Windows 10: Audio stops playing when user is switched in Windows 10

Discus and support Audio stops playing when user is switched in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; With old computer (Win 7), changing the local user would leave Windows Media Player happily playing the audio selected by the first user. With Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AlSchober_PE, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Audio stops playing when user is switched in Windows 10

With old computer (Win 7), changing the local user would leave Windows Media Player happily playing the audio selected by the first user. With Win 10 on a new (1 week) machine, changing the local user stops or at least silences the playback. I'd like to know if this shutdown/pause of the audio is something that can be changed? When we change back to the original user, the audio resumes but I'm not sure if it was just paused or running with no output.

Did some more checking. Changing local user seems to pause WMP. Clicking on the 'play' triangle (as the original user) resumes playing where it stopped. Suspect this may have been done for Win 10 so the second user is free to play their own audio.

***Modified title from: Win10 - Audio behavior when changing user.***

:)

AlSchober_PE, Nov 8, 2019

2. audio stopped working, windows 10

upgraded to windows 10 by reservation few days ago... compatibility test result was fine... audio stopped working all of a sudden... tried upgrading the driver software in device manager
    but in vain... also tried these methods suggested by Microsoft help community... but the audio is still not working, neither speakers nor headphones

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the Playing Audio troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Playing Audio.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.

Method 2:

If there no updated drivers available on the computer manufacturer’s website, then try installing it in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows. Follow these steps to install the drivers
    in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Download the audio driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘Properties’.
    • Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done,
      restart the computer and check if the issue persists

gomo_vivek, Nov 8, 2019
  3. No sound while playing audio and video files.

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer to a few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• Which is the application that you are using to play the files?
    • Did you try the same on a different player?
    • Did you perform any troubleshooting steps?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to check if the volume is set low or in mute state in Volume Mixer.

• Right click on sound icon.
    • Open Volume Mixer check for the application that you are playing the files with and increase the volume and check.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to run “Playing audio” troubleshooter to diagnose and fix the issue.

Follow these Steps to run Playing Audio Troubleshooter in Windows 10.

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Playing audio.

Also refer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Hope the information helps in resolving the issue related to the sound issue. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Nov 8, 2019
  4. Audio stops playing when user is switched in Windows 10

Have windows 10, and suddenly my audio stopped

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As the above description is not clear, do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the exactly issue you are facing with audio and how exactly are you trying to access it?
    • What exactly do you mean by: Have windows 10, and suddenly my audio stopped?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system, prior to this issue?

I suggest you to install all the pending updates and audio drivers and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to update the audio drivers from Device Manager and check.

Steps:

• Right click on the Start
      button from the desktop and select Device Manager.

• Expand Audio inputs and outputs, right click on
      High Definition Audio Device and click on Update driver software.

• Also, try to search for the drivers with the help of model number of your computer from the Manufacturer’s website and install them.

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates after upgrade to Windows 10.

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Audio stops playing when user is switched in Windows 10

1. Audio stops playing when user is switched in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Audio stops playing

2. Audio switched to loud & distorted, playing even when muted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio switched to loud & distorted, playing even when muted: My computer finally snuck in the windows 11 update... please let me know if reverting would fix this.I found this when I was playing games Halo MCC; whenever a match begins, the volume becomes distorted and ear-breakingly loud. This can be fixed from system -> sound ->...
  3. Audio switched to loud & distorted, playing even when muted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio switched to loud & distorted, playing even when muted: My computer finally snuck in the windows 11 update... please let me know if reverting would fix this.I found this when I was playing games Halo MCC; whenever a match begins, the volume becomes distorted and ear-breakingly loud. This can be fixed from system -> sound ->...
  4. Audio stopped playing on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio stopped playing on Windows 11: So the audio on my Lenovo 330s-15ikb does not play suddenly. On the taskbar it shows the volume is at full, but in settings its 0, and even if I try to increase it, it just decreases suddenly. I have tried everything, from restarting the Windows Audio and Windows Audio End...
  5. Audio stopped playing on Windows 11

Audio stopped playing on Windows 11: So the audio on my Lenovo 330s-15ikb does not play suddenly. On the taskbar it shows the volume is at full, but in settings its 0, and even if I try to increase it, it just decreases suddenly. I have tried everything, from restarting the Windows Audio and Windows Audio End...
  6. Stop Windows 11 from switching to USB audio when plugged in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop Windows 11 from switching to USB audio when plugged in.: This question has been asked numerous time and has not gotten a satisfactory answer to I will try again.I am a Ham operator and bought a USB audio device to use for communications. Every time I plug in my USB audio device, windows switches to using it as the default device...
  7. Stop Windows 11 from switching to USB audio when plugged in.

Stop Windows 11 from switching to USB audio when plugged in.: This question has been asked numerous time and has not gotten a satisfactory answer to I will try again.I am a Ham operator and bought a USB audio device to use for communications. Every time I plug in my USB audio device, windows switches to using it as the default device...
  8. No audio when playing Minecraft Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio when playing Minecraft Windows 10: Hey, so basically whenever i try to play minecraft there is no audio. I've placed the sliders all the way to 100% in the settings Minecraft is not mute in my equalizer settings I've run the audio troubleshooter with no success I've reinstalled Minecraft about 8 times now....
  9. Background audio (Pandora) turns off when switching user

in Windows 10 Support
    Background audio (Pandora) turns off when switching user: When I had windows 7 I could go to my internet browsing user (my only user with internet access) and navigate to the Pandora Music Webpage (or youtube or whatever) and start streaming music, and when I switched to my other user that did not have internet access for security...
  10. Switch User in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Switch User in Windows 10: How to: Switch User in Windows 10 How to Switch User in Windows 10 If you have more than one user account on your PC, Fast User Switching is an easy way for you to switch between accounts or for another user to sign in to Windows without signing you out or closing your...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 switch users media stops

2. sound stops when user switched