Windows 10: Audio / Sound issue after KB4571756 Windows 10 Update High Definition Audio Device

Discus and support Audio / Sound issue after KB4571756 Windows 10 Update High Definition Audio Device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello all. I am currently undergoing a lot of issues with my Windows 10 OS. The build that I have is the Windows 10 Build 2004, and it's the Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hexados, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Hexados Win User

Audio / Sound issue after KB4571756 Windows 10 Update High Definition Audio Device

Hello all. I am currently undergoing a lot of issues with my Windows 10 OS. The build that I have is the Windows 10 Build 2004, and it's the Windows 10 Pro x64 version. I am 100% certain that this update caused me a handful of issues. The first issue is the most notable one, which is the sound. Every single time I turn on my PC, I get this very annoying prompt about me not having any audio output device inserted. All my drivers are indeed up-to-date I've made sure some 10 times now. I have the latest updates including all the optional updates that Microsoft provides for Windows 10 users. Everything was pretty much fine up until this KB4571756 which was forced on my OS. The first time, it gave me a Black Screen of Death, and I had to force my PC into diagnostic repair mode before it reaches the Desktop to be able to uninstall it. I thought maybe it was a corrupt update, so I gave it another shot and downloaded it again. It worked, but this time, I have audio issues. I made sure everything was fine from my end and that it is the OS's fault for not recognizing my devices, and indeed it was! It took me 8 HOURS just to be able to find the exact approach to fix this BUG that has been inserted in my system, and it's not even a permanent fix. I have to repeat these steps every single time I log on, which is very annoying!!

In any case, for those who are suffering from this, here is what I did to bring the audio back for at least this session:

The first thing that you have to do is reinstall your drivers because the "Microsoft Help" to troubleshoot sound issues and install drivers actually makes things worse! I use Realtek High Definition Audio, so I downloaded the corresponding drivers for it. Do the same with your own drivers, based on what they require so, not necessarily Realtek

To do this:

1- Write "Device Manager" in your search bar
    2- Open it, and go down to "Sound, video and game controllers" and select "High Definition Audio Device". Right-click it and select "Update Driver".

3- "Browse my computer for Drivers" => "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" => "Realtek High Definition Audio Version: 6.0.1.8186 [6/14/2017]" and let it install.

NOTE: If you are using Realtek, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, INSTALL "Realtek High Definition Audio Version: 6.0.1.8531 [9/4/2018]". Instead, install "Realtek High Definition Audio Version: 6.0.1.8186 [6/14/2017]". Installing the former WILL result in a Blue Screen of Death with System Service Exception Stop culprit: rtkvhd64.sys

NOT DONE YET Unfortunately!

Now that that pesky driver from the "Troubleshooting Assistant", follow these steps to enable the sound again:

1- Go to your Search bar and type in "Sound Settings". You will see that everything is at 0 and the prompt tells you that there are no input nor output audio devices connected/detected.

2- Here, go to the upper right pane where you see "Ease of Access audio settings". See that "Change device volume" under "Make your device easier to hear"? THAT'S the cause of all your troubles. It's set to 0!

3- Try changing that to higher volumes, and if it doesn't work, then go to the option exactly below it: "Change the device or app volume". All of the sudden, your OS is picking up your devices!! But alas, it's STILL not done! There is still that annoying sign that tells you that "No Audio Output Device is installed" in the task bar, at the bottom right of your screen!

4- In any case, your audio issues have been fixed ONLY FOR THIS SESSION... you have to repeat it after you restart, like I am. Just change that "Master Volume" after you've pressed that "Change the device or app volume". You can also access it again now just by searching "Sound Settings" as done previously.

Still, that annoying "No Sound" icon remains to the bottom left of the taskbar. How to fix THAT? Well, it's also annoying.

1- Restart your computer

2- DO NOT go to Troubleshooting assistant. Instead, just repeat the last 4 steps since the driver IS installed on your device

3- Go to "Sound Settings" and go to the top right and press "Sound Control Panel". You will be able to see now in the "Playback" your audio device. Double-click it, go to "Levels" tab and change the "Line In" volume a bit.

4- Now go to the "Advanced" tab and change the "Default Format". I went for "16-bit, 44100 Hz CD Quality".

5- Just below it, there is "Exclusive Mode" . Make sure that BOTH boxes are unchecked.

6- Run a test by pressing the "Test" button to make sure everything is as you like, and then close everything

7- Go to that bottom right of your taskbar now, and right-click the audio icon. You will see "Speaker Setup UNKNOWN". Well, select "OFF" and the icon will now change back as if you had no audio issues whatsoever. Again, all these steps, you have to repeat them every time you restart your computer.

MICROSOFT!! WHEN WILL YOU FIX THIS HORRIBLE BUG?!! It all happened from that one update!! It won't even let me uninstall it either!! Oh, and to make matters worse, I tried to repair install the Build 2004 whilst keeping all my files, and not only did it backfire, but I was almost at the point of no return because it actually corrupted my File Explorer!! I couldn't see a thing! It was all a white page with no drives displaying, no folders opening, no recovery windows appearing!

So, the list of things that YOU HAVE TO FIX:

1- Troubleshooting the Audio that one just backfires because it's just not compatible with KB4571756

2- Fix Update KB4571756 itself!!!!

Oh, and by the way, DISM fix is also failing. I literally exhausted every single source of information I can get my hands on to fix this error, and it STILL gives me the same error that it cannot find the source files. I created all the necessary files, I downloaded the Build 2004 ISO using the Windows Media Creator, and even converted the install.esd to install.wim. All backfired. Mounting the ISO and running DISM with source and both with and without limitaccess? Backfired. Extracting the files and running DISM? Backfired. Moving the files running DISM? Backfired. Cleaning up the store components and doing all the previous processes one by one in both CMD and Powershell? BACKFIRED!! I never had this issue in earlier build! Come to think of it, I got this issue since build 1903. I only remember it working ONCE, but that was it. After that, DISM never really worked again well, everything except restorehealth.

UPDATE: Upon further investigation, I found out that the ASUS High Defintion Audio Manager is failing to pick up ANY audio device! When I click on the connected jacks, it does seem to detect what type of device I'm connecting and telling me that I should just choose and press "OK". Well, I do that, but it still tell me the following:

You are seeing a blank page because there is no audio devices plugged in the system. To activate the GUI, please plug an audio device in the system.

Directory: C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe

So much for this update...

:)

Hexados, Sep 11, 2020
  2. kleph Win User

Realtek High Definition Audio and High Definition Audio Device missing

Hello,
    Basic info:
    I'm using a Dell G5 15 gaming notebook with Windows 10 for about half a year. Pretty early on I got sound problems such as occasional static sound, static sound when playing yt video and a game at the same time and such. I found a fix to this by going to the Device Manager and changing High Definition Audio Device to Realtek High Definition Audio which would fix it for some time and then I'd have to do it again.
    Problem:
    But now I don't have Realtek High Definition Audio nor High Definition Audio Device in the device manager, I only have Realtek Audio. ( and Intel display audio, NVIDIA high definition audio, NVIDIA virtual audio device, but I don't think these are relevant) So the sound is low quality, muffled and there's the occasional static sound. I tried installing Realtek High Definition Audio driver from the original Dell G5 15 site, so it should be compatible, the installation goes well, but there is no change in the actual audio. Looking for help on how to fix this. Thanks

kleph, Sep 11, 2020
  3. AMD High Definition Audio Device Not Plugged In

John,

Thanks for your suggestion, but the sound playback device was greyed out again this morning and reads: "AMD High Definition Audio Device Not Plugged In".

Once again, uninstalling AMD High Definition Audio Device and deleting the driver in the Device Manager and rebooting brought the sound device back.

Any other ideas?

Nada Realname, Sep 11, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Audio / Sound issue after KB4571756 Windows 10 Update High Definition Audio Device

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Not Working

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to update the driver and check if the issue persist.

Follow the steps to Update the driver and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click
      Device Manager.
    • Select IDT High Definition Audio CODEC on Device Manager.
    • Select the Driver tab.
    • Click on Update Driver.
    • Select the option “browse my computer for driver software”.
    • Select the option “let me pick up a list of device drivers on my computer”.
    • Select the High Definition Audio Device instead of IDT High Definition" And click next.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Audio / Sound issue after KB4571756 Windows 10 Update High Definition Audio Device - Similar Threads - Audio Sound issue

2. High definition audio device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High definition audio device: I have been trying to update my HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE DRIVER. However the following message pops up - windows found drives for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them. This device cannot startcode 10.How do I go about this....
  3. High definition audio device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High definition audio device: I have been trying to update my HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE DRIVER. However the following message pops up - windows found drives for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them. This device cannot startcode 10.How do I go about this....
  4. High definition audio device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. High Definition Audio Device Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High Definition Audio Device Issue: I've tried everything from factory resetting, going into the device manager and updating and rolling back the High Definition Audio Device over and over, installing all sorts of other audio drives. I've been trying all sorts of things for 2 days straight, I'm on the brink of...
  6. High Definition Audio Device Issue

High Definition Audio Device Issue: I've tried everything from factory resetting, going into the device manager and updating and rolling back the High Definition Audio Device over and over, installing all sorts of other audio drives. I've been trying all sorts of things for 2 days straight, I'm on the brink of...
  7. High Definition Audio Device Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. high definition audio device

high definition audio device: Hello, I have tried for days. Everytime I get a windows update my sound is shut off. I have tried a dozen times to download "high defintion audio device" but it will not show up in device manager under sound to install it. Any advice?...
  9. Weird sound driver issue with High Definition Audio Device driver.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird sound driver issue with High Definition Audio Device driver.: For the last few months, there's been something off about the sound from computer. It's most pronounced if I'm watching Twitch, where there will be a major volume difference between the streamer's mic and the game audio, and no, it is not due to an individual streamer's...
  10. No sound from Realtek High Definition Audio device

No sound from Realtek High Definition Audio device: Hi all, I'll try to tell the story from start to finish to provide all the detail possible. Originally, I used to use my old RIG headset on my computer using a spliter that was connected to my monitor and I had it in combination with some speakers connected to the...
Tags: