Windows 10: Audio Stopped working after updating windows

Discus and support Audio Stopped working after updating windows in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After I updated Windows 10 on my PC, a cumulative update for 1809, my audio stopped working. I use a headset for my default audio device. I have tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ben L. 243, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Audio Stopped working after updating windows

After I updated Windows 10 on my PC, a cumulative update for 1809, my audio stopped working. I use a headset for my default audio device. I have tried multiple solutions all of which have failed. For example I reinstalled my audio driver, troubleshooted playable audio, changed default format, and disabled and re enabled my audio driver and headset via the device manager. I even tried out a pair of earbuds and they didn't work either my guess is that there is something wrong with my audio driver or the windows update messed it up but I am not 100% sure.

:)

Ben L. 243, Mar 14, 2019

2. audio stopped working, windows 10

upgraded to windows 10 by reservation few days ago... compatibility test result was fine... audio stopped working all of a sudden... tried upgrading the driver software in device manager
    but in vain... also tried these methods suggested by Microsoft help community... but the audio is still not working, neither speakers nor headphones

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the Playing Audio troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Playing Audio.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.

Method 2:

If there no updated drivers available on the computer manufacturer’s website, then try installing it in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows. Follow these steps to install the drivers
    in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Download the audio driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘Properties’.
    • Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done,
      restart the computer and check if the issue persists

gomo_vivek, Mar 14, 2019
  3. After I installed the updates KB3176936, KB3176934, and KB3176495, the audio stopped working

I'm facing a problem after I installed the updates KB3176936, KB3176934, and KB3176495, the audio stopped working.

I contact Dell's support and together we tried to:

• Update the driver
    • Reinstall the driver
    • Uninstall the driver to use windows suggested drivers.
    • Remove the drivers to use the microsoft drivers.
    • Run sfc
    • Run Dell Assist Tools
    • Run Driver updates tools
    • Uninstalled the Windows updates.

None fixed the problem.

During the RCA I restored my computer 3 times and the issue is not on the sound card, since when I restore the system it works.

I'd like to know what would be the next steps.

Is Microsft release a patch for the update that is breaking the audio?

Diego Vivo, Mar 14, 2019
  4. Audio Stopped working after updating windows

Have windows 10, and suddenly my audio stopped

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As the above description is not clear, do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the exactly issue you are facing with audio and how exactly are you trying to access it?
    • What exactly do you mean by: Have windows 10, and suddenly my audio stopped?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system, prior to this issue?

I suggest you to install all the pending updates and audio drivers and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to update the audio drivers from Device Manager and check.

Steps:

• Right click on the Start
      button from the desktop and select Device Manager.

• Expand Audio inputs and outputs, right click on
      High Definition Audio Device and click on Update driver software.

• Also, try to search for the drivers with the help of model number of your computer from the Manufacturer’s website and install them.

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates after upgrade to Windows 10.

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 14, 2019
Thema:

Audio Stopped working after updating windows

1. Audio Stopped working after updating windows - Similar Threads - Audio Stopped working

2. audio not working after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    audio not working after update: I think I need my old driver. my audio stopped working. this has happened before https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-not-working-after-update/bc39bae1-4ed7-459c-9204-b7b70d6d9d1f
  3. audio not working after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    audio not working after update: I think I need my old driver. my audio stopped working. this has happened before https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-not-working-after-update/bc39bae1-4ed7-459c-9204-b7b70d6d9d1f
  4. After crashing, audio stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After crashing, audio stopped working: Hi! Today I was using my Lenovo laptop and it suddenly crashed. Afterwards, when it turned back on, the sound suddenly stopped working. I tried many proposals from other related posts such as unistalling drivers, updating drivers, checking if windows audio is running in...
  5. audio stopped working after latest windows update

audio stopped working after latest windows update: So a while back, I had an audio issue on my computer where my earphones were recognised as speakers conexant smartaudio hd and I couldn't hear any sound from my laptop speakers at all, but I could hear it from my earphones. I was able to trace the driver back from my laptop...
  6. Audio jack stopped working after latest update

Audio jack stopped working after latest update: The latest update the one that introduces a new version of edge and that was forced on me against my will on 26 August 2020 has stopped my audio jack from functioning correctly. The audio jack can no longer recognise devices headphones, headsets, speakers, microphones, etc....
  7. Windows audio not working after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows audio not working after update: Hi! I just had a windows update on my laptop and after the update, the audio suddenly stopped working. I plugged in some earphones and there was no audio. Nothing comes out of the speaker as well. (Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362) Upon clicking the audio button on my taskbar,...
  8. After 1903 update audio jack stop working.

After 1903 update audio jack stop working.: I have updated windows 1903, now audio jack doesn't work. If you put headphones and then restart my laptop, it start working in next boot. And after that if I remove headphones and re-plug it stop working. Speakers working fine, I have update all drivers, removed audio...
  9. Audio stopped working after the recent Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Audio stopped working after the recent Windows 10 update: The audio on my Laptop was working fine before the update, but after the update it has stopped working and the speaker icon in the task bar has a red "x" on it, also if I put my cursor over it it says "the audio service is not running". I've tried using the audio...
  10. Windows Audio and Audio endpoint builder stopped working after update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Audio and Audio endpoint builder stopped working after update.: Hi guys. Last night ( July 9th ), I updated and restarted my computer. I only noticed the day after that the sound stopped working on my computer. When I hover over the speaker option on the taskbar at the bottom, it says "The Audio Service isn't running". When I noticed...