Windows 10: Audio Volume keeps spiking

Discus and support Audio Volume keeps spiking in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So recently as of about the beginning of December the volume of my PC has been spiking at random ties for random periods of time.I know it's my PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JohnBlanchard2, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Audio Volume keeps spiking

So recently as of about the beginning of December the volume of my PC has been spiking at random ties for random periods of time.I know it's my PC volume because every program making noise spikes at once. Game, video, music, etc.The weird thing is, that the actual volume VALUE isn't changing, only the actual audio decibels coming out of the speakers. If it's at 50, it's still at 50 when the volume spikes. And it will spike for anywhere from a few second to minutes at a time, then when it reverts after I've turned it down to avoid hearing damage it's so quiet I can barely hear anything. S

:)

JohnBlanchard2, Jan 8, 2022
  2. Dimmel Win User

volume spiking bug

sortvind & vfoster,

I too have been battling the sound spiking problem that both of you have described. I have been installing every new Realtek HD audio driver in hopes that the volume spiking issue gets resolved. As you are well aware, the problem is still there.

These are the things that I have done in trying to get this driver bug fixed but haven't been very successful:

1. Spoke with a Microsoft audio engineer on the Windows team. He confirmed that the problem was indeed a Realtek driver issue and that he would open a bug report for Realtek to address the problem. I've sent a couple emails asking for the status but haven't heard anything.

2. Posted a message on the Windows 10 feedback app regarding the spiking volume problem.

3. Sent an email to 'L: [email protected]'. This email address is for support regarding HD audio codecs at Realtek. I even sent a Realtek HD audio dump file in hopes of providing more information. I have sent three emails but haven't heard back from any of my attempts.

I wish I knew a good contact person at Realtek. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have seen numerous message boards where people describe the same issue regarding the volume spiking. It's hard for me to believe that the Realtek HD audio developers/testers haven't encountered this problem. I'm baffled and frustrated.

Dimmel, Jan 8, 2022
  3. Volume spiking

When I pause a video, and then unpause the volume spikes ( a lot). But the windows volume control doesn't change. And when i then manually lower or increase the volume it then resets and works as it should.

Volume also spikes when loading a new video, on youtube or netflix for example.

I have tried reinstalling the audio drivers, multiple times. And this does not solve this issue.

What is wrong, and how do I get this fixed!?

From what I can gather, it seems windows by default is trying to boost my audio, because I have the windows volume so low and the speakers on high - so I can with ease adjust the volume to my liking without having to change the speakers every time.

Please help me. I love my new upgraded windows 10, its splendid, aside from this issue. Which is a big issue for me, especially since I'm studying from home and have to watch a lot of video recorded lessons and listen to a lot of audio exercises for my course.

MarthinaEling, Jan 8, 2022
  4. Audio Volume keeps spiking

Audio louder than usual until volume is changed

Update for you, Andrei: I uninstalled my RealTek HD audio driver, but no MaxxPro driver is listed in my Control Panel programs, so I couldn't uninstall it. I rebooted. Then from the RealTek link you provided, I installed the latest RealTek HD driver for my Windows 64-bit, as you directed. Then I rebooted again. Alas, the audio spikes are still there, both on iTunes and YouTube.

With iTunes, I can pause any song multiple times and then hit play again, and I do NOT get an audio spike. But If I click to a DIFFERENT song and hit play, the volume spikes up. Moving my Windows speaker sound slider in either direction brings the audio back to reality.

On YouTube, it spikes when I hit play on any video and can be corrected (again) by moving the Windows speaker sound slider. Unlike iTunes, it WILL spike again after I pause the video and then hit play again, and also will spike if I click play on a different video.

Also, it spikes when an email comes in and plays the Windows bong. The audio remains at about double the volume until I move that speaker audio slider up or down.

Something seems to be telling the speaker volume to boost when it detects a new sound, and it won't return to its usual volume until I tweak that Windows speaker slider.

I can't find a RealTek HD Audio Manager that looks like the one you posted, but I can configure it somewhat in a Control Panel window under "Sound" and "Realtek High Definition Audio." I tried it with "Loudness Equalization" checked and unchecked. No difference, still getting volume spikes.

It's a minor issue, I don't want anyone to obsess over this (as I am), but if anyone has another suggestion, I'm listening. Oh year, maybe I'll try that utility you suggested. I'll let you know what happens.

DaveTheRave, Jan 8, 2022
Thema:

Audio Volume keeps spiking

1. Audio Volume keeps spiking - Similar Threads - Audio Volume keeps

2. Microphone audio keeps randomly spiking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microphone audio keeps randomly spiking: Didn't know what topic to put this in, but every time I join a discord call my microphone audio defaults to the lowest possible volume and whenever i speak louder to someone it spikes all the way up to the loudest it can be and then goes back down. I've tried everything to...
  3. Microphone audio keeps randomly spiking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone audio keeps randomly spiking: Didn't know what topic to put this in, but every time I join a discord call my microphone audio defaults to the lowest possible volume and whenever i speak louder to someone it spikes all the way up to the loudest it can be and then goes back down. I've tried everything to...
  4. Microphone audio keeps randomly spiking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. audio spikes randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    audio spikes randomly: when I start playing audio, it will go up to a very high volume for a split second, then go back down.this only happens sometimes and most often after the computer hasnt been outputting audio for a while.[moved from de-de]...
  6. audio spikes randomly

audio spikes randomly: when I start playing audio, it will go up to a very high volume for a split second, then go back down.this only happens sometimes and most often after the computer hasnt been outputting audio for a while.[moved from de-de]...
  7. Audio Volume keeps spiking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio Volume keeps spiking: So recently as of about the beginning of December the volume of my PC has been spiking at random ties for random periods of time.I know it's my PC volume because every program making noise spikes at once. Game, video, music, etc.The weird thing is, that the actual volume...
  8. Audio Volume keeps spiking

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Volume keeps spiking: So recently as of about the beginning of December the volume of my PC has been spiking at random ties for random periods of time.I know it's my PC volume because every program making noise spikes at once. Game, video, music, etc.The weird thing is, that the actual volume...
  9. Volume on Microphone randomly spikes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume on Microphone randomly spikes: Using steam voice chat and my microphone's volume keeps spiking really loudly, sometimes when I'm not even near my laptop. Please help. have a Microsoft surface pro, bought just last year....
  10. Audio volume keeps forcing to zero.

Audio volume keeps forcing to zero.: Something keeps forcing the audio volume level to zero on my Dell Inspiron 3185 (Windows 10). Whatever it is, it is also displaying a volume control slider on the upper left corner of my home screen. I can adjust the volume with this slider, but in a second or two it goes...