Windows 10: Audio Stopped Working Overnight

Discus and support Audio Stopped Working Overnight in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I woke up this morning and turned on my laptop and I noticed that the audio wasn't working. When I hovered over it, it said that no device was plugged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MisaelDominguez, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Audio Stopped Working Overnight

I woke up this morning and turned on my laptop and I noticed that the audio wasn't working. When I hovered over it, it said that no device was plugged in but I have a laptop and I just used it to watch videos not even 5 hours ago. I went to DxDiag and it generated the below message for the Sound Tab

[High Definition Audio Controller] [PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A348&SUBSYS_121A1462&REV_10\3&11583659&2&FB] [This device cannot start.]

I then created a text for the report and this is what shows up:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 3/15/2019, 09:56:28

Machine name: MSI

Machine Id: {47795000-05B1-4C6D-A174-963B4E90C3EC}

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.

System Model: GL73 8RC

BIOS: E17C6IMS.101 (type: UEFI)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 32768MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 32614MB RAM

Page File: 7422MB used, 27239MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: 110 DPI (114 percent)

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Enabled

Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported

DxDiag Version: 10.00.17763.0001 64bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Display Tab 2: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.

Input Tab: No problems found.

Keep in mind, I already downloaded and installed the audio driver but I still can't seem to get it to work. I need help ASAP.

:)

MisaelDominguez, Mar 15, 2019

2. audio stopped working, windows 10

upgraded to windows 10 by reservation few days ago... compatibility test result was fine... audio stopped working all of a sudden... tried upgrading the driver software in device manager
    but in vain... also tried these methods suggested by Microsoft help community... but the audio is still not working, neither speakers nor headphones

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the Playing Audio troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Playing Audio.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.

Method 2:

If there no updated drivers available on the computer manufacturer’s website, then try installing it in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows. Follow these steps to install the drivers
    in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Download the audio driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘Properties’.
    • Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done,
      restart the computer and check if the issue persists

gomo_vivek, Mar 15, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Audio services not responding - Audio randomly stopped working

Try the equivalent on your system of this (not all terms may precisely match your setup)
    (from Guide: How to Fix Audio Not Working in Windows 10 : Windows10)

Note: as you may have found, a number of threads on this topic are unsolved.

You may wish to consider doing an in-place upgrade repair install if no solution is found.

Also consider the possibility of hardware failure. You could check the card is seated, cables secure.

dalchina, Mar 15, 2019
  4. Audio Stopped Working Overnight

After I installed the updates KB3176936, KB3176934, and KB3176495, the audio stopped working

I'm facing a problem after I installed the updates KB3176936, KB3176934, and KB3176495, the audio stopped working.

I contact Dell's support and together we tried to:

• Update the driver
    • Reinstall the driver
    • Uninstall the driver to use windows suggested drivers.
    • Remove the drivers to use the microsoft drivers.
    • Run sfc
    • Run Dell Assist Tools
    • Run Driver updates tools
    • Uninstalled the Windows updates.

None fixed the problem.

During the RCA I restored my computer 3 times and the issue is not on the sound card, since when I restore the system it works.

I'd like to know what would be the next steps.

Is Microsft release a patch for the update that is breaking the audio?

Diego Vivo, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

Audio Stopped Working Overnight

1. Audio Stopped Working Overnight - Similar Threads - Audio Stopped Working

2. Search Stopped Working OVernight

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Stopped Working OVernight: It doesn't matter how I try to get into Windows 11 Search, nothing works: the link on Taskbar doesn't even open the Search Bar; Start Menu opens & works, but when I tried to use Search Bar, entire Start Menu closes; when I open File Explorer, everything works but won't allow...
  3. Search Stopped Working OVernight

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Stopped Working OVernight: It doesn't matter how I try to get into Windows 11 Search, nothing works: the link on Taskbar doesn't even open the Search Bar; Start Menu opens & works, but when I tried to use Search Bar, entire Start Menu closes; when I open File Explorer, everything works but won't allow...
  4. Loss of headphones' audio overnight

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Loss of headphones' audio overnight: Hello, I am currently using a 2021 Lenovo Legion 5, my headphones have just lost sound after going out of sleep mode overnight. -My laptop still detects the headphones and the equalizer bar still rises when I play an application with sound.-Both my laptop speaker and external...
  5. Windows 10 PIN stops working overnight

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 PIN stops working overnight: So the strangeness starts with the fact that if my computer updates and resets it doesnt replay my YT videos. So I had woken up to the login screen with one playing in the BG. I have the option to sleep and everything disabled to avoid this, but I thought no biggy until I...
  6. 360 controller (wired) stopped working overnight

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    360 controller (wired) stopped working overnight: Yesterday it worked fine, this morning I wake up and annoyingly find my laptop automatically shut itself off in the night because I don't get warnings when it does a Windows update, and the 360 controller now flashes once before going unresponsive whenever I plug it in. under...
  7. microphone suddenly stop working overnight with no changes to the pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    microphone suddenly stop working overnight with no changes to the pc: title pretty much, there hadn't been any new updates or changes made to settings recently and my mic no longer works. I've checked permissions, reinstalled drivers, checked if its muted, used a different headset + mic combo and checked that its detected and enabled all of...
  8. Ethernet connection stopped working overnight

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet connection stopped working overnight: I'm on a Windows 10 computer. Overnight there was a big thunderstorm although I don't think that has anything to do with the ethernet connection, but figured I'd put it in here. System specs : Manufacturer : ABS computer technologies Processor : IntelR Core i7-8700K CPU @...
  9. Audio stopped working overnight and I am very confused

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Audio stopped working overnight and I am very confused: Hello there! I have a MSI GF63 8RC laptop and my audio stopped working overnight. I used my laptop last night and the audio headphones worked perfectly until I shut it down. In the morning, I turned on my laptop and realized that the audio simply didn't work. I plugged my...
  10. Audio stopped working overnight, cannot find Realtek Driver even after reinstalling?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio stopped working overnight, cannot find Realtek Driver even after reinstalling?: Hello! As the title states, one day after starting up my PC suddenly my audio stopped working. I usually have a headset plugged into the front aux and mic port but they weren't showing up in the audio input/output though maybe I should note that if I use my screen's aux port...