooted so that Windows again configures my audio devices but still had the problem with the sound not working.

Settings -> Update & Security -> Troubleshoot

and using it on Audio gives the same problem.

When I try it on Windows Update, it also gives the same error code (Package ID: WindowsUpdateDiagnostic).

I tried to boot into Safe Mode, and still saw the red x for Audio Service.

When I check running Services, the Windows Audio service is setup as automatic, however it is not running currently. When I try to start the service, it says Error 0x80070005 Access is denied.

In reading up on the problem, on some thread I saw about running sfc /scannow after running DISM in an elevated command prompt window. I tried that but the DISM command also stopped at 67% (or so) with error 4448. So, I never ran sfc...

I'm running Windows 10 Home with the October 2018 Feature update installed (it installed in January).

I would appreciate some help in fixing my problems.

:)

ikkh, Feb 3, 2019

2. After running Audio troubleshooter error: 'one or more audio service isn't running'

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you receive the error message: 'one or more audio service isn't running', this might have occurred due to the audio services.

I suggest you to restart the service, set it to automatic and check if it helps.

Step 1: Stop the Windows Audio service.

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Windows Audio service, right click on it and click on
      Stop.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Start the service and set it to automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Windows Audio service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 3, 2019
  3. Kbird Win User
    Latest Realtek HD Audio Driver Version

For me the troubleshooter won't run as the Audio Service gives an error if I am using the Realtek/Nahimic Drivers from MSI.

Kbird, Feb 3, 2019
  4. Audio Service not running - troubleshooting gives error 0x80070002

Audio Services are not running / responding.

Charlie,

The Audio services not responding problem is very likely due to an outdated, corrupted or incompatible audio driver on your Windows. I'd like to ask, what do you mean by "to
    boot in safe mode and or clean boot / wipe the system and that wouldn't be possible in my current situation"? Are you connected via domain server? Are you getting any error messages when you try to boot into safe mode and perform a clean boot?

In the meantime, I suggest that you follow these steps:

Step # 1: Restart your audio services.

1. Press Windows key + R and then type services.msc and click OK.
    2. Find and right-click on "Windows Audio", then click Restart.
    3. Right-click on Windows Audio one more time, this time click Properties.
    4. Set the Startup type to Automatic. Click Apply > OK.
    5. Do the same thing to "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder".
    Note: If the Restart option grayed out, your Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service is not running, click Start instead.

Step # 2: Uninstall the audio driver in the Device Manager. Open Device Manager> Sound, video and game controllers> Right click the driver> Properties> Driver tab> Uninstall Device> Restart
    your PC, and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

Note: If the same issue persists after reinstalling the driver, please contact the audio card manufacturer's website and find and download the correct drivers for your device. Then install it on your computer manually.

You may also refer to Fix sound problems article
    for more information.

Raymond Ave, Feb 3, 2019
Thema:

Audio Service not running - troubleshooting gives error 0x80070002

1. Audio Service not running - troubleshooting gives error 0x80070002 - Similar Threads - Audio Service running

2. Audio Service not running

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Service not running: After several trouble free years with my laptop I am now getting this message. I have tried all the recommended solutions on this and other forums but nothing seems to work. I am running Windows 10 and yes, my drivers are up to date. Could this possibly be a hardware problem?...
  3. Audio Service not running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio Service not running: After several trouble free years with my laptop I am now getting this message. I have tried all the recommended solutions on this and other forums but nothing seems to work. I am running Windows 10 and yes, my drivers are up to date. Could this possibly be a hardware problem?...
  4. Windows Update gives an error of 0x80070002

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update gives an error of 0x80070002: Windows Update gives an error of 0x80070002 I opened Windows Update on my Win 10 PC. There is the following message: Error Encountered. Your device is missing important security and quality fixes. There were problems downloading some updates, but we'll try again...
  5. audio service not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    audio service not running: my audio service is not running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-service-not-running/d1ab9aaf-cf39-47ef-ab72-d94add37d377
  6. Audio service not running

Audio service not running: Hi, Since the last two days, my Audio service has stopped. My sound card is working fine, and I have tried the following actions, but they have failed: Tried uninstalling, re-installing and rolling back my audio drivers. Tried to update my audio drivers to the latest...
  7. When running "Windows Update" in services it gives an error.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    When running "Windows Update" in services it gives an error.: Hi, I've been trying to run the "Windows update" service from disabled to automatic it gives me this error message saying "Access is denied". My account is an administrator and I've also tried running services.msc as an administrator and it gives me the same message. I'm...
  8. Windows 10 Pro Activation Troubleshooting Error 0x80070002

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro Activation Troubleshooting Error 0x80070002: Hi All, Would really appreciate if someone can advise me on the following error: - This is a custom built pc I bought 4 years back that came pre-installed with windows 10 - Have had no problems until recently an "activate windows" watermark appeared in the lower right...
  9. Audio Services Not Running

Audio Services Not Running: I had audio service until ~7-10 days ago. I think that a Windows update changed the settings. I have tried EVERYTHING to restore or re-install the audio. I even tried a System Restore without success even though I disabled Defender (which blocks a System Restore). What...
  10. the audio service is not running

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    the audio service is not running: i have tried everything found online.... as soon as i open any type of audio i get the x. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_start-windows_10/the-audio-service-is-not-running/3857d1fc-3c27-43b6-8f71-ebb86e83220b

Users found this page by searching for:

1. audioplayback 0x80070002